• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Found this opinion piece quite interesting from The Guardian regarding the police reform bill passed by the House. Seems like a very weak effort in the face of all the talk politicians used in their trump speeches and campaigning. If you're not going to start with what you want, you're going to end up compromising on an already compromised effort.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/04/the-george-floyd-act-wouldnt-have-saved-george-floyds-life-thats-says-it-all

The Democrats!

I don't know what the George Floyd Act does to qualified immunity, but she did mention it in the intro and then never again

I do think removal -- or maybe even weakening -- of QI could have saved Floyd's life

and make the FOP pay out misconduct charges and see what happens

Found this opinion piece quite interesting from The Guardian regarding the police reform bill passed by the House. Seems like a very weak effort in the face of all the talk politicians used in their trump speeches and campaigning. If you're not going to start with what you want, you're going to end up compromising on an already compromised effort.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ve-saved-george-floyds-life-thats-says-it-all

So the crux of the argument is that the police accountability legislation didn't address the progressive wish list of Covid stimulus payments instead?

So the crux of the argument is that the police accountability legislation didn't address the progressive wish list of Covid stimulus payments instead?

I would say the crux of the argument is that in a bill named after the victim of police murder, nothing in that bill would have prevented his death.

The talk of COVID payments seemed to me a way to highlight the general eagerness to throw more money into policing while at the same time hand wringing over giving additional money to those who desperately need it. The changes many suggest for this bill were separate from COVID relief but instead trying to enact measures from the Breathe Act which would actually reform our idea of policing rather than these more symbolic gestures which won't address the systemic issues.

I agree with Juice above in that doing away with qualified immunity is much needed and it is included in this bill - but again, it's a small part of a bigger problem that is being overlooked/ignored.

I would say the crux of the argument is that in a bill named after the victim of police murder, nothing in that bill would have prevented his death.

The talk of COVID payments seemed to me a way to highlight the general eagerness to throw more money into policing while at the same time hand wringing over giving additional money to those who desperately need it. The changes many suggest for this bill were separate from COVID relief but instead trying to enact measures from the Breathe Act which would actually reform our idea of policing rather than these more symbolic gestures which won't address the systemic issues.

I agree with Juice above in that doing away with qualified immunity is much needed and it is included in this bill - but again, it's a small part of a bigger problem that is being overlooked/ignored.
This wording to me seems broader than just banning chokeholds.

SEC. 101. DEPRIVATION OF RIGHTS UNDER COLOR OF LAW.

Section 242 of title 18, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking “willfully” and inserting “knowingly or recklessly”;

(2) by striking “, or may be sentenced to death”; and

(3) by adding at the end the following: “For purposes of this section, an act shall be considered to have resulted in death if the act was a substantial factor contributing to the death of the person.”.

I'm not gonna poo poo a chokehold ban though because the Eric Garner video was one of the most mind-searing videos I've ever seen and that should never ever be okay ever

(a) Definition.—In this section, the term “chokehold or carotid hold” means the application of any pressure to the throat or windpipe, the use of maneuvers that restrict blood or oxygen flow to the brain, or carotid artery restraints that prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air of an individual.

So what happened to George Floyd would fall under that definition in my opinion and I think under any reasonable person's opinion. He had a knee to the neck and head area which reduced oxygen and blood flow to the brain. So the entire contention here is incorrect.

Last edited:
Im sure that, even if it was passed, the police would spend all that new money on legal training for their officers so they would understand all the new definitions and follow the letter of the law.

Maybe we should let all the violent criminals out of jail and fire all the cops.

Im sure that, even if it was passed, the police would spend all that new money on legal training for their officers so they would understand all the new definitions and follow the letter of the law.
I am just spit balling here but if you are a journalist and you're gonna write an article in a national publication claiming that a law would not apply to a specific situation, that you should probably glance over the law to confirm that your assumption is correct.

This is Fox News talk

I'll do newsmax
Maybe we should let all convicted pedophiles out of jail and provide them job training to work at day care centers and schools. Great idea lubes!"

Anyone want to do oan?

(a) Definition.—In this section, the term “chokehold or carotid hold” means the application of any pressure to the throat or windpipe, the use of maneuvers that restrict blood or oxygen flow to the brain, or carotid artery restraints that prevent or hinder breathing or reduce intake of air of an individual.

So what happened to George Floyd would fall under that definition in my opinion and I think under any reasonable person's opinion. He had a knee to the neck and head area which reduced oxygen and blood flow to the brain. So the entire contention here is incorrect.

Interesting - I haven't heard that mentioned by any of the representatives or discussed in any articles. Do you have a link to where you're reading that? The House hasn't released the text from what I can tell.

Vote on $15 minimum wage amendment fails 42-58. Not even close.

Back