• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ice or Freezing Rain Event 2/18-2/19 Drew, where art thou??

Ghostsurfer

Reaction score
I lurk on a weather forum and they are quite convinced that the mountains, Triad, and possibly even the Triangle areas may be in for a major "ice" event Thursday. Models are all over the place but most suggest significant damage to trees, powerlines, etc. I'm a little surprised the local mets they aren't raising more alarms, but maybe they know something these other nerds don't. With all of these rains, trees may be down all over the place. I'm hoping for sleet!

Get propane, alcohol, etc!

Nope we are doomed to a winter of 35 and rainy. That's all it will ever be. The most depressing winter possible.

I'm with you! This winter has sucked. When will we ever get a major snow event that cancels school for a week! Sadly, COVID canceled all future snow days....

Drew is on Facebook playing Kareem's character in The Stand.

pretty sure the ice is happening in the triad and foothills. Charlotte is even on the outer edge of it in the latest models.

Drew says the cutoff line is I-40, so I'm hoping it's just rain for us. We lost power for 2 short periods on Saturday. Others were out for 7hr+.

Drew says the cutoff line is I-40, so I'm hoping it's just rain for us. We lost power for 2 short periods on Saturday. Others were out for 7hr+.

We lost power all day Saturday, from 8AM until 4PM - we're always the last to get back online. I'm really hoping we're spared this go around.

The most depressing winter possible.

C'mon, man. We've had an entire month of polar vortex temps and over 36 inches of snow (normally, it's one or the other and doesn't last a month), in the Chicago area. You don't know from depressing weather.

C'mon, man. We've had an entire month of polar vortex temps and over 36 inches of snow (normally, it's one or the other and doesn't last a month), in the Chicago area. You don't know from depressing weather.

One of my friends in Boston posted a memory the other day from the record winter 5 or 6 years ago when I was living there and we got 7 feet of snow in 23 days. So yeah a few weekends of freezing rain is a blessing in comparison. Hell winter is pretty much over here we are looking at 55-60 degree weather starting next week.

Ice storms suck. The last time we had one of this magnitude, we lost power for five days. I'm really hoping the predictions are off.

Ice storms suck. The last time we had one of this magnitude, we lost power for five days. I'm really hoping the predictions are off.

The worst I can remember was when I still lived in Boone around ten years ago on Christmas. I drove back from Winston immediately after and could hear the trees snapping the entire way up. My apartment still had power (thank goodness) but outside of 421 the area was glazed.

Duke Power has called in the troops and is staging them out of the Greensboro mall parking lot.
602d93b59d7a6.image.jpg

The 'boro was kind of predicted as the epicenter of this thing, and it still might be, but right now we're getting a nice break in the action. Hope it continues. Got my generator gassed up and refreshed the liquor cabinet, so I'm ready either way.

we only got rain in Asheville, it never dipped much below 32 all night. it might have frozen some overnight but was just wet when we woke up. sun is out now, but I think more rain is coming.

I was supposed to be in Asheville today. I guess I should've made the trek.

Storm is really trending east right now. Too early to be really comfortable but looking like Triad may be spared from worst case ice.

Back