• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

I don't think this is a case of "1 and 1A or 1B" here. This is the direction of the franchise for a decade.

So if you don't get Watson or Wilson, who do you want? It's 1 of the 3 rookies or trading for/signing guys like Darnold, Cousins, Garrapolo, Taylor, Fitzmagic or Mariota.

So if you don't get Watson or Wilson, who do you want? It's 1 of the 3 rookies or trading for/signing guys like Darnold, Cousins, Garrapolo, Taylor, Fitzmagic or Mariota.

I'm not really talking about whom I'd prefer, but more about Tepper and Rhule dediding which of the guys they'd prefer to draft and not coming in second in any contest to do so. I don't think they would all agree that Fields (or someone else) is THE GUIY and then just shrug their shoulders and dreft Jones if he's already off the board.

I'm not sold on anybody other than Watson, Lawrence and Wilson. The idea of doing a sign and trade for Cousins and sending Bridgewater to Minnesota is amusing though.

Alright, I'm definitely in for my first ever boards bet. Bottle of bourbon of choice under $100 that Fields is a better player/has a better career trajectory than Wilson on this date in 2023. Wilson is a poor man's Manziel. Fields is a Watson clone.

Alright, I'm definitely in for my first ever boards bet. Bottle of bourbon of choice under $100 that Fields is a better player/has a better career trajectory than Wilson on this date in 2023. Wilson is a poor man's Manziel. Fields is a Watson clone.

In, but for a bottle of red wine. You'll have to remember this bet because I certainly won't

Put your bourbon money where your mouth is.

No way. I'm not rooting for the Jets to do well so I can win a bet with an Ohio State fan. There's also a decent chance Fields winds up with the Panthers so I don't want to put myself in a position to root against my fellow transplanted Georgian.

In, but for a bottle of red wine. You'll have to remember this bet because I certainly won't

Same here and also prefer red wine. Fields had a better and more consistent 2019 than 2020. He was terrific against Clemson, but I was less than impressed with his games against Bama, NW and Indiana. In the NW game, the coach wouldn't even let him throw the ball in the 4th quarter. The criticism that you hear most about Fields is he locks onto his receiver and doesn't go through progressions well. That could be a problem at the next level, but it's certainly something he could overcome. I can see Fields having a higher ceiling but also a much lower floor than Wilson. I'd say the same with Lance because those 2 have superior athleticism to Wilson. Wilson is the safest of the 3.

The other issue is where do Wilson, Fields and Lance end up and who are they coached by. Wilson will either be a Jet or Texan, and I'll feel sorry for him if he's a Texan because they're going to be a dumpster fire for the next few years. And with Lance and Fields, I'd feel a lot better about their chances of success with say Carolina or San Fran (coached by Rhule and Brady or Shanahan) than say Atlanta, Philly or Detroit.

Peter King says offers have been made to the Texans but they haven't responded in any way. that they are staying put with their position of not trading him. here is what he proposes the Panthers offer:

I’d be surprised if the Panthers hadn’t made an offer by now, quite frankly. This is a fit in many ways. Very aggressive new owner (David Tepper), who would move mountains for a franchise QB. It’s not in the AFC, meaning Houston wouldn’t have to see Watson in the playoffs till the Super Bowl. (That would be a Belichick factor.) Because the Panthers are not flush with draft capital, I think they’d have to include a quarterback with some value and at least two very good veteran players. By the way: Cal McNair, I’m sure, would also love the fact that, if the NFL’s scheduling formula stays the same, Watson as a Panther would not play in Houston till the 2027 regular season. Cross-conference matchups happen every four years, meaning Carolina, which played at Houston in 2019, would host the Texans in 2023 and play at Houston in 2027. But that’s pretty low in the pecking order of factors in this trade. Very low.

Peter King Proposal: A 7-for-1 deal. Running back Christian McCaffrey, quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, receiver Robbie Anderson and first-round and second-round picks in 2021 (eighth and 39th overall), a first-round pick in 2022 and third-round pick in 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston might push for the inclusion of 22-year-old pass-rusher Brian Burns as a vital part of any deal, which would be a tough giveaway for coach Matt Rhule. Of course, McCaffrey would be tough too.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ade-texans-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

Right now, if the 17th game happens in 2021, the Panthers opponent would be Houston, fyi (the NFL hasn't announced whether the AFC or the NFC teams would be hosting those 17th games yet, since I guess technically they are not 100% guaranteed to happen in 2021 as of today). I'm sure the Texans don't want to trade him to the Panthers and then have him show up for a game in Houston less than 12 months later!

I'd take Lance at 8 if he's there*

But I'm not trading up for any of them

Ideally the 17th game would be a neutral site game held in international locations and college stadiums in states without an NFL team.

Short update from ESPN saying the Panthers are basically all in for Watson or will just stick with Teddy and focus the draft on OL and TE.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...mino-next-fall-latest-bears-texans-49ers-more

Wow. That says something about Fields, Lance and Jones, which also confirms a few recent reports that Fields stock is slipping. The other thing they could do is trade up to 2 to get Wilson. But I don't think the Jets want to do that. They appear set on Watson or Wilson and getting what they can for Darnold, which makes sense.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - New Season. New Thread. New QB?

Same, SD3. The only hitch is the 2022 free agent class is garbage. Not sure where we will get a franchise QB if not with the #8 pick or by trade.

If the Panthers are underwhelmed by this class, they aren’t trading up to get Wilson or Fields. They may not take either if an LT they like drops to #8 either.

Shaq & Teddy for Deshaun straight up who says no?

Not us

A rebuilding team doesn't need CMC. If we're not going to give up our young defenders, which I'm ok with, then I just don't see us being able to give them more than the Broncos. I think Lock has created enough intrigue to where the Texans would be willing to gamble that he may be able to reduce their time to becoming competitive again. Bridgewater locks them into mediocrity at the position.

Last edited:
Back