• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report - Clemson at WF -- EARLY START 4:30 pm Wednesday - ACCN

I mean, I think Ody has been a very pleasant surprise this year, but that is quite the hyperbole.

Well, until tonight. He looked pretty lost. Dribbling and holding the ball for no reason. Whitt hit him with a great pass for a dunk that he couldn't handle. 3 pts and 2 rebounds, in 25 minutes.

We're running a motion offense with no player or players who can break down a defender and drive the ball. Honestly we end up so far out on the parimeter that we're setting 3 or 4 screen s past the 3 point line or just handing the ball to another player. Shit looks rough right now for sure. I wish we demand our players to feed the ball down low regardless and let Ody work and kick the ball out. I realize that he is no superstar or anything but we absolutely have no talent on this team. Williamson is the best player we have on the court and he doesn't drive the ball or force the action enough. There so many holes in this team that need fixing that only new talent and a big bodied big man can fix. Let's pray for some upgrade at talent. I totally believe in Forbes but today was rough to watch, damn was rough...

All of this.

Can’t get any offensive rebounds when all 5 players are a few steps outside the 3 point line when the shot goes up.

Whitt expended a lot of energy bringing the ball up, started the offense around half court, and then we only had ~20 seconds to do something.

Felt like nobody wanted to drive to the basket. When we did try, Dubose was too slow, Williamson was too small, or Whitt didn’t look to finish.

This was the first time I watched the postgame and didn’t really agree with Forbes. He seemed to think we missed a lot of open looks... I thought we missed a ton of long, contested threes.

We are not good.

Last edited:
Forbes has lost me a bit during this stretch. I know it’s a pandemic, we are low on talent, etc but this was another horrific outing against a terrible team. 15 points in the first half is inexcusable under any circumstances. Earlier in the season we played with intensity, had an offensive identity and gave ourselves an opportunity to win down the stretch. None of those things have been true recently. Very disappointing.

Clemson was 13-5 coming into the game and most of those losses came out of their last Covid shutdown. So... it’s not like we lost to Houston Baptist.

Two other thoughts...

Embarrassing to let Pee Wee Herman go off for 17 points.

We are not a strong (nor particularly athletic) team.

Early in the year our opponents haven't completely figured out that we have no body who is a threat driving the basketball all you have to do is press out on 3 point shooters and not give people open looks because it's essentially our offense. Our best players are Mucius (4th option on a bad wake team last year) Willamson (3rd guard at ETSU), Ody (serviceable ACC front court rotation member) & Dubose (servicable ACC guard who isn't really in game shape). Total hodge podge of role players.

Well we were 7-23 from 2.

A lot of those were bad, contested shots, as well. Falling away from the basket... Off one leg... In traffic.

Yeah, we missed a few bunnies, but we lost by more than 20 points.

LOL we scored 39 pts tonight, now tell me how thats on Forbes? we have the least talented team in the ACC. Forbes needs to make some tough decisions and clean house at the end of the year.

Yep. We need 8-10 new players. WE SUCK HARD.

Forbes is going to be beating ALL the bushes to try to find some talent.

10 days ago we played our best game of the year against FSU.

We've had three games since then. Before that, we had two bad games (beating a BC team that was so thin was not a good game). That's five out of six bad games. That's not the way a team should be going.

All-in on Forbes, but the last 3 games were disappointing by any angle.

Yes, WF has limited talent. Yes, teams now have plenty of tape to scout what WF is doing, but the Deacs played their 3 worst games of the year, after playing their best game of the year against FSU. In those last 3 games (all at home), WF was 14 for 74 from 3 (26%), and WF's performance declined with each game, despite being as healthy as WF has been in the conference season, and having at least two days to prepare for each game.

In conference games, ACC teams average an offensive efficiency rate of 104.2. WF's offensive efficiency rate for the last 3 games was 98 (Duke), 91 (State), 67 (Clemson), and none of those teams are in the top 5 in the ACC in defense (against FSU, WF's offensive efficiency was 112). Simply stated, as low as the talent level is on the roster, WF played substantially below its limited talent level over the last 3, and its not close. WF just played 3 home games late in the season like you would expect from USC-Upstate, and Upstate would've scored more than 39 against Clemson. That is a complete failure on every level.

Congrats man. Lazy question: are we at 7% capacity or did you need special permission?

I guess I am already thinking fall...and just curious of current policy to attend a hoops game.

Thanks and go Deacs!

Actually emailed one of the ticket folks last week asking about a ticket for either NC State or Clemson games. They emailed back & said I was on a waiting list for the Clemson game. Then Tuesday afternoon got an email from Deacon Club that said I had two tickets. Tickets & parking were at no cost plus they gave a concessions deal behind Section 6 so got a drink & sandwich included. Very nice of them. I think they had around 100 tickets not including the 2 per person given to team & coaches, etc. Very very nice deal. Now the game was another story of course but we were all spread out across the court from both benches. There is piped in crowd noise during the game, I guess for the TV. [a little annoying really] and it stops during timeouts for all the announcements and videos.

Wake folks are circulating the entire time--Mike Muse, Barry Faircloth & AD Currie stopping to talk with folks. Now that Gov Cooper has opened things up we will get to have 15% of capacity next week for senior day. So folks should try to go!

Would be nice to see the f$u game effort at least for the last home game since we just pissed away three home games. :(

This was the first time I watched the postgame and didn’t really agree with Forbes. He seemed to think we missed a lot of open looks... I thought we missed a ton of long, contested threes.

We are not good.

We did miss a ton of long, contested threes but we also missed a number of open looks from 3 in the first half which likely would have changed the flow of the game. Clemson is a better team and still would have won but no chance it's a 20 point blowout. With the lack of talent there is zero margin for error.

And of course this team isn't good but expectations were inflated after hanging tough at UVA and Cameron coupled with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at FSU when it should have been obvious this team was clearly playing above their heads.

This is Forbes’ rock bottom. This is the worst his teams will ever be.

With the last two coaches you never had any hope that things were going to get better, such that we all literally joked about when we were going to hit rock bottom. We were in constant free fall.

Our future is bright because he’s going to pull us out of this in the coming years. He’s too competitive and skilled not to.

Forbes literally hates to lose. It's evident and he's even said it himself. This season is tearing at him.

DFL's players literally just lose.

So, yes there is no where to go but up. :thumbsup:

I'm not losing faith in an eventual turnaround. I just think this season is over.

I don't think there was a lack of effort last night... Just a complete lack of execution on offense.

Was tough to read Forbes during the presser... Seemed annoyed about some of the questions (which I understand... the last one, in particular, was a head-scratcher) and didn't have much criticism for the way we played. He's not the type to pack it in, so maybe he's reached the conclusion that it just isn't going to happen for this team... No reason to pour gas on the fire with less than two weeks to go.

Keeping hammering "identity" for the time being and then see what can be cobbled together for '21-22.

Maybe I am just depressed with the realization that we'll probably be terrible again next year... I was hoping for mediocrity by year 2 and maybe fighting for an NCAA spot in year 3. Maybe we can still get there.

Back