• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

I’m pretty liberal, but I’m not hung up on the $15MW for the exact reasons CL lists. I view it as a “nice to have”, but not integral to the deal and shouldn’t prevent Joe from declaring victory when they get this signed.

I imagine that's what's going to end up happening. The truth of the matter is that a move to $15 minimum wage would mostly have an impact on rural areas in this country that have lower cost of living and vote overwhelmingly republican anyway. With all major retailers moving to $15 an hour for people who stock their shelves It's gonna filter down to all the other retailers grocery stores fast food restaurants etc in any population center even if their minimum wage isnt close to $15 anyway.

Does that count for an original thought O arrogant one?

Don’t worry...pretty sure there aren’t actually many original thoughts out there.

I simply do not understand chrisL's point of view here, as I think he:

- Believes the minimum wage increase is popular (see: Florida ballot initiative in GOP state)
- Hasn't said anything about why the amendment content was misguided
- But thinks it was a bad idea for Democrats to vote for it

there seems to be some logic that it was silly to vote for it because it won't pass, but the whole thing is simply self-reinforcing logic because it didn't pass because the Dems don't vote for it

Let's get a few facts on the table. I am 100% for raising the minimum wage to a living wage. $15 may be a good target, but in some places it needs to be higher.

With the exception of PA, WI, MI ($9.65) and NV ($8.75) blue states already have minimum wages of over $10/hour which is about the same place the $15/hour scale starts. The people getting screwed the worst are in red states.

Add to this, Biden has made an EO that no federal contracts will be given to any company who doesn't pay at least $15/hour.

If Dems had any brains, they would start running ads in red states that Republicans are unified in keeping them poor and show how the same jobs pay much more in blue states. Dems need to be turning this around and very loudly.

I simply do not understand chrisL's point of view here, as I think he:

- Believes the minimum wage increase is popular (see: Florida ballot initiative in GOP state)
- Hasn't said anything about why the amendment content was misguided
- But thinks it was a bad idea for Democrats to vote for it

there seems to be some logic that it was silly to vote for it because it won't pass, but the whole thing is simply self-reinforcing logic because it didn't pass because the Dems don't vote for it

OK

1. I believe that the $15 minimum wage is popular. I believe that a lower minimum wage is more popular and the difference in that popularity is due to more support in rural areas. Florida is one of the most densely populated states in the US with a very high cost of living. Even then the bill had much more Pub support in counties either in population centers or close to population centers. In the rural panhandle counties, it didn't fare as well. This goes back to my point about who this would really impact when looking at red states vs blue states from a national perspective.

2. The amendment was misguided because all of the Pubs were going to vote against it and you know at least 2 dems were. So it was going to fail. We knew yesterday and we knew it weeks ago.

3. At that point, how other dems voted on this performative amendment really didn't matter to me. I don't care about virtue signaling. But I would imagine that they are more in tune about how this would play in their state than the progressive intelligensia on this board. NH for instance is a pretty rural state. Others voted it down because they knew that it would bog down the covid bill or that there should be some debate due to the disparate effect this would have on different parts of the country.

4. Personally, for the reasons I have posted, I don't think this is the hill we should die on. The hill we should die on is the HR 1 voting rights act.

Does that help you understand my thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:
OK

1. I believe that the $15 minimum wage is popular. I believe that a lower minimum wage is more popular and the difference in that popularity is due to more support in rural areas. Florida is one of the most densely populated states in the US with a very high cost of living. Even then the bill had much more Pub support in counties either in population centers or close to population centers. In the rural panhandle counties, it didn't fare as well. This goes back to my point about who this would really impact when looking at red states vs blue states from a national perspective.

I take it you've never driven through the Panhandle. It is rural Alabama. If small businesses there can make a $15/hr MW work, why can't the rest of the country?

Also I just left my first ever County Democratic (Zoom) meeting. Somehow I became the precinct chair for our area. So I'm an officer of the Democratic Party now. WTF?

Last edited:
I take it you've never driven through the Panhandle. It is rural Alabama. If small businesses there can make a $15/hr MW work, why can't the rest of the country?

Also I just left my first ever County Democratic (Zoom) meeting. Somehow I became the precinct chair for our area. So I'm an officer of the Democratic Party now. WTF?
The minimum wage in Alabama is $7.25 an hour in the minimum age in Florida right now is $8.65 an hour.

That’s how it works. If you show up, you can become a leader. The Democratic Party is barely an organization.

Precinct chairs are either extremely eager to help with your campaign/mobilize support or will actively avoid you with no space in-between, I've found.

Brasky is just another cog in the DNC power structure!!!

I can’t wait to ruin Brasky’s inevitable senate run by tweeting out all his terribad OGBoards takes

I can’t wait to ruin Brasky’s inevitable senate run by tweeting out all his terribad OGBoards takes

I've been told over and over and over again that nothing you post online has any impact on anything.

Oh I'm aware that will have to run as unapologetic asshole if.I ever seek higher office. Too much internet evidence out there to the contrary.

Oh I'm aware that will have to run as unapologetic asshole if.I ever seek higher office. Too much internet evidence out there to the contrary.

Well then you’re a shoo-in. Don’t forget the little people and bring back the pork to OGBoards. They will name the on-campus arena in your honor

I can just see Breitbart publishing Brasky posts send to them by “Colonel Angus” with no idea of the joke.

Ultimately, to be fair, the Dems stuck together enough to pass a bill that will get thousands of dollars into people’s hands right now, along with more checks later in the year for families with kids, and managed not to fall into the trap of compromising with moderate Pubs.

OK

2. The amendment was misguided because all of the Pubs were going to vote against it and you know at least 2 dems were. So it was going to fail. We knew yesterday and we knew it weeks ago.

3. At that point, how other dems voted on this performative amendment really didn't matter to me. I don't care about virtue signaling. But I would imagine that they are more in tune about how this would play in their state than the progressive intelligensia on this board. NH for instance is a pretty rural state. Others voted it down because they knew that it would bog down the covid bill or that there should be some debate due to the disparate effect this would have on different parts of the country.

4. Personally, for the reasons I have posted, I don't think this is the hill we should die on. The hill we should die on is the HR 1 voting rights act.

Does that help you understand my thoughts on the subject?

I take several issues with this:

- the $15 minimum wage is popular nationally (around 60%); I can only find one poll from WV and it's by a left-wing group, but it also shows 63% support it. You yourself support it. And yet you seem so wiling to be supportive of the party being held hostage by Manchin because of your perceived inevitability of it all instead of saying "hey, this is not good -- the party should push for this"

- you say this is not a hill you want to die on, but it's hard not to be dismissive of this as someone who (presumably based on info you've posted) does not experience a great deal of financial hardship due to low wages; it smacks of a bit of elitism because, at the end of the day, the livability of your wage is not at stake.

- the hill you do want to die on requires the end of the filibuster, which Manchin said he will never support; perhaps you think he was posturing to leverage his position, but there has been no evidence that he will move on that piece, thus leaving us with two hills and none dead

- I can't help but feel there is a double standard at play from the moderates. when Manchin and other right-wing Dems hold the party hostage and prevent the amendment from passing, the bringing of the bill to vote is deemed "performative"; however, should someone like Bernie do the same on, say, trade, there is no doubt in my mind that the moderate Dems would not accuse the ones who brought the trade bill to a vote of being "performative"

- the above relates to the idea that you can replace Bernie with another Democrat in a state like Vermont, no problem, but if not Manchin in WV then inevitably a Republican. Perhaps some truth to that, but if he is blocking voting rights reform and he is blocking the minimum wage, what value is his presence in the Senate to the Democrats? The answer, most certainly, comes down to the speakership. But again, what does it matter if bills are blocked by the speaker instead of blocked by Manchin's vote? Sure, there is a category of bills that would have been blocked by McConnell yet passed with Manchin as a yes -- but what are those bills? The stimulus checks that Trump himself supported? Manchin doesn't support the Green New Deal, ending the filibuster, universal healthcare, a livable wage, or really anything that I can identify of note. So what bills are being passed on account of him being a Democrat instead of a Republican? My hope is there are some things that I do not know about -- improved child tax credits or universal daycare or something I'm less familiar with that will improve the lives of the most vulnerable.

- the price of the above -- holding the speakership yet not actually passing any progressive legislation -- is that the Dems are now the party of leadership for a Senate that cannot move forward on popular progressive ideas. they set themselves up to get the blame for none of the rewards.

Back