• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

I don't see a whole lot of reason to risk trading down from 8 unless Fields is available and someone gives us a haul for him. Otherwise, there is almost certainly going to be someone we could use available. In the weirdest scenario, we could always draft Fields and make something happen later.

This board seems to have it Pitts > Sewel > Fields/trade back >> Slater >>>> Surtain.

Yeah. Could just pick Fields and see who lands where and make a deal. Could trade him after the first round for a next year’s first and a 2nd round pick and change as well. Plenty of options.

Given that I haven't seen a reasonable mock that has Pitts falling to us, I think I'd almost rather Atlanta take him, win some games next year and be in a worse position to take Ryan's replacement in 2022. I guess that all just depends on what you think of Lance and Fields though.

Last edited:
The ESPN talking heads believe that Lance is a natural for Smith's offense and that Ryan doesn't have enough years left to bypass Lance - just have him sit behind Ryan for a year or 2. If that's true, and you're on the clock at 8 with Fields still on the board, there will be significant interest from Min, NE, WTF or Chi to move up. If that ends up being the case, I'd think you can get quite the haul for trading back. I'd be less pissed off at Belichick nabbing Fields if he has to pay a nice ransom to get him. I also heard some speculation that WTF may be more interested at a 2nd round QB and that Mills' stock is rising.

And that is why the WFT sucks.

I'm more than happy to trade back but if and only if we can still fill a position of need with a top choice like Sewell (not likely), Surtain, Slater, Farley, Parsons, Waddle, or maybe Smith. I keep getting the impression that Rhule and co are not interested in pushing this rebuild back any further. So obviously if we can get a first rounder next year we have to take that, but I think he likes exactly where we are. Mainly, don't budge from 8 for a bunch of 2nd or later round picks.

It's worth it if you get a 1st round pick and maybe more. If you trade back to the mid-late teens, you likely lose out on Darrisaw, but 1 of the top 3 CBs should be there. As for the state of the rebuild, how much do you really think Darnold helps get you into playoff contention? I've never been that high on him. As for Mills, I haven't seen him play, but some of the draft folks appear to like him and think that he could have more potential than Mond or Trask.

If this franchise is going to invest in Darnold, they need to invest in a LT for him. We've gone long enough without a franchise LT.

Yeah Mills is mving up, but he's kind of meh in my book. Lawrence, Fields, and Mills should be the first three Georgia-bred quarterbacks off the board though.

If this franchise is going to invest in Darnold, they need to invest in a LT for him. We've gone long enough without a franchise LT.

So say if you do trade back with NE, maybe you still get Darrisaw. If not, you can trade your 2nd round pick to hop up in the 1st to take Cosmi before KC gets him or trade that pick to the Ravens for Brown. The word is the team most likely to trade for Brown is WTF for their 2 3rds or a 2 and a 4. Makes sense because at 19 they're not in a position to draft a LT.

Ph, some player is going to be there at 8 that is completely unexpected. It’s going to happen. Seems to always go that way. And it will make all the mocks and our discussion moot. The question is who will it be. And often a darling of the draft will sort of start to fade right as the draft arrives. I mean it sounds crazy now, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Wilson fit the bill this year. Even with the teams that need QBs, that’s the easiest position to be a bust and teams can get cold feet at the draft.

I don't like Leatherwood as a LT. He's a good run blocker, though, and will probably be better at G.

Ph, it's not a good TE draft after Pitts. I wonder if a couple teams take 2 of those 6'4", 220+ day 3 WRs and try to make TEs out of them.

Colliding worlds, but i keep thinking this is where Sage's future is. He's not explosive enough to play WR but i think his size / post up skills would make him a great TE.

Doesn’t seem that strange. If they enter Day 3 with a bunch of guys they like instead of one guy they really want, they could trade the 8th pick in the 4th round for a later two later 4th rounders. For example, they could trade that #112 to the Steelers for #128 and #140. They could do the same with any of the picks even trade the late 6th for two 7ths. They could have draft next year’s picks for more picks.

Makes sense. They want three guys they think could contribute next year and then a bunch of options. Clearly they don’t plan on needing the draft next year.

Our new GM comes from the Seattle mold who likes to trade back and pick up a bunch of picks. I'm expecting we trade down at some point.

With Fitterer's rep for trading 1st round pics, I think it is much more like that we protected those first three pics to have the option to use to trade back. We didn't negotiate the protection of those picks to use but to trade them. Ideally, there is one 1st round QB left when our pick comes, and we trade back with a desperate team that likes that QB. This means there would be a TE (Freiermuth, Hunter Long) and/or OT we like that would be available deeper in the draft.

I don't see a motivated trading partner for Day 3 picks.

Back