• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Same thing is happening to Fields that happened to Deshaun re: falling in draft. If he goes to the Pats (or another legit, established franchise), he'll end up being the best QB of this draft, maybe by a mile.

Who did I #boardsbet a nice bottle of whiskey or red wine that Fields will be better than Wilson? Think we gave it 3 years. My total confidence that Wilson will be a bust likely means he's the next Mahomes, though. My Wilson comp is Manziel and my Fields comp is Watson.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - QB or not QB? That is the question.

I don’t think we can claim who will be better between Wilson or Fields. It’s going to take a little time for both. Same for Lance obviously. I’d be shocked if Jones or Trask are better than Wilson or Fields though.

Last edited:
Here’s what I just learned.

Tepper et al are still full on Watson as of now. They think he’s cheaper and they still want to get him. Tepper received a unsolicited phone call yesterday from a former coach who Watson is very close to (you can figure this one out guys) and he gave extremely good background info on Watson and just in general spoke very very high of Deshaun. I won’t get into the details but Tepper took note. The Panthers - and this might be true of other teams - are not super worried about the outcome of the massage scandal. Their research at this point (and I have not read the SI article) tells them that there’s really only one of the allegations that could be a problem. The one about forcing oral sex. I won’t get into much else on this topic for fear of offending. It’s also apparently widely thought among the NFL front offices and certainly the Panthers that the NFL will not discipline Watson in a way that would impact his ability to be on the field. It’s their mindset that in spite of what it looks like at this point, the NFL is damn sure not going to discipline a young black NFL player if they didn’t do anything to Robert Kraft a rich white owner. Apparently there are more similarities to the two situations than is being spread by the plaintiff attorney and SI etc. and that would all come out in the wash and would not be pretty for the NFL and Kraft etc. House of cards. So the NFL will likely stay as far from this as they can if possible.

The Panthers are NOT going to draft a QB in the first round. Absolutely no way. It’s likely Pitts at this point who is by far their favorite, then possibly Sewell and they also like the LSU receiver. They think Mac Jones can’t hit the broad side of a barn, same for Fields or that Fields doesn’t know where the barn is, and they are not trusting their team with a guy from North Dakota State. Period. They would draft Lawrence obviously and they would probably draft Wilson but they certainly aren’t going to be available.

I will find out more this weekend. Please don’t flame. Just trying to help

Really hope the two bolded sentences turn out to be correct. Exhaust all options to get Watson. He would be a franchise-changer. Don't take a risk on a 1st round QB not named Lawrence or Wilson. If 3 or 4 QBs are taken with the first 4 picks, should leave several outstanding players to choose from and fill another need for the team. Continue building while pursuing all avenues to get a proven QB. Give Teddy another year with (hopefully) all weapons available to see if he can be average or a little better.

Yet another mock

https://www.yahoo.com/news/carolina-panthers-mock-draft-1-152351163.html

1. Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
2. Leatherwood, T, Alabama
3. Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB, Syracuse
4. Osa Odighizuwa, DT, UCLA
5. Kendrick Green, G, Illinois
6. Whop ("There he is") Philyor, WR, Indiana
6. K.J. Britt, LB, Auburn
6. Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon St

I agree with that writer not to trade up. Too much of a crapshoot, and this team has lots of needs. I’d be thrilled with Pitts.

Same thing is happening to Fields that happened to Deshaun re: falling in draft. If he goes to the Pats (or another legit, established franchise), he'll end up being the best QB of this draft, maybe by a mile.

Who did I #boardsbet a nice bottle of whiskey or red wine that Fields will be better than Wilson? Think we gave it 3 years. My total confidence that Wilson will be a bust likely means he's the next Mahomes, though. My Wilson comp is Manziel and my Fields comp is Watson.

While I don't necessarily agree or disagree with you on Fields, I think he has the highest ceiling and lowest floor of the 5 top QBs. You watch him the previous year or watching him against Clemson gutting it out in pain, and it's easy to see why people were asking who was better between him and Lawrence. Then you watch the Northwestern, Indiana and Bama games this year where he looked confused with the coverages, and you start to wonder. In order to beat Northwestern, they just ran the ball and wouldn't let him throw it in the 4th quarter. And it's not his fault he played in a college offense where he wasn't asked to go through progressions. So if you're a GM, you just need to figure out how well he'll translate to a pro offense and if he has a Goff/Darnold quality where NFL defenses can figure out how to confuse him like Belichick has done with both Goff and Darnold. So is he a more athletic Goff or the next Watson/Murray?

And you've identified my biggest fear in this draft - handing Fields or Lance to Belichick. As I've said, I think Atl takes Pitts and tries to win the next 3 years by outscoring opponents. Guitar has consistently maintained Car isn't going with a rookie. Det didn't trade for Goff to immediately replace him with a rookie - they're grabbing a WR or Parsons. Den is interesting. I think they're prepared to go with Lock this year, and if he flames out, they'll go after Rodgers, Watson or Wilson next offseason. But if Fields is on the board at 9, they could decide it'd be crazy to pass on him. Phi and NYG appear ready to build around their QBs for at least this year. So yeah, I think Belichick is going to luck into Lance or maybe even Fields, and possibly without trading up, unless WTF moves to 14.

If we don’t get Watson, then we pass on Fields and Lance, I guess I’ll trust that we made the right decision until proven otherwise, but I’ll be very skeptical.

It sure as hell better be a franchise LT in our laps if thats the case

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - QB or not QB? That is the question.

If we don’t get Watson, then we pass on Fields and Lance, I guess I’ll trust that we made the right decision until proven otherwise, but I’ll be very skeptical.

I’d trade up a few spots for a franchise LT. Is that still the word on Sewell?

The Athletic talked to league personnel after each team’s FA moves. Some interesting thoughts about the Panthers.

NFL free agency wins, losses and questions for all 32 teams: Execs on Pats and Giants’ spending, Bucs’ strategy, more https://theathletic.com/2492892/202...-pats-and-giants-spending-bucs-strategy-more/

————

Coach Matt Rhule and new GM Scott Fitterer made clear before free agency the Panthers would not be big spenders. Entering into modest short-term deals has kept the public focus on what the Panthers might have in store for their future at quarterback, but the moves Carolina did make drew both positive and negative reviews within the league.

“I was shocked they gave $8 million fully guaranteed to Cam Erving coming off a year where he was making $2.5 million with Dallas, played only six games and before that, was not good in Kansas City when he had to replace Eric Fisher,” an exec said. “That seemed like a misreading of the market.”

The merits of any one deal will vary, of course. In looking at the Panthers’ free agency more broadly, the team did build upside into most of its signings.

“I think they kind of found a little bit of a market inefficiency here,” another exec said. “There were a bunch of guys signing one-year prove-it deals this year. Carolina signed guys that should be on one-year prove-it deals for a little bit more and got a second year out of it, where if they hit on some of them, they’re going to be in really good shape next year with underpaid players.”

True, but the cap space used for those deals wasn’t readily available. The Panthers created space specifically for these signings of lower-level free agents.

The Panthers determined Erving could help provide versatility to an offensive line led by tackle Taylor Moton, who received the $13.7 million franchise tag. Meanwhile, Fitterer reached into his Seattle past to sign receiver David Moore to a two-year, $4.75 million contract after Curtis Samuel left for Washington on a three-year, $34.5 million deal.

“I don’t know if they did much to help them or hurt them,” an evaluator said. “They like those offensive linemen. The problem with Curtis Samuel is knowing how to play him. He is kind of a joker with no real set position, so I can see why they let him go. I could have seen the owner inserting himself there and pushing to add players, but it seems like a pretty conservative, solid approach.”

Last edited:
are you guys insane? lawrence is going 1, wilson is going 2, lance or fields is going 3, and the other one will 100% be gone before 8

FWIW, Ph, Cincy was out in force at Oregon's pro day. You'd have to trade with Atl, and I don't know why they'd trade with a division opponent. Another thing you could do is trade back some spots and take Darrisaw or hope to land Cosmi early in the 2nd.

So two 1sts and a 3rd now?

Houston police announced Watson under criminal investigation

I find it odd that Buzbee said he was going to take everything to the police, then the next week said he wouldn't cooperate with the police because the outgoing chief is biased against him. That's complete bullshit. Buzbee clearly wants to try the case in the media and get some quick money. I still think it's more likely that, if the police do file criminal charges against Watson, it'll be for solicitation, and the proof will be in the amount of money exchanged for the services rendered.

If the charges are solicitation, how could he assault the "massage therapists" by having sex with them? That's literally what he paid for.

If the charges are solicitation, how could he assault the "massage therapists" by having sex with them? That's literally what he paid for.

Bingo. That's what I've been thinking all along, especially because I don't trust a word Buzbee utters. But if this many women were paid in the $200 range, then I am much more inclined to view their stories credibly, in which case Watson is going to have lots of problems and may miss considerable time and be out a lot of money. But when 1 of the 1st few cases filed had the massage therapist flying from Atlanta to Houston to meet him at a hotel, that's when I started thinking that Watson was paying for kraftier massages.

What's the weekend update that ultimately leads to us drafting a WR at #8?

we just traded for darnold.

6th round pick this year, 2nd and 4th next year.

Back