• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - New Season. New Thread. New QB?

Tom Brady will be a free agent

Yeah. Signing him for one year would be our best choice.

According to this, cutting Shaq would shave $4.58M for next year and over $17M for the next three years.

https://catcrave.com/2021/02/19/carolina-panthers-3-options-shaq-thompson/3/

That would be a plus. But if Chinn is going to move to safety, we’d need a whole new LB corps.

We could trade Shaq but I doubt we could get anything of note for him.

I saw on Twitter that I think trading CMC would be a 21m cap hit so might not be the best option

Kinda feels like they are waffling somewhere between “rebuild” and win now? We can’t jet too many pieces and then get Watson excited to come here.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - New Season. New Thread. New QB?

Kinda feels like they are waffling somewhere between “rebuild” and win now? We can’t jet too many pieces and then get Watson excited to come here.

Right. We started a rebuild from last draft that looks pretty good on defense. But there's an elite QB who may be on the market.

From the NFL app:

The Carolina Panthers announced Monday the signing of wide receivers Brandon Zylstra and Keith Kirkwood to one-year deals. Both were set to be restricted free agents. The team also announced Monday that it promoted assistant line coach Frank Okam to defensive line coach and added Garrett McGuire and Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton as coaching assistants. Knighton and McGuire previously played under Panthers head coach Matt Rhule at Temple and Baylor, respectively.
——
These hires happened last month.

Rhule’s cronyism better pay off. McGuire just graduated and he’s getting an NFL assistant job. At least Knighton had an NFL career.

Last edited:
Teddy Bridgewater unfollowed Panthers on social media... breaking news

Right. We started a rebuild from last draft that looks pretty good on defense. But there's an elite QB who may be on the market.

From the NFL app:

The Carolina Panthers announced Monday the signing of wide receivers Brandon Zylstra and Keith Kirkwood to one-year deals. Both were set to be restricted free agents. The team also announced Monday that it promoted assistant line coach Frank Okam to defensive line coach and added Garrett McGuire and Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton as coaching assistants. Knighton and McGuire previously played under Panthers head coach Matt Rhule at Temple and Baylor, respectively.
——
These hires happened last month.

Rhule’s cronyism better pay off. McGuire just graduated and he’s getting an NFL assistant job. At least Knighton had an NFL career.

Right? Rhule is beyond shameless on bringing in both former players and coaches. Trump-esque, if you will...

I get how Teddy feels because the Panthers have been so openly brazen about wanting to move on contrasted to a SF or Minn, who are both maintaining radio silence. That said, I don't see another team paying Teddy to be a starter. If I'm WFT, I think I'd rather start Smith or Cam. And I can't believe Belichick would have any interest. So here's another idea if you don't want to draft a rookie. Any interest in Trubisky on a cheap 1 year deal? If I'm Trubisky, I want the hell out of Chicago.

Trubisky has a higher ceiling than Teddy. A good deal would make it work. Settling for Trubisky if we can’t get Watson is much better than trading up for Trubisky and passing on Watson.

The Athletic mock has us taking Lance. Farley and Surtain at 9 and 10, Pitts at 11, Slater and a LT from USC at 12 and 13.

Last edited:
We should be able to get Trubisky to sign the same contract Teddy signed. I don't think he'd be any better though.

I would rather just go 0-16 then revaluate next year than roll out Mitch Trubisky

Is that really where we are in the process now?

I have no confidence in the owner knowing dick about how to run a sports team with those prices he just rolled out for a guaranteed to be shitty soccer team in a best case half full stadium that wouldn’t have a good atmosphere anyway. Absurd

I would rather just go 0-16 then revaluate next year than roll out Mitch Trubisky

Is that really where we are in the process now?

Basically yeah. Tepper/Hurney/Rhule completely botched the QB situation. We could get Watson which would fix everything. But they fucked up.

We've be much better off right now if we had never drafted Grier, signed Cam to a team friendly prove it contract, held on to Heinecke, and obviously never signed Teddy B. Based on the contract, we could let Cam go in a more dignified way. We'd have Heinecke as a capable back up in hand. We'd probably still be in the same situation with about the same #8 pick without money tied up in Teddy for next year.

Yeah, Heinicke looked surprisingly decent for WFT. And if you do get Watson, you won't have much to put around him. Was it Rhule, Tepper or both that were determined to move on from Cam last year?

Yeah, Heinicke looked surprisingly decent for WFT. And if you do get Watson, you won't have much to put around him. Was it Rhule, Tepper or both that were determined to move on from Cam last year?

Cam's cap hit and declining skills determined moving on.

I'm still not sure about Cam's shoulder. He looked pretty decent throwing the ball early last year but then struggled as the season wore on. And NE had the worst group of WRs in the league. I can see him getting a cheap starting gig in NE, WFT or Chi. NE was in cap jail last year but have a lot of cap space this year. It'll be interesting to see what they do in FA.

Back