• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn opentable was like hey 5000 points are about to expire in march

wtf i'm not about to go to waldo's with mako and crew, how am i supposed to use these shits, i'm staying tf inside

yeah and even if you could go out I'd feel like a real asshole using a gift card. does OpenTable reimburse them for when you use one of their gift certs from points?

In the future the way we treat cancer will seems insanely barbaric and ineffective, like leaching blood dumb.

the early days of treating cancer were completely wild, do you think 50 years from now it will be like how we view treating cancer in the 70s now?

damn opentable was like hey 5000 points are about to expire in march

wtf i'm not about to go to waldo's with mako and crew, how am i supposed to use these shits, i'm staying tf inside

Along these lines, if you have airline miles that could expire, I was able to "buy" one mile with Alaska and ten with another airline that extends non-cashing in of miles.

yeah and even if you could go out I'd feel like a real asshole using a gift card. does OpenTable reimburse them for when you use one of their gift certs from points?

no idea

i figured out how to turn it into $20 at home depot

Ace is my preferred hardware store, but i do like home depot

no idea

i figured out how to turn it into $20 at home depot

There's a site called Local Flavor where you buy restaurant/store discounts. I bought one for a restaurant that closed before Covid. They offered to either return my fee or let me use it as credit. Maybe OpenTable will do the same.

Ace has the best help if you have no idea what you need to solve a problem and/or you want to get in quickly because at mine they greet you at the door and take you directly to whatever you need.

Home Depot better for selection/price.

Ace has the best help if you have no idea what you need to solve a problem and/or you want to get in quickly because at mine they greet you at the door and take you directly to whatever you need.

Home Depot better for selection/price.

I'm not even allowed in the parking lot of Home Depot. Lowe's, etc. I'm not allowed around tools.

kinda surprised about the Ace love

the prices are much higher and I don't find the staff more helpful or knowledgable

I do more unique trips to Ace because there is one in my neighborhood, but I go to Home Depot for anything more than a couple items

I don't think I've ever bought more than 4 or 5 things in a single Ace trip. Ace is also much closer than Lowes or Home Depot for quick trips.

The Ace in our neighborhood somehow had massive supplies of TP when no one else did.

Frager's in NE DC is an all time great hardware store, the new build after the fire is pretty sweet too

it's an Ace franchise

yeah, I guess that's the key thing about Ace -- they do seem to vary quite a bit store by store due to their franchising model

had great experience working with one group when I used to work for a non-profit doing a lot of painting, landscaping, etc. stuff

Frager's in NE DC is an all time great hardware store, the new build after the fire is pretty sweet too

it's an Ace franchise

yeah that place ruled. don't know if I ever went in the new place but they had everything you needed and would get you in and out quickly.

the early days of treating cancer were completely wild, do you think 50 years from now it will be like how we view treating cancer in the 70s now?

Maybe, I feel like we are finally actually trying new things that are actually “new” and more specifically targeted. It seems a bit like we say we have all these amazing treatments when the bread and butter is still most likely systemic chemotherapy and radiation very much like 50 years ago, just with a 2020 tweak. It’s also crazy in the field of research who you are and what you say can have such a tremendous impact. Like immunotherapy, the most promising area for advancement, was squashed because some asshole in the early 1900s was heavily invested in radiation therapy. Sure it was super crude and they had no idea how it was working but imagine if that target therapy was perused for the last 100 years instead of this horrible whole body overkill option.

when we lived in capitol hill we had weird walls that went drywall, then like 2.5 inches of air, then brick

and we wanted to build shelves bc the house didn't have closets (cool history for old dc houses where people just lived here out of trunks)

so we needed to be able to anchor weight in awkward setting, talked it through and sat down and drew it out on paper with a guy at ace, who rented us a hammer drill and offered to talk us through any issues on the phone

worked out great

we did something similar with a 75+ lb mirror we recently had to hang

Maybe, I feel like we are finally actually trying new things that are actually “new” and more specifically targeted. It seems a bit like we say we have all these amazing treatments when the bread and butter is still most likely systemic chemotherapy and radiation very much like 50 years ago, just with a 2020 tweak. It’s also crazy in the field of research who you are and what you say can have such a tremendous impact. Like immunotherapy, the most promising area for advancement, was squashed because some asshole in the early 1900s was heavily invested in radiation therapy. Sure it was super crude and they had no idea how it was working but imagine if that target therapy was perused for the last 100 years instead of this horrible whole body overkill option.

drug development still seems to be similarly frustrating

we have promising treatment areas to pursue for rare cancers but they don't get development $$$ at pharma because they won't make $ back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back