• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

What’s an example of a another quarterback like Mac Jones that experts were really trying to force to be better than he clearly was?

What’s an example of a another quarterback like Mac Jones that experts were really trying to force to be better than he clearly was?

Ryan Leaf. Jared Goff. Carson Wentz.

At least in those years, they did it to create a narrative around which QB would be #1. This year, it’s really unnecessary.

I've moved on from the Watson idea. Let the process play out, but no chance you can make that move as things stand.

Guitardeac, how did your source not see this coming? Did this really take the Texans and Panthers by surprise?

I think it did. From what I gathered it was a total bombshell out of nowhere.

Here’s Tepper’s philosophy. At Appaloosa, for the most important job (by far) on his team he hires the best possible person no matter the cost. And he doesn’t hire an unproven rookie and hope and wait he turns out to be great. He doesn’t have time for that and the learning curve is too costly. For the most important job you hire a damn stud and sure thing. You do what it takes to make that happen and your business will be successful. Certainly, QB is that job on the football team he owns. Now, this Watson thing keeps getting worse and I’m sure there’s limits to what Tepper can swallow (not a real good use of terms there) for that philosophy. I will find out more probably this saturday night. I also think that Tepper in the end will listen to Rhule and Fitterer. You have to remember, Rhule has extreme and I mean extreme confidence in his ability to make a player reach his potential. Tepper does as well.

It would take a perfect storm for Tepper to be talked into a rookie QB and I don’t see that happening at pick 8. But minds change and who knows? Like I said, I’m sure I will find out some more this weekend and I will report back and help out best I can.

That philosophy is all well and good for his company, but in football rarely is a stud QB like Watson available. Usually your best options are a Darnold or Jimmy G. Otherwise it’s on to the draft.

I think it did. From what I gathered it was a total bombshell out of nowhere.

Here’s Tepper’s philosophy. At Appaloosa, for the most important job (by far) on his team he hires the best possible person no matter the cost. And he doesn’t hire an unproven rookie and hope and wait he turns out to be great. He doesn’t have time for that and the learning curve is too costly. For the most important job you hire a damn stud and sure thing. You do what it takes to make that happen and your business will be successful. Certainly, QB is that job on the football team he owns. Now, this Watson thing keeps getting worse and I’m sure there’s limits to what Tepper can swallow (not a real good use of terms there) for that philosophy. I will find out more probably this saturday night. I also think that Tepper in the end will listen to Rhule and Fitterer. You have to remember, Rhule has extreme and I mean extreme confidence in his ability to make a player reach his potential. Tepper does as well.

It would take a perfect storm for Tepper to be talked into a rookie QB and I don’t see that happening at pick 8. But minds change and who knows? Like I said, I’m sure I will find out some more this weekend and I will report back and help out best I can.

Unless you have Brady or Manning taking a discount, pretty much every SB winning teams these days has a QB on a rookie deal.

KC - Mahomes
Eagles - Wentz/Foles
Seahawks - Wilson
Ravens - Flacco

It looks like 1-4 now will be Lawrence, Wilson, Jones and Fields. I think Detroit and Denver stick with Goff and Lock this year and give them the chance to see if they're the future. So there's a good chance Lance is there at 8. The other thing you could do is what WTF and NE are doing, going with bridge QBs until next year when Watson, Ryan, Rodgers, Garoppolo and maybe Wilson hit the market. Belichick is playing this QB market well because he'll be the preferred destination for whoever he wants of that group. That's why I think it wasn't wise to burn bridges with Teddy in such a public manner. Alex Smith is still out there, but I can't see him playing 17 games.

The more this situation develops, the more confident I am that Teddy should be our QB this season. I'd like to judge him after a real offseason and pre-season, and with the opportunity to play with CMC, arguably the best offensive weapon in football. Teddy isn't going to carry the team, but I don't think he has to. Right now, we have a glaring hole at TE. Fixing that with a guy like Pitts lifts the entire offense.

I'm more than happy to watch 4 qbs go in the first 7 picks. Give me Pitts, Parsons, or Sewell. Take a guy like Mond in the 3rd or 4th round and hope to hit big.

I've started to get on the Kellen Mond bandwagon.

In the 1st or 2nd? I like him a lot more than Trask, but I'm still iffy on him as a legit franchise QB. I liken him to Hurts last year. Chris Simms likes him, so he has that going for him.

The more this situation develops, the more confident I am that Teddy should be our QB this season. I'd like to judge him after a real offseason and pre-season, and with the opportunity to play with CMC, arguably the best offensive weapon in football. Teddy isn't going to carry the team, but I don't think he has to. Right now, we have a glaring hole at TE. Fixing that with a guy like Pitts lifts the entire offense.

I'm more than happy to watch 4 qbs go in the first 7 picks. Give me Pitts, Parsons, or Sewell. Take a guy like Mond in the 3rd or 4th round and hope to hit big.

If Teddy is the starting QB, CMC will be "injured" all year again this season. Those two aren't playing together.

In the 1st or 2nd? I like him a lot more than Trask, but I'm still iffy on him as a legit franchise QB. I liken him to Hurts last year. Chris Simms likes him, so he has that going for him.

If we do not trade any picks, I like him with our 3rd round pick. I think second round is pushing it.

If we do not trade any picks, I like him with our 3rd round pick. I think second round is pushing it.

Most mocks and the ratings have him as a 2nd round grade, as is Trask. The QB who appears to be climbing from the 3rd to maybe the 2nd now is Mills from Stanford.

Okay, I'm sold on Pitts due to his #measurables.

I posted a good while back that Tepper et al were enamored with Pitts and at the time at least he was the most likely pick.

Back