• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Umm they are already on the hook for the entire minimum. That's always been the law. If it wasn't, why wouldn't every business pay their employees $2.15 and ask for tips?

They’re only on the hook for the shortfall after the initial 2.13 if there is a shortfall.

Comparing an owner of a business and what they make “an hour” and the wage they pay their employees is nonsensical. Your mom’s true pay includes her equity in the business.

comparing her to a slave owner, accusing her of running a predatory business model, and call her the investor class are more nonsensical

comparing her to a slave owner, accusing her of running a predatory business model, and call her the investor class are more nonsensical

Any business that pays 2021 Americans $7.15/hr for labor is either predatory or very poorly run. This woman needs to adapt her model so that she doesn’t have to treat her employees like trash.

The investor class comment was in reference to the macroeconomics of the situation. I’m sure there will be some small business casualties, as some owners will not want to adapt, but the vast majority of discomfort from a $15 MW will be felt by the investor class. We love to glorify small businesses in this country, but they are a minuscule part of our economy. That being said I’m all for some sort of small business transitionary tax relief, but the $15 MW has to be universal.

The slave owner comment was hyperbole, but also an observation that the landed aristocracy is still using racism and bigotry to co-opt poor whites into rejecting social and political reforms that would actually help them. A line of political coercion that can be traced all the way back to Jamestown.

Small business owners will have to adjust in the short term, but in the long term people having more cash in their pocket can only benefit them.

Last edited:
if you have a stronger state where your health benefits aren't tied to your employment and childcare that is subsidized and so on then you aren't putting the burden of creating livable conditions on the redwing's moms of the world

Every time we have raised the minimum wage in this country (or for that matter, back to when we created one), there has been a ton of complaints about how businesses are going to close. The country and economy seem to have made it through.

I'm sorry for Redwing's mom (although not nearly as sorry as I am for Mako's mom). While it is possible that her business might be a casualty of an increase in the minimum wage, restaurants come and go for a variety of reasons.

Hit post to early. To finish, on a macro level, we are better off with a higher minimum wage, no matter the effect on a small percentage of businesses.

Brasky speaks very boldly about small business owners and the economics of small businesses for a W-2 Employee paid by Taxpayers.

Small businesses account for almost half of private sector payroll.

I’m not an Econ guy but isn’t the theory that raising wages on the bottom end of the economy stimulates local economy more than it harms it? That if people can afford to live and pay bills and take care of their family they spend money on local businesses?

And hasn’t it been demonstrated that the quality and productivity of labor making a living wage improves when economic anxiety is alleviated?

And that if we raise the 140 million people living in poverty in America out of poverty and into a tax paying, less crime committing, less reliant on welfare state, receiving better health care, sending fewer children into poverty that we may eventually see the rising tide lift all boats?

Or are we still just waiting for the money to trickle down from the Bush/Obama/Trump tax cuts?

There’s going to be wages flowing through the economy. Why on earth do people prefer that it stay stuck with high earners than flowing through the economy?

People are paying thousands of dollars for NBA highlights and stock in retail video game stores. How does that help the economy more than simply paying people enough to live?

there are not 140 Americans living below the poverty line as defined by US Census

but I agree with the general sentiment: higher taxes at the top, bump the minimum wage, better state coverage of the essentials of life: housing, healthcare, food, childcare, education, etc.

Brasky speaks very boldly about small business owners and the economics of small businesses for a W-2 Employee paid by Taxpayers.

This post sucks.

Brasky speaks boldly because that’s his style and personality (for better and for worse). It has nothing to do with where he draws his paychecks.

I’m not an Econ guy but isn’t the theory that raising wages on the bottom end of the economy stimulates local economy more than it harms it? That if people can afford to live and pay bills and take care of their family they spend money on local businesses?

And hasn’t it been demonstrated that the quality and productivity of labor making a living wage improves when economic anxiety is alleviated?

And that if we raise the 140 million people living in poverty in America out of poverty and into a tax paying, less crime committing, less reliant on welfare state, receiving better health care, sending fewer children into poverty that we may eventually see the rising tide lift all boats?

Or are we still just waiting for the money to trickle down from the Bush/Obama/Trump tax cuts?

Yeah but burger flipping.

What Obama tax cuts? Linking him with W and Trump is totally disingenuous.

I think the non-partisan report said that the $15 minimum wage would both decrease poverty and eliminate jobs.

ETA: so overall it’s going to be a net positive.

Last edited:
This post sucks.

Brasky speaks boldly because that’s his style and personality (for better and for worse). It has nothing to do with where he draws his paychecks.

He called a restaurant owner a slaveholder. But, sure, I’m the asshole.

I’m also a W-2 employee and my wife is a W-2 employee that gets paid by taxpayers.

Any business that pays 2021 Americans $7.15/hr for labor is either predatory or very poorly run. This woman needs to adapt her model so that she doesn’t have to treat her employees like trash.

The investor class comment was in reference to the macroeconomics of the situation. I’m sure there will be some small business casualties, as some owners will not want to adapt, but the vast majority of discomfort from a $15 MW will be felt by the investor class. We love to glorify small businesses in this country, but they are a minuscule part of our economy. That being said I’m all for some sort of small business transitionary tax relief, but the $15 MW has to be universal.

The slave owner comment was hyperbole, but also an observation that the landed aristocracy is still using racism and bigotry to co-opt poor whites into rejecting social and political reforms that would actually help them. A line of political coercion that can be traced all the way back to Jamestown.

Small business owners will have to adjust in the short term, but in the long term people having more cash in their pocket can only benefit them.

all of those comments were unfair shots at someone sharing his mother's specific situation; I don't understand claiming to have empathy for people and then calling her a slaveowner

I definitely agree that the national minimum wage is too low at its current level. I don't agree that $15 is the right amount in rural SC, or WV. $15 is definitely too low to provide anything approaching a living wage in the Silicon Valley. And in my opinion, there should be room for reasoned debate on the right level without invoking slavery.

He called a restaurant owner a slaveholder. But, sure, I’m the asshole.

I’m also a W-2 employee and my wife is a W-2 employee that gets paid by taxpayers.

Aren't married women and women who live with guys slaveholders?

all of those comments were unfair shots at someone sharing his mother's specific situation; I don't understand claiming to have empathy for people and then calling her a slaveowner

I definitely agree that the national minimum wage is too low at its current level. I don't agree that $15 is the right amount in rural SC, or WV. $15 is definitely too low to provide anything approaching a living wage in the Silicon Valley. And in my opinion, there should be room for reasoned debate on the right level without invoking slavery.

Good post.

For the record, I am strongly in favor of the $15 minimum wage, but speaking in absolutes about the effects of increasing the minimum wage seems misguided. I think it’s the single most controversial topic amongst economists.

Back