• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: WF at FSU : Noon Saturday -- RSN

Mucius reminds me more of Rountree than Levy

i guess i disagree. rountree was clearly not an acc caliber player. i guess the levy comparison is more about being competent in many areas that don’t always obviously show up.

Any guesses why Wake didn't pick up full court with less than 6 seconds in regulation? Slowing FSU just a little was all that had to happen. Make them take 6 seconds to get a shot off, not 4.

I would have liked to see us put Antonio on whoever gets the ball to force him to catch it closer to the baseline and slow him down a bit. Have the 3 guys at the three pt. line to pick up whoever enters their zone & have one rim protector (Odi). You know FSU is probably going to have to play 4 on 5 unless their in-bounder trails for open 3. This would have forced at least one pass (hopefully) and a rushed long shot.... But, I'm just a MS coach. : )

I would have liked to see us put Antonio on whoever gets the ball to force him to catch it closer to the baseline and slow him down a bit. Have the 3 guys at the three pt. line to pick up whoever enters their zone & have one rim protector (Odi). You know FSU is probably going to have to play 4 on 5 unless their in-bounder trails for open 3. This would have forced at least one pass (hopefully) and a rushed long shot.... But, I'm just a MS coach. : )

I didn't have a particular plan in mind. Just doing some simple math. FSU inbounded with 5.6 seconds on the clock. The tying layup was released with about 1.8 sec left. So FSU used 3.8 seconds to get from one end of the court to the other.

Therefore, Wake needed to add about 2 seconds to the FSU ball movement prior to the shot. I would think that picking up full court man with four guys and leaving Ody back to rim protect might have caused FSU to use those extra seconds. Especially if FSU wasn't expecting pressure. I know they could beat it, but would it have taken 2+ seconds for them to realize what they needed to do, and then to do so? IDK, but I'd prefer to try that.

And I would rather have FSU trying a deep shot/desperation heave from just over half court for the win than giving them the easy layup for the tie. Wake was out of gas for the overtime, and quickly out of big guys.

No, I agree w/you. We made it too easy catching on the fly and running downhill to the rim. Obviously, what we did - did not work.... We will get better!

Just to be clear, the facts are our top 4 scorers were not at Wake last year. If you add Whitt 6 and Ody 6, then 5 of the top 6 scorer's were not on the team last year. Of course the top 4 have more experience than the returning group as well.

Mucius should be in that rotation of scorer's, he's with DuBose and Williamson in being the only guys on the team that can really get their own shot.

Just watched a replay of the game. With 5+ seconds on the clock, Dubose on the line shooting his second free throw and a one point lead the Deacs should have been in defensive position at the other end of the court. They weren't in position so Barnes had an open lane to the hoop. Mind numbing mistake that earned the loss.

There also could have been at least two players on the blocks to get or contest an offensive rebound or press whoever got the board.

Listen to the postgame with Forbes and a lot of things get cleared up.

Antonio played great, but he can’t create his own shot. When FSU locked him up, it opened up the offense to others and we made layups. Offense was great today. Whitt did a great job handling the ball and getting us into an offense and Dubose attacks the basket like nobody else on the roster.

Sucks that Dubose missed a couple of important FTs.

Also sucks that we let them get a layup at the end of regulation... No excuse for that.

This loss stung. Was hard to watch the end of regulation knowing we should have been able to finish it off.

But in the hours since then, I’ve decided it doesn’t really matter... It’s all about the journey. This is year one. Mistakes will be cleaned up. Players will improve. New players will be added.

Unfortunate that the best game we’ve played all year ended up as a loss, but FSU is a very good team.

Listen to the postgame with Forbes and a lot of things get cleared up.

Antonio played great, but he can’t create his own shot. When FSU locked him up, it opened up the offense to others and we made layups. Offense was great today. Whitt did a great job handling the ball and getting us into an offense and Dubose attacks the basket like nobody else on the roster.

Sucks that Dubose missed a couple of important FTs.

Also sucks that we let them get a layup at the end of regulation... No excuse for that.

This loss stung. Was hard to watch the end of regulation knowing we should have been able to finish it off.

But in the hours since then, I’ve decided it doesn’t really matter... It’s all about the journey. This is year one. Mistakes will be cleaned up. Players will improve. New players will be added.

Unfortunate that the best game we’ve played all year ended up as a loss, but FSU is a very good team.

Agreed. As I posted before this season began, I was more excited to see player and team development. Didn't care about the wins and losses this year.

I've seen significant progress from our coaching staff. This team would have lost by 30+ last year in a similar situation.

What makes this painful is that the win was there. Play good D for 6 seconds was all they needed to do at the end. It would have been easier to take and write off as a learning experience if FSU had been ahead 2 or 3 scores.

ETA: The reward for the team putting in that much hard work should have been a W.

At the beginning of the season the entire 'this season doesn't matter was relevant' that's no longer the case. Players and teams need to learn how to win, the sooner they do the sooner the program can progress to the next level. I'd rather have this team leave this year knowing they are good enough to compete. In order to do that you have to win games like today (yes today was not the end of the world but it would have been a step forward).

We would have been 7-8 for the season 4-8 in the ACC. A chance for an above 500 record would be a gret accomplishment for this team. The 9th place team in the ACC has 5 wins, we would have been one win behind them. Getting towards the middle of the ACC would also be a great confidence builder.

Yes we are not the most talented team in the conference, but we get more out of what we have than any other team in the conference. I doubt Forbes goes to sleep every night thinking 'well it's ok that we lost, I'm on my honeymoon'.

It's time to forget the crap show of the last 10 years and have some hope and expectations for what we can do. This team has shown they are more than we thought they were, we need to adjust to that.

If Dubose hits 2 FT instead of 1 for 2 and we win.

Progress.

Either time at the line. But he had to be gassed. Hitting the front end of the one and ones was good. Hitting one of the second FTs would have been better, obviously.

Either time at the line. But he had to be gassed. Hitting the front end of the one and ones was good. Hitting one of the second FTs would have been better, obviously.

BTW, it wasn't one and one. They had committed 10+ team fouls by then.

Of course if Massoud or Neath done the same thing, no one would have made any excuse for them. This board would have called the worst choke in Wake bball history.

NO, I'm not saying that about Dubose.

Thanks to ESPN showing that play overs and over. I’d say Forbes also had a bad plan. No one on the line maybe no one in the backcourt. We just have them go downhill. Forbes point that Ody can guard anybody may be true but that’s hard to do when the guy is moving at full speed when he gets to him.

I'm not a big fan of calling any of our players or situations as "choke" plays. As I tell my players, not all mistakes are equal. The game is 40 minutes and if the guys are giving their best then that's what we want. Unfortunately, in big moments the mistakes are more pronounced and more visible. We aren't in this game without Dubose, Antonio, and others. We should have had a better game plan for the last 5 seconds.

May get slammed, but IMHO with Ian back, we could be pretty good team if we had a reliable, consistent player at the 4.

Won’t get slammed by me, and I agree. It’s without question the weakest part of our team and coming into the season, most thought it would be a strength.

Back