• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

So you're hoping Darnold is good enough this year for Houston to be excited in trading for him next year? Houston probably won't need because they'll have the 1st pick next year.

I’m certainly not hoping for that because I don’t want Deshaun Watson on the team I cheer for, unless things get cleared up quite a bit

so what?

he wasn't good in college... he wasn't good in the pros... maybe he's just not good?

This. Chalk 1 up for Joe Douglass. Most of the ESPN talking heads have been saying NYJ should trade down and stick with Darnold. Why do that when you have a rookie on a rookie contract who looked way better in college than Darnold did? I like what Douglass and Saleh are doing there.

So whose call was this, Tepper's or Rhule's?

Need to pick up Todd Gurley too. Will buy jersey.

I had to google fumbles and Darnold because fumbles weren't part of the stats I was seeing. In 27 games at USC, he had 22 picks, 20 fumbles, with 14 of those lost. The TO issue isn't new to him.

I like Darnold, I believe a change of scenery will help him a lot, especially being out of New York. At the same time there were quite a few reports about NFL GMs and insiders stating he flat out sucks and nothing can help that. Hey if he turns it around, great and cheap, if he doesn’t then still didn’t give up much, similar compensation to Josh Rosen trade.

Well then we pick Pitts or maybe even more likely now. Sewell. If available. For once in his life Darnold can throw while standing upright.

Panthers still need to work on that OL, but yes, he should/will be better protected than he was with the Jets.

I don't like the deal for a 1 year rental of Darnold. Are you going to pick up his 5th year option sight unseen? I wouldn't. Maybe Rhule can rehab him into being decent, but he's been a TO machine at both USC and NYJ. I just don't see him becoming a top 20 QB. Oh well, guess this means Watson won't be on the market till next offseason. I just don't like seeing that much 2022 draft capital going out the door when next year you'll be giving up 2-3 1sts for Watson, Rodgers or Wilson.

HE's a free agent after next season? Don't like that part of the deal.

Edit - I see Carolina picked up the 5th year so two years of Darnold unless moved.

Last edited:
Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - Our QB Sam Darnold

I think trading down to get that 2nd back is very much in play now, btw.

No way. Don’t give up a shot to get the 3rd or 4th best non-QB.

I’m pretty sure the staff sat down and talked with Robbie Anderson to see if he thinks Darnold would work out with the Panthers. He would know.

Last edited:
So you're hoping Darnold is good enough this year for Houston to be excited in trading for him next year? Houston probably won't need because they'll have the 1st pick next year.

Huh? If guitar is serious (who knows at this point), and the Panthers flipped him to Houston as part of a deal for Deshaun, then obviously the 5th year option would be part of that deal, and they'd be picking it up next year. Perhaps you're saying Houston would never agree to that in a trade, which also sounds likely.

p excited to see what guitardeac's sauces have to say tomorrow morning

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - Our QB Sam Darnold

Kiper was on ESPN and said he has us taking Sewell now, which I would be ecstatic with. Waddle, Smith, Surtain or Parsons would all seem like consolation prizes.

Last edited:
Kiper was on ESPN and said he has us taking Sewell now, which I would be ecstatic with. Waddle, Smith, Surtain and Parsons would all seem like consolation prizes.

If we finally have our first talented LT since Jordan Gross it will be a party.

I will likely find out more tonight. I was just told very quickly today by my source that Tepper is far from done with Watson. I don’t think I misunderstood. He used the word “ potential chip” when talking about this trade for Darnold. I just think it sounds like it’s not over. I may change my mind after tonight.

2nd year highlights, age 22 season. better than last year's trainwreck of a team. at least watch until the play 52 seconds in...

this move might not work, but i advocated for it before it went down. the 2 year cost is not much for a potential QB (both in terms of picks and what we're paying him). his deal is actually similar to what we did with Teddy last year. so if he still sucks it's obvious we can try again soon. gase coached tannehill too before tannehill became a decent QB. and tannehill didn't get good until he was 30.

Talking to some of my Jets fan friends and they are all pissed at this deal - they all think Carolina definitely won this deal only having to give up a 6th this year and a 2nd/4th next year.

Oh well...lol at the Jets.

Talking to some of my Jets fan friends and they are all pissed at this deal - they all think Carolina definitely won this deal only having to give up a 6th this year and a 2nd/4th next year.

Oh well...lol at the Jets.

Jets fans aren't allowed to be happy this time of year.

Back