• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Well yeah. They got something for a player they didn’t want.

Twitter comments say Jets won the trade, FWIW

As a Jets fan I think we won also, if only that Darnold is not a good QB. Can’t recoup the pick when we took him...but he ended up like I thought he would be. Jets love to draft QBs, they are just not good at it. I don’t think Wilson is the answer either. I don’t trust the one season wonders...or Alabama QBs.

No sense is is still being in on Watson, for all reasons.

How does a jets fan know what winning, trade or otherwise, looks like?

Obvious post is obvious, but we're now pulling for the Broncos or Pats to jump up ahead of us with Atlanta or the Bengals.

If that happens, good chance Pitts or Sewell will be in our lap at 8

Sounds like the Broncos were also interested in Darnold so they’re thinking QB

Being a Jet fan, Ive watched Darnold since Day 1 and I think he's a great pick up by the Panthers. Guy experienced the worst support/coaching Staff ever in the NFL and a team that had zero talent around him. I predict great things for Sam, who's 23 years old.
Looking forward to going up to Charlotte for the Panther-Jet game this year wearing my Jet Darnold jersey.

so what?

he wasn't good in college... he wasn't good in the pros... maybe he's just not good?

Go watch some film on him. Almost every play he's running for his life, receivers getting no separation, and poor play designs with no easy check downs. Can't definitively say he's trash until he has a shot with a better team.

Go watch some film on him. Almost every play he's running for his life, receivers getting no separation, and poor play designs with no easy check downs. Can't definitively say he's trash until he has a shot with a better team.

Yeah, last year wasn't anything to go by. NYJ finally got their LT in Becton, but the rest of the line needs help, and their starting WRs missed most of the season - and weren't special to begin with. Losing Anderson hurt. But even his 1st 2 years, he wasn't that impressive, and he's had a consistent TO problem. The positive you have is Brady at OC. Maybe he can get the most out of Sam, which is turning it over less, being an okay starting QB and no longer seeing ghosts. But I doubt we'll see a day where anyone thinks he's 1 of the 15 best at the position.

Being a Jet fan, Ive watched Darnold since Day 1 and I think he's a great pick up by the Panthers. Guy experienced the worst support/coaching Staff ever in the NFL and a team that had zero talent around him. I predict great things for Sam, who's 23 years old.
Looking forward to going up to Charlotte for the Panther-Jet game this year wearing my Jet Darnold jersey.

I hope you're right. The Panthers are betting the Jets staff just sucked that much. Robbie Anderson worked well with him and blew up last year, so I hope they can be a dynamic combination going forward.

Gotta say that cville deac has A LOT invested in the Carolina Panthers QB discussion.

Yeah, last year wasn't anything to go by. NYJ finally got their LT in Becton, but the rest of the line needs help, and their starting WRs missed most of the season - and weren't special to begin with. Losing Anderson hurt. But even his 1st 2 years, he wasn't that impressive, and he's had a consistent TO problem. The positive you have is Brady at OC. Maybe he can get the most out of Sam, which is turning it over less, being an okay starting QB and no longer seeing ghosts. But I doubt we'll see a day where anyone thinks he's 1 of the 15 best at the position.

Joe Brady took Burrow from a middle tier SEC QB and fringe draft pick to the Heisman and #1 draft pick. Darnold is a similar style QB (albeit definitely more turnover prone).

Darnold also had a higher QBR under Gase than Tannehill did, and things have worked out pretty damn well for him since he escaped.

Love this deal for the Panthers. Ignoring the shitshow that is the Jets, if Darnold were in this draft at his current age he’d be the #2 QB behind Lawrence. So to get him for basically a 2nd and a 4th is a steal. Plus throw in the clear path to a top-5 player in this year’s draft rather than an overvalued QB is fantastic. It also means CMC won’t be “injured” again this year. Put the draft focus on the Oline, give Darnold some solid skill players in Anderson, Moore, and obviously CMC with Brady’s playcalling that should put him in a position to succeed, and let the young defense grow. I’m excited to watch them this season.

Love this deal for the Panthers. Ignoring the shitshow that is the Jets, if Darnold were in this draft at his current age he’d be the #2 QB behind Lawrence. So to get him for basically a 2nd and a 4th is a steal. Plus throw in the clear path to a top-5 player in this year’s draft rather than an overvalued QB is fantastic. It also means CMC won’t be “injured” again this year. Put the draft focus on the Oline, give Darnold some solid skill players in Anderson, Moore, and obviously CMC with Brady’s playcalling that should put him in a position to succeed, and let the young defense grow. I’m excited to watch them this season.

To play devil's advocate (and as an tOSU/Fields shill) what in the world would put Darnold above Fields or Wilson? It's not like he has some sort of superior arm talent/athleticism and he had 42 turnovers in two years on a pretty stacked USC offense.

Can't find it now, but there was a video up on ESPN with one of their talking heads suggesting that we should still take Fields if he is available. He said we'd have 2 reasonably cheap years to decide if we want to keep Darnold and would immediately have his replacement still on his rookie contract if we don't.

If no one takes Fields or trades up to get him, then it would likely mean that Sewell, Pitts and Chase would all be off the board, so I guess it's not entirely crazy.

If Fields is there I think it's a no brainer that we trade back 1 spot with the Broncos and get our 2nd round pick back

Back