• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Day 3 trades are pretty common if I remember correctly. There are plenty of picks to work with and teams may move up to get their guy. They're not going to happen until the day of though.

GuitarDeac :crickets:

Ok

The Panthers like Darnold but aren't handing him the keys to the kingdom yet. They are still waiting and watching the Watson thing. If all looks clear that he will play a full season next year then the pursuit will be on. They feel that Darnold is much better option obviously than Bridgewater and they feel he is a better option than any of the QBs in the draft except the top 2. And they aren't getting one of those.

The Panthers want Pitts at 8 still. That's their guy. If he isn't still there at 8 they will likely trade back. New England is definitely interested in doing that with the Panthers if the draft lines up right when it comes to pick 8 to do that. The Panthers would likely get the Pats' 1st round pick next year and would maybe swap our 5th round pick this year for their 2nd round pick this year. That's sort of the area where that stands. The Panthers would likely get an offensive lineman with their 1st round pick if they do trade back like those 7 spots. And if they get the extra 2nd round pick they can get 2 more really good players in the 2nd round. Rhule and Fitterer want more players - now. More and more. That's Fitterer's philosophy from Seattle and Rhule's as well. Tepper and Rhule are still pissed at letting Hurney do what he did last year. They are pissed at the Bridgewater contract, and they regret letting Hurney draft Derrick Brown when they wanted to trade back last year and get more bodies. Hurney wa sin love with Brown and insisted. They like Brown but felt like they needed more bodies. They are really down on Hurney , especially Tepper.

It could change between now and what happens before and during the draft. But as of now, Pitts is still their guy at 8. It is either Pitts or trade back. Rhule and Fitterer want more picks unless Pitts is there. If Pitts isnt there they will look at the best offer for their pick at 8. As I said, New England wants a QB so they are the leading candidate as of now in terms of talks with Panthers front office.

I would be happy to answer any questions, but I tried to summarize best I can.

Last edited:
Ok

The Panthers like Darnold but aren't handing him the keys to the kingdom yet. They are still waiting and watching the Watson thing. If all looks clear that he will play a full season next year then the pursuit will be on. They feel that Darnold is much better option obviously than Bridgewater and they feel he is a better option than any of the QBs in the draft except the top 2. And they aren't getting one of those.

The Panthers want Pitts at 8 still. That's their guy. If he isn't still there at 8 they will likely trade back. New England is definitely interested in doing that with the Panthers if the draft lines up right when it comes to pick 8 to do that. The Panthers would likely get the Pats' 1st round pick next year and would maybe swap our 5th round pick this year for their 2nd round pick this year. That's sort of the area where that stands. The Panthers would likely get an offensive lineman with their 1st round pick if they do trade back like those 6 spots. And if they get the extra 2nd round pick they can get 2 more really good players in the 2nd round. Rhule and Fitterer want more players - now. More and more. That's Fitterer's philosophy from Seattle and Rhule's as well. Tepper and Rhule are still pissed at letting Hurney do what he did last year. They are pissed at the Bridgewater contract, and they regret letting Hurney draft Derrick Brown when they wanted to trade back last year and get more bodies. Hurney wa sin love with Brown and insisted. They like Brown but felt like they needed more bodies. They are really down on Hurney , especially Tepper.

It could change between now and what happens before and during the draft. But as of now, Pitts is still their guy at 8. It is either Pitts or trade back. Rhule and Fitterer want more picks unless Pitts is there. If Pitts isnt there they will look at the best offer for their pick at 8. As I said, New England wants a QB so they are the leading candidate as of now in terms of talks with Panthers front office.

I would be happy to answer any questions, but I tried to summarize best I can.

Would really not want to trade back if Sewell is there. But getting, 1,1,2 for 1,5 to only move back 7 spots would be pretty great, and I'd be here for it.

I think the Panthers believe getting Darrisaw or whomever along with another player - potentially another OL in round 2 - is better than getting just Sewell. But the Panthers are 100% sure Pitts is a dominant NFL player and makes a big difference day 1 in the offense.

One more thing. Rhule and Fitterer seem to be a real team with not only big smarts but similar smarts. They think alike and agree on everything in terms of the way to build a team. Peas in a pod. I think that will be huge for the Panthers.

Would really not want to trade back if Sewell is there. But getting, 1,1,2 for 1,5 to only move back 7 spots would be pretty great, and I'd be here for it.

Getting next year’s first and this year’s 2nd to move down 7 spots seems unrealistic.

I don’t understand being so mad about what may have been Hurney’s best draft that set up the future of the D. I also don’t get the more players perspective. Plenty of picks don’t even make the roster and are out of the league within a few years. They can get quantity through UDFAs.

Getting next year’s first and this year’s 2nd to move down 7 spots seems unrealistic.

I don’t understand being so mad about what may have been Hurney’s best draft that set up the future of the D. I also don’t get the more players perspective. Plenty of picks don’t even make the roster and are out of the league within a few years. They can get quantity through UDFAs.

The quantity of picks thing is definitely part-ego for some GMs, perhaps including Fitterer based on his days in Seattle. The "I'm a better talent evaluator than you" mindset becomes hugely important rounds 3-7.

I dont know maybe it is unrealistic and the Patriots or someone else doesnt end up doing it. But if you are dying for a QB? And the sweatshirt doesnt seem to always do what seems logical. But I can tell you that's what has been discussed. But again, the draft would have to line up right and the guy the Pats want would have to be there at 8. I dunno but to me, that deal sounds about right given that scenario. Swap first round picks and swap Panthers' 5th round for Pats 2nd round along with next year's first. That's NOTHING for the Pats if they get their franchise QB. Hell, half of Belechik's starters over the years seem to have come in the 5th round.

As I said, they are down on the Bridgewater deal mostly. That's where the idiocy lies according to Tepper. And they like Brown a lot and the draft as a whole but felt like trading back last year would have been the better move. And I dont think the Panthers necessarily mean they want more players from the back of the draft. They want more players at the front. You can do that picking in the top 10.

Didn’t Rhule and Brady want Bridgewater?

They fucked up the QB situation. The reason the Pats would need to trade up is because Cam did more with less talent than Teddy did. Could have just kept Cam and drafted the QB of the future this year.

Didn’t Rhule and Brady want Bridgewater?

They fucked up the QB situation. The reason the Pats would need to trade up is because Cam did more with less talent than Teddy did. Could have just kept Cam and drafted the QB of the future this year.

And actually treated a long-term Panther and fan favorite well, unlike a couple others who were uncerimoniously jettisoned.

The interesting thing about Sewell is that he is seen as a bit of a project. So even if we took him at 8, we could very well still have a top 15 pick in the first round next year. Of course, with all those games we lost by just 1 possession, any little upgrade to go with Darnold could make a significant W/L difference.

I don't think I've seen a single mock that has Pitts falling to us. Seems like we would need both New England and Denver to jump us and take QB's (so 5 in the first 7 picks) and then get a little lucky with Chase and Sewell being the other 2.

Last edited:
What are the chances that Pitts is there at 8? If they are so sure that he is a difference maker day 1 would they move up to get him?

I agree that I don’t understand them washing their hands of bridgewaters contract as though they had no ability to give input whatsoever.

And it’s easy to say you would’ve preferred to trade back and get more picks, but it’s impossible to know whether that would’ve been a good move because you don’t know what picks you would’ve ended up with. It’s one of those empty arguments unless Brown had been a total bust, which he’s not.

I’m glad coach and GM are on the same page but this is definitely a year to see some fruit of that.

A few thoughts. I get the hate for the Bridgewater contract in terms of cost and length, though agree with Ph and Buttermaker that Rhule and Brady had to sign off on bringing Bridgewater in. And I'm not a Hurney fan or hater, but objectively, last year's draft was pretty decent. Chinn and Brown were immediate impact players, and Pride and Gross-Matos saw a fair amount of action. And Burns from the prior year is becoming a stud. I get liking to trade back - Ozzie Newsome and now DeCosta have a penchant for that as well. But the Hurney criticism from Teppur and Rhule falls flat, and it sound like they doth protest too much.

Everybody loves Pitts. Everybody. But he ain't slipping past 6. If Atlanta stays at 4, they likely take Pitts. Cincy would have to think about addressing LT at the top of the 2nd if Pitts is still on the board. And Miami is definitely taking Pitts if he's there. And if they don't, Detroit will. Pitts is likely the only non-QB in the top 10 that another team would trade up for.

As for the QB position, I'd rather have any 1 of the rookie QBs over Darnold. First, you get them for 4+ years on a rookie contract. And to me, Darnold and Goff are the same QB. They can get coached up to have good games occasionally, but whenever they go up against a good D with a great coordinator, they struggle. Witness Darnold seeing ghosts against NE, and NE completely shutting Goff out in the SB. The word from that SB is Belichick showed a lot of man looks but mostly retreated into different zones. Which is what happened to Fields in the NW game. I think it was McShay pointing this out the other day. The knock on Fields is he has played in a system where he rarely has to look to a 2nd or 3rd option, and NW confused him with man looks that were zones. So Fields baseline is basically he's a much more athletic version of Darnold, but his ceiling could be a top 10 QB. Likewise, I'm really intrigued with Lance, despite his limited resume at a smaller program. And I think Jones compares favorably to Darnold. They're similar from an athleticism standpoint - maybe Darnold is slightly quicker with a slightly stronger arm, but you ain't running the read option with either of them. But Jones is smarter and processes info better, which is why Shanahan loves him. I'd be surprised if Jones doesn't have the superior career to Darnold.

I dont know maybe it is unrealistic and the Patriots or someone else doesnt end up doing it. But if you are dying for a QB? And the sweatshirt doesnt seem to always do what seems logical. But I can tell you that's what has been discussed. But again, the draft would have to line up right and the guy the Pats want would have to be there at 8. I dunno but to me, that deal sounds about right given that scenario. Swap first round picks and swap Panthers' 5th round for Pats 2nd round along with next year's first. That's NOTHING for the Pats if they get their franchise QB. Hell, half of Belechik's starters over the years seem to have come in the 5th round.

As I said, they are down on the Bridgewater deal mostly. That's where the idiocy lies according to Tepper. And they like Brown a lot and the draft as a whole but felt like trading back last year would have been the better move. And I dont think the Panthers necessarily mean they want more players from the back of the draft. They want more players at the front. You can do that picking in the top 10.

Any idea who the Patriots would be targeting at 8?

Back