• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Carolina Panthers Thread - Time for the 2022 thread

Big splash for the Panthers to start free agency, and by that I mean a subpar guard.

Followed by a shitty OT.

[h=1]Grading OL Cam Erving's deal with the Panthers: D[/h]
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2021/03/15/cam-erving-carolina-panthers-2021-nfl-free-agency/
Well, the Panthers are making moves along their offensive line. We’re just not quite sure what they are. Our Mark Schofield gave the deal with guard Pat Elflein a C+, which might be generous. And now, the Panthers have added to that line with former Browns first-round pick Cam Erving, who has played multiple positions for three teams (Browns, Chiefs, Cowboys) in the NFL, and not particularly well. Per ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, it’s a two-year, $10 million deal with $8 million guaranteed.

Traded to the Chiefs in August, 2017 for a 2018 fifth-round pick, Erving saw his fifth-year option declined by Kansas City, and signed a one-year deal with Dallas. Through his career, per Pro Football Focus, Erving has allowed 16 sacks, 27 quarterback hits, and 95 quarterback hurries, and he’s been penalized 39 times. Perhaps the Panthers see Erving as a value free agent because he’s played all over the line, but neither the tape nor the metrics point to this as anything but a throwaway deal.

If you have an injury prone QB whose productivity plummets coming off injury, bringing in a professional speed bump won't help.

Why do we keep treating our legends this way ?

Manhertz to the Jags for 2-years, $7.25M, $4.25M guaranteed.

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry are both going to the Pats. Both have been rumored to the Panthers.

wtf Patriots

Not hard to figure. They needed a talent influx because they've been poor in the draft for the last 5-6 years, and they are a top 5 team in terms of cap space this offseason. That roster is old.

Pats have a ton of cap space, and Belichick has new found motivation after last seasons disaster, and Brady winning another Lombardi. FWIW, the Bucs play at New England next season. That should be interesting.

Manhertz to the Jags for 2-years, $7.25M, $4.25M guaranteed.

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry are both going to the Pats. Both have been rumored to the Panthers.

When you can't draft a WR1, just sign two TE's for run/pass threat.

Tyrod Taylor to the Texans. Interesting.

Yeah, he's a good groomer for a young QB. I'm thinking this means Watson is likely to get dealt, and y'all could be the recipients. If I'm Joe Douglass, I don't think I'm giving up 3 1s when I can draft Wilson and have him on a rookie deal for 5 years and spend my $$ elsewhere this offseason. And Miami just brought in Brissett to push and mentor Tua. They don't bring in Brissett if they're about to trade for Watson. So it's between y'all, SF and Chicago the way I see it, and you have better draft capital than the other 2 this year (unless Houston likes Garropolo). Add to that, Atlanta just restructured Ryan, making it more likely they don't draft a QB. And Chicago just settled on the Red Rifle. So my tea leaves are saying Watson to Carolina. Either that, or by signing Tyrod, Houston is making the stupid decision of digging in its heels on Watson and wanting to have a capable QB if Watson doesn't show up for camp. And as we've seen over the last 2 seasons, Houston is more than capable of doing some of the most stupid things in league history. Even Matt Millen wouldn't mess this up, but Houston could.

I think I’m on the Trey Lance at 8 train vs. 3 firsts and Burns for Watson

Shoot me

Shoot me

Dude c'mon, plus Trey might not be there at 8 anyways. my least favorite is that we blow a bunch of capital just to fucking trade up for Lance or Fields.

Okay, I just did some research. Carolina has not been that active in FA. You've kept Moton and signed Elflein on the cheap - that's it. And Over the Cap says you have $28mil in cap space. Teams with that much cap space are spending more $$ than that. I think it's officially time for someone to post that Ron Paul It's Happening meme.

Shoot me

How about just 3 1sts? I was down on Carolina's chances to get Watson at 1st. But with Mia, Chi, WFT and NE all headed in other directions at QB, I think it's between y'all and maybe SF. And you haven't been spending your cap $$ on FAs. I do think you're getting Watson.

How about just 3 1sts? I was down on Carolina's chances to get Watson at 1st. But with Mia, Chi, WFT and NE all headed in other directions at QB, I think it's between y'all and maybe SF. And you haven't been spending your cap $$ on FAs. I do think you're getting Watson.

i would honestly move CMC before Burns or Chinn or any of the young talent. the odometer is ticking....

I refuse to unfollow Olivia Culpo on Instagram.

I would trade 3 1sts for Watson, yes.

FOH if you want Brain Burns or Chinn.

Official 2021 Carolina Panthers - Panthers to nab Lance?

I hadn't really looked at the Watson rumors in a few weeks.

Watson is "intrigued" by the Panthers.
https://247sports.com/Article/Desha...eye-Houston-Texans-situation-trade-162389249/

"The Carolina Panthers, they are inclined to big-game hunt for Deshaun Watson if he's available," Fowler said. "Nothing yet, but I'm told Watson would at least be intrigued by the option of Carolina. A good, nice, young team, aggressive owner, close to his hometown of Gainesville, Georgia. They'll certainly look at that. But they have Teddy Bridgewater as their fallback.
"I'm told they still like Bridgewater than say most free agents available. So they'll look hard at the draft, No. 8 overall potentially drafting a guy. They'll monitor the Watson situation and see if he's available and they'll hold onto Bridgewater at least for the short term and just see what their options are."

"Carolina is beyond smitten with Watson and owner David Tepper is fairly consumed by the prospect of landing him and no matter what happens with this transcendent young quarterback (and I still believe he is dealt at some point), the Panthers are going to play some role in the process," La Canfora said. "They might not be able to secure him, ultimately, and others clearly possess higher draft capital, but when it comes to Watson, Tepper's aim is true and their desire is real."

Of course, I just got an Athletic article saying the Patriots big signing day was to set up a move for Watson.

And then an article from Person saying Watson to the Panthers got more "intriguing." Such a tease. A team exec said the Panthers are "locked" on Watson.

Deshaun Watson to Panthers gets more intriguing: The dominoes started to fall Tuesday https://theathletic.com/2456192/202...d-to-fall-tuesday/?source=user_shared_article

Last edited:
Back