• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: NC State @ WF - 2 pm Saturday RSN

Pilchard

Reaction score
Deacs return to the Joel this Saturday afternoon to face the 9-9 (5-8) #78 Wolfpack.

Here is a link to the previous KP report on State: https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32816-KP-Report-Deacs-the-NC-State-Wolfpack-Wednesday-8-pm-ACCN

And an update since WF last faced (and lost) to the Wuffies on January 27.

The season: During the win 72-67 (in a game that really wasn't that close) over WF, State has lost their leading scorer, Devon Daniels, for the season. As a result, the Pack have struggled, going 2-4 since the WF game. The Pack's two wins came against a depleted BC team (even more depleted than the team WF faced) and a last second win over Pitt yesterday (Pitt missed two game winning shots just before the buzzer). Three of their four Pack losses were competitive: twice to #57 Cuse, once to #10 UVA; like WF last night, Duke dominated State last Saturday. In addition to losing Daniels, Pack G Thomas Allen (Nebraska transfer -- 15 starts 7 ppg) missed the Pitt game with an injury, and Braxton Beverly has played, but has also been hampered with injuries. So, State is thin right now.

The lineup: Against Pitt, State used just 7 players. The starters (State went big to start):

6-3. Fr. Cam Hayes -- highest rated 2020 Pack recruit; season high 9 assists against Pitt; 8 TOs in the last two games; struggling from 3 recently (4 for 17 since the WF game)
6-7 Fr. DeReon Seaborn -- Redshirt frosh; played a season-high 30 minutes against Pitt; scored 8 points; not a three point threat so far (3 for 12 on the season), 51% from 2; not a scorer or a creator (only 3 assists since November)
6-7 Jr. Jericole Hellems --scored 17 in the January win over WF; raised his game since Daniels has been out, averaging 16 ppg; 40% from 3
6-10 Sr. DJ Funderburk -- his "old-school three point play" gave the Pack the lead against Pitt; averaging 14 ppg over the last 4; weirdly not shot-blocker despite his size (4 blocks in 11 ACC games);
6-10 So. Manny Bates -- protects the rim (13th in the country in blocks per minutes played); no threat from 3; 8 points and 7 rebounds in each of the last 3 games

The two off the bench:

6-0 Sr. Braxton Beverly -- limited by injuries only averaged 17 minutes over the last two Pack games; scored 12 against Pitt; in the 4 games before that averaging just 4 ppg
6-1 Fr. Shakeel Moore -- erratic scorer; scored 19 in the win over BC; scored 2 points in 23 minutes against Pitt (did have 6 assists and 5 boards); 34% from 3; 47% from the line

As stated above, starting guard Thomas Allen missed the Pitt game with a leg injury; if he doesn't play, Pack will have a short bench again.

Analytics: State is a poor defensive team (#13 in the ACC) and below average offensive team (#10). Recently, turnovers have been a problem as the Pack have fallen to last place in the ACC in offensive TO%. In the recent home losses to Cuse and Duke, State turned the ball over 20 and 19 times respectively. Even against weakened BC, State turned the ball over 15 times. Defensively, the Pack struggles to defend inside as they are 2nd to last in the ACC in keeping the opponent off the offensive boards and in 2 PT defense. Pitt shot 60% from 2 against the Pack. State does pressure the ball as they are 3rd in the ACC in defensive TO%; that said, with their limited roster, the Pack may need to dial back the defense a little as they don't have the depth to deal with foul trouble.

Bottom line: KP projects a tight game: 71-70 Pack in 67 possessions. This analysis applies a lot to WF games, but the key to the game will be handling State's ball pressure. Teams that avoid TO's against the Pack get easy baskets. WF gave up 20 TOs in the loss in Raleigh; so, the task is easier said than done. Like this spot for WF. Deacs are coming off a tough loss to Duke, and will be motivated. State is banged up. WF's TOs are down (10 per game over the last 4; only 9 against Duke's pressure). Also like that State has limited 3 point threats (primarily Hellums and Beverly; WF has recently struggled with bigs that can hit the three; State doesn't have that weapon). Our previous coach had a 4-2 home record against the Pack, and we upgraded (by a lot). If this line is close to a pick, I will be on the Deacs.

Last edited:
I will be all over the Deacs here. I think we break through with a comfortable victory to return the favor for what happened in Raleigh.

my gambling brain read this as Wake being a 2 point favorite haha

3-2 finish to the season would be excellent, but 2-3 is more realistic. I'd take 2-3 and then win 1 in the ACCT to give us some momentum heading into next year.

Play like we did @f$u and we win. Play like we did against dook..... :(

Hopefully, it's the former and Coach Forbes gets to spend all 40 mins on the bench with the team. :thumbsup:

H8 ST8

Let’s put these dogs to bed.

I sincerely hope/believe that teams like ncsu and other non blue bloods that have enjoyed our 10 year run of terribleness are just hating that we hired Forbes. Blue bloods too for that matter.

I’d love to get this one, especially after coming up short last time. Always funny to see the Pack fans melt down.

Yeah round 1 against NC State was the most frustrating thing I've watched all year. We looked like the better team, showed resilience on the defensive end, fought off some runs, etc. Until Daivien hit those 4 threes in the last few minutes we were shooting like under 20% from deep and under 35% from 2 but still got within 6. And we were getting pretty good looks - we just couldn't throw it in the damn ocean.

I will be all over the Deacs here. I think we break through with a comfortable victory to return the favor for what happened in Raleigh.

I am with you on this one. I believe we will be very motivated!

So far what we've seen from Forbes after bad losses:

GT --- > Hang with UVA
ND --- > Had the FSU game in our hands
dook ---> ???

Small sample set (fortunately) but I'd expect that leaving Hurt nearly ungaurded all night translated to a rough practice focused on defense.

State forgets to guard Antonio, Wake by 15.

So far what we've seen from Forbes after bad losses:

GT --- > Hang with UVA
ND --- > Had the FSU game in our hands
dook ---> ???

Small sample set (fortunately) but I'd expect that leaving Hurt nearly ungaurded all night translated to a rough practice focused on defense.

State forgets to guard Antonio, Wake by 15.

Like what you are thinking, but after ND, WF played and beat BC.

Last edited:
You know, fuck Duke. But, also fuck state too

That's my contribution

That's my contribution

That's my contribution

My personal ACC Fuck __________ hierarchy:

Duke

UNC

Louisville
Syracuse
VT

Clemson
State

GT

FSU (but really only football)

0 Fucks Given (in no particular order):
UVA
BC
ND (ACC, so non-football)
Miami
Pitt

TV for game today

Does anyone have a link for the State game today. I have YouTube tv and that dropped RSN and it is blacked out on ESPN radio in my area. Thanks

Wtf it doesn’t look like I can watch the game either. So frustrating and ridiculous to live in the Triangle and not be able to see a game between two local teams.

If I have ESPN+ and the game is blacked out can I watch a replay later when the game is over?

Back