• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what people in Forsyth County pay in taxes you should go to their homes and teach in person.

You should fact check their power outage claim...You probably have the address of your students, right? You can check the power grid. Would be funny to catch them in a lie.

I'd say that any of my HS kids who woke up before 7:45am to message me about their fake power outage deserve the day off. Hell I was tempted to text my principal and pull the same move.

I pay a lady down the road 20 dollars a day to watch the 2 year old while we work. She has now basically become a member of our family.

We are paying $15/hr and are both here the entire time.

She’s a student and apparently found out last minute that her midterm had to be taken at a set time because the professor was worried there would be cheating.

For what people in Forsyth County pay in taxes you should go to their homes and teach in person.

You must mean that county in GA, because the taxes that people pay in NC are third world. We live in a Heritage Foundation dystopian slum state.

We are paying $15/hr and are both here the entire time.

She’s a student and apparently found out last minute that her midterm had to be taken at a set time because the professor was worried there would be cheating.

Yeah, I’ve seen what my friends in Charlotte and ATL pay for daycare and I’m definitely not moving out of the sticks before my kids are in school.

I'd say that any of my HS kids who woke up before 7:45am to message me about their fake power outage deserve the day off. Hell I was tempted to text my principal and pull the same move.

Fair enough. You should make sure they have beer for their day off.

seems to be some folks saying that paying sub-living wage is too expensive and also complaining about the quality of their childcare

Tell me, Juice, how much should I be paying a college student that lives at home to pretend to cook with my son in his playroom?

Because I’m paying the minimum championed by your people.

The issue is that this is for one child. When you get up to two kids you have to seriously question whether it makes financial sense for both parents to keep working.

today's crossword was challenging but fair. coffee for breakfast (so far).

I hate those puzzles with 11 letter answers. Thought I was going to need to use a hint to get the SW corner, but I left and came back and ended up getting it. 7 day gold streak!

seems to be some folks saying that paying sub-living wage is too expensive and also complaining about the quality of their childcare

Yeah its like maybe paying the human beings that take care of your small children enough that they don't have to live in substandard living conditions, might also be a good thing for your child too. Your child spends more time with this overstressed and unhealthy human being than with you. Same thing applies to teachers and senior care workers.

At the end of the day Americans care more about their vacation homes and social status than the environments in which their children and elderly parents spend most of their time in. We are trash people.

I'm not attacking any individuals, because we all have to make it work in this current world. I'm attacking our society's faux exceptionalism and ignorance. We don't give a shit about our kids. Or the elderly. Or the poor. Or anyone besides ourselves.

Last edited:
When we had our first kid, we decided to have my wife quit her job and just stay home.

6+ years later we have 3 kids and she's still here.

Looking forward to that tasty dual income in a couple of years when the youngest starts going to school.

We aren't poor, but we've certainly had to live differently with less income. And when I lost my job a couple of years ago, my stress level was pretty severe.

Tell me, Juice, how much should I be paying a college student that lives at home to pretend to cook with my son in his playroom?

Because I’m paying the minimum championed by your people.

The issue is that this is for one child. When you get up to two kids you have to seriously question whether it makes financial sense for both parents to keep working.

yeah, I agree with you that childcare costs are outrageous

but I think your frustration is misplaced -- we live in a shit system that doesn't give moms or dads sufficient paid time off after the birth of their kid, that pushes childcare into the private sphere and forces some parents to give up their careers or pay out the ass for childcare

and that's for a household that (presumably) is in like the top 10% of family income -- just imagine how it is for someone in the bottom 25%

we seem to blame individual actors in the system -- the student, the parent, etc. -- instead of saying "hey, look at all the ways other places do this, why can't we do it better?"

Full disclosure. The lady I pay 20 dollars a day to watch my kid is retired lives in a nicer house than I do.

Brasky, Congresslady Foxx says get back to work.

Eui2EUdXIAMWGgM

When we had our first kid, we decided to have my wife quit her job and just stay home.

6+ years later we have 3 kids and she's still here.

Looking forward to that tasty dual income in a couple of years when the youngest starts going to school.

We aren't poor, but we've certainly had to live differently with less income. And when I lost my job a couple of years ago, my stress level was pretty severe.

What did your wife do before kids? Do you think she'll have any issues re-entering the workforce?

Brasky, Congresslady Foxx says get back to work.

Eui2EUdXIAMWGgM

Tell Ginny that I do more in 5 mins of Zoom teaching that's she's done in her entire congressional career. I'm genuinely upset that I no longer live in the 5th district, it would be an honor to run against her and spend every dollar I raised trying to ruin her remaining days on this earth, even if I had zero chance of winning.

I hate those puzzles with 11 letter answers. Thought I was going to need to use a hint to get the SW corner, but I left and came back and ended up getting it. 7 day gold streak!

Yeah my heart immediately sinks when I see those massive long answers right at the beginning but I stuck with it. 28:50. Sometimes it is nice to have the ones like today where there are no tricks, they just bludgeon you with harder than normal clues.

What did your wife do before kids? Do you think she'll have any issues re-entering the workforce?

Two things:

1- She grew up poor. Double-edged sword on that one... It's great that we get pleasure out of family time and doing cheap things like going on hikes, but I also could have married someone from a wealthy family and just coasted through life. Alas, the heart wants what the heart wants.
2- She worked as a manager in a call center setting for a wireless carrier & then a giant moneycenter bank. She enjoys managing people... Legit wants to make people better at their jobs and help them gain skills to advance. I, on the other hand, am in sales and all about dat money grab.

I'm sure she'll be able to get a decent job. She was making enough before that we would have been better off financially paying for child care (vs. her quitting and staying home). But it wasn't so much more that it made it a tough decision. If she was making 6-figures, it'd probably been a different conversation.

Tell Ginny that I do more in 5 mins of Zoom teaching that's she's done in her entire congressional career. I'm genuinely upset that I no longer live in the 5th district, it would be an honor to run against her and spend every dollar I raised trying to ruin her remaining days on this earth, even if I had zero chance of winning.

I just left a voicemail message for her. I'll let you know how she responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back