Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 728

Thread: Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

  1. #201
    Also, didnít Andrew Johnson decide not to run?

  2. #202
    I think Andrew Johnson didnít run either.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Umm they are already on the hook for the entire minimum. That's always been the law. If it wasn't, why wouldn't every business pay their employees $2.15 and ask for tips?
    Theyíre only on the hook for the shortfall after the initial 2.13 if there is a shortfall.
    Hungry

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Comparing an owner of a business and what they make ďan hourĒ and the wage they pay their employees is nonsensical. Your momís true pay includes her equity in the business.
    comparing her to a slave owner, accusing her of running a predatory business model, and call her the investor class are more nonsensical

  5. #205

    Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    comparing her to a slave owner, accusing her of running a predatory business model, and call her the investor class are more nonsensical
    Any business that pays 2021 Americans $7.15/hr for labor is either predatory or very poorly run. This woman needs to adapt her model so that she doesnít have to treat her employees like trash.

    The investor class comment was in reference to the macroeconomics of the situation. Iím sure there will be some small business casualties, as some owners will not want to adapt, but the vast majority of discomfort from a $15 MW will be felt by the investor class. We love to glorify small businesses in this country, but they are a minuscule part of our economy. That being said Iím all for some sort of small business transitionary tax relief, but the $15 MW has to be universal.

    The slave owner comment was hyperbole, but also an observation that the landed aristocracy is still using racism and bigotry to co-opt poor whites into rejecting social and political reforms that would actually help them. A line of political coercion that can be traced all the way back to Jamestown.

    Small business owners will have to adjust in the short term, but in the long term people having more cash in their pocket can only benefit them.
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 02-27-2021 at 07:17 PM.

  6. #206
    if you have a stronger state where your health benefits aren't tied to your employment and childcare that is subsidized and so on then you aren't putting the burden of creating livable conditions on the redwing's moms of the world

  7. #207
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,344
    Every time we have raised the minimum wage in this country (or for that matter, back to when we created one), there has been a ton of complaints about how businesses are going to close. The country and economy seem to have made it through.

    I'm sorry for Redwing's mom (although not nearly as sorry as I am for Mako's mom). While it is possible that her business might be a casualty of an increase in the minimum wage, restaurants come and go for a variety of reasons.

  8. #208
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,344
    Hit post to early. To finish, on a macro level, we are better off with a higher minimum wage, no matter the effect on a small percentage of businesses.

  9. #209
    Brasky speaks very boldly about small business owners and the economics of small businesses for a W-2 Employee paid by Taxpayers.
    Hungry

  10. #210
    Small businesses account for almost half of private sector payroll.
    Hungry

  11. #211
    Iím not an Econ guy but isnít the theory that raising wages on the bottom end of the economy stimulates local economy more than it harms it? That if people can afford to live and pay bills and take care of their family they spend money on local businesses?

    And hasnít it been demonstrated that the quality and productivity of labor making a living wage improves when economic anxiety is alleviated?

    And that if we raise the 140 million people living in poverty in America out of poverty and into a tax paying, less crime committing, less reliant on welfare state, receiving better health care, sending fewer children into poverty that we may eventually see the rising tide lift all boats?

    Or are we still just waiting for the money to trickle down from the Bush/Obama/Trump tax cuts?

  12. #212
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,855
    Thereís going to be wages flowing through the economy. Why on earth do people prefer that it stay stuck with high earners than flowing through the economy?

    People are paying thousands of dollars for NBA highlights and stock in retail video game stores. How does that help the economy more than simply paying people enough to live?

  13. #213
    there are not 140 Americans living below the poverty line as defined by US Census

    but I agree with the general sentiment: higher taxes at the top, bump the minimum wage, better state coverage of the essentials of life: housing, healthcare, food, childcare, education, etc.

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    Brasky speaks very boldly about small business owners and the economics of small businesses for a W-2 Employee paid by Taxpayers.
    This post sucks.

    Brasky speaks boldly because thatís his style and personality (for better and for worse). It has nothing to do with where he draws his paychecks.

  15. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Iím not an Econ guy but isnít the theory that raising wages on the bottom end of the economy stimulates local economy more than it harms it? That if people can afford to live and pay bills and take care of their family they spend money on local businesses?

    And hasnít it been demonstrated that the quality and productivity of labor making a living wage improves when economic anxiety is alleviated?

    And that if we raise the 140 million people living in poverty in America out of poverty and into a tax paying, less crime committing, less reliant on welfare state, receiving better health care, sending fewer children into poverty that we may eventually see the rising tide lift all boats?

    Or are we still just waiting for the money to trickle down from the Bush/Obama/Trump tax cuts?
    Yeah but burger flipping.

  16. #216
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Iím not an Econ guy but isnít the theory that raising wages on the bottom end of the economy stimulates local economy more than it harms it? That if people can afford to live and pay bills and take care of their family they spend money on local businesses?

    And hasnít it been demonstrated that the quality and productivity of labor making a living wage improves when economic anxiety is alleviated?

    And that if we raise the 140 million people living in poverty in America out of poverty and into a tax paying, less crime committing, less reliant on welfare state, receiving better health care, sending fewer children into poverty that we may eventually see the rising tide lift all boats?

    Or are we still just waiting for the money to trickle down from the Bush/Obama/Trump tax cuts?
    What Obama tax cuts? Linking him with W and Trump is totally disingenuous.

  17. #217

    Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

    I think the non-partisan report said that the $15 minimum wage would both decrease poverty and eliminate jobs.

    ETA: so overall itís going to be a net positive.
    Last edited by DeaconCav06; 02-27-2021 at 08:26 PM.
    Hungry

  18. #218
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    This post sucks.

    Brasky speaks boldly because thatís his style and personality (for better and for worse). It has nothing to do with where he draws his paychecks.
    He called a restaurant owner a slaveholder. But, sure, Iím the asshole.

    Iím also a W-2 employee and my wife is a W-2 employee that gets paid by taxpayers.
    Hungry

  19. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Any business that pays 2021 Americans $7.15/hr for labor is either predatory or very poorly run. This woman needs to adapt her model so that she doesnít have to treat her employees like trash.

    The investor class comment was in reference to the macroeconomics of the situation. Iím sure there will be some small business casualties, as some owners will not want to adapt, but the vast majority of discomfort from a $15 MW will be felt by the investor class. We love to glorify small businesses in this country, but they are a minuscule part of our economy. That being said Iím all for some sort of small business transitionary tax relief, but the $15 MW has to be universal.

    The slave owner comment was hyperbole, but also an observation that the landed aristocracy is still using racism and bigotry to co-opt poor whites into rejecting social and political reforms that would actually help them. A line of political coercion that can be traced all the way back to Jamestown.

    Small business owners will have to adjust in the short term, but in the long term people having more cash in their pocket can only benefit them.
    all of those comments were unfair shots at someone sharing his mother's specific situation; I don't understand claiming to have empathy for people and then calling her a slaveowner

    I definitely agree that the national minimum wage is too low at its current level. I don't agree that $15 is the right amount in rural SC, or WV. $15 is definitely too low to provide anything approaching a living wage in the Silicon Valley. And in my opinion, there should be room for reasoned debate on the right level without invoking slavery.

  20. #220
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    He called a restaurant owner a slaveholder. But, sure, Iím the asshole.

    Iím also a W-2 employee and my wife is a W-2 employee that gets paid by taxpayers.
    Aren't married women and women who live with guys slaveholders?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •