• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Let’s just drop gender from sports all together and go with measuring pre-competition testosterone levels. It will be like wresting weigh ins for weight class. Athletes will eat tons of tofu in the days before the blood test to try and get there testosterone level down.

Would there be estrogen tests for Duke and UNC athletes?

credibility watch is a great board meme

I'm open to the idea that their is nuance in the debate over gender identification and sports, but my original point was that Manchin went out of his way to vote for an amendment to the COVID relief bill stating that all trans people should be banned from playing in their associated gender. He wants that to be a federal law.

That makes him a bad guy, and someone that Biden/Schumer/Pelosi needs to toss him to the garbage as soon as they can.

Last edited:
Can one of the moderates here explain the path to the voting rights bill passage with regard to Manchin?

Can one of the moderates here explain the path to the voting rights bill passage with regard to Manchin?

It's not about moderates. It's not about Manchin. It is about learning your HS civics. Without ending the filibuster and without adding a funding aspect to HR1, Schumer will need Manchin + 10 Republicans to get a vote on the bill.

Some sort of loophole would have to be added into the filibuster.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/what-drives-joe-manchin/618208/

this article by someone who knows him seems to think that he wants to keep the filibuster, but he isn't going to let the GOP just use it to indiscriminately block all legislation.

If Manchin comes out and says that the GOP isn't being reasonable as minority party, it provides much more validation if the dems move to significantly change the filibuster rules.

Last edited:

Manchin didn't say no to doing a Civil rights/Voting Rights cut out while being interviewed on MTP. He didn't say yes, but the big part was not saying no.

but he isn't going to let the GOP just use it to indiscriminately block all legislation.

what does this actually mean? is there an explanation of how you could "add loopholes" and "not let the GOP block all legislation" without ending it?

the only thing of substance that I've seen is going back to require people to physically stand and talk -- seems weak; what else fits the "loopholes" criteria?

I've also seen him talk about using budget reconciliation as a moment to pass voting rights legislation, but don't see how that's permissible

all I know is Manchin is on the record as saying he's never going to end the filibuster and I don't see a path forward on HR1 without that happening, unless I'm underestimating the loopholes

what does this actually mean? is there an explanation of how you could "add loopholes" and "not let the GOP block all legislation" without ending it?

the only thing of substance that I've seen is going back to require people to physically stand and talk -- seems weak; what else fits the "loopholes" criteria?

I've also seen him talk about using budget reconciliation as a moment to pass voting rights legislation, but don't see how that's permissible

all I know is Manchin is on the record as saying he's never going to end the filibuster and I don't see a path forward on HR1 without that happening, unless I'm underestimating the loopholes

Roughly:

Chair, I rise to make a point of order that the 60 vote cloture rule does not apply to VRA bill.

Overruled

Chair, I’d like to appeal your ruling

50 Dems plus Harris vote to overrule the chair.

Therefore, debate can be ended by simple majority vote (50 Dems plus Harris again)

50 Dems plus Harris then vote to pass the VRA.

Last edited:
That's essentially what we have right now with the state setting their own minimum wages and you don't see that happening.

The minimum wage is already different across states, and shockingly, large business still seem to be able to operate in California.

Brasky speaks very boldly about small business owners and the economics of small businesses for a W-2 Employee paid by Taxpayers.

all of those comments were unfair shots at someone sharing his mother's specific situation; I don't understand claiming to have empathy for people and then calling her a slaveowner

I definitely agree that the national minimum wage is too low at its current level. I don't agree that $15 is the right amount in rural SC, or WV. $15 is definitely too low to provide anything approaching a living wage in the Silicon Valley. And in my opinion, there should be room for reasoned debate on the right level without invoking slavery.

They should pay people a living wage. The Confederacy lost, slavery is over.

They are both wrong... it is on Cal Cunningham.

No act. Bree Newsome is acting like a whiny crybaby with her "Biden should send a goon squad to give Manchin a stern talking to" routine. totally ridiculous and tone death to the current reality. Not to mention that it isn't the president that whips votes in congress anyway.

And I have found that over the years I have agreed with rj on some issues and have disagreed with rj on some issues. I don't base my opinions on what rj's opinions are. I try to arrive at them independently.

That vote is straight horseshit. Dems are going to get annihilated in 2022 and deserve every bit of it.

Roughly:

Chair, I rise to make a point of order that the 60 vote cloture rule does not apply to VRA bill.

Overruled

Chair, I’d like to appeal your ruling

50 Dems plus Harris vote to overrule the chair.

Therefore, debate can be ended by simple majority vote (50 Dems plus Harris again)

50 Dems plus Harris then vote to pass the VRA.

For that to work Manchin has to vote yes, which means he's voting to essentially kill the filibuster, right?

For that to work Manchin has to vote yes, which means he's voting to essentially kill the filibuster, right?

As I said earlier, this morning, Manchin was specifically asked if he would support a filibuster cut out for civil rights or VRA bills. He didn't answer yes or no. Over the past month, he hasn't hesitated when stating he wouldn't support ending the filibuster entirely.

It looks like there is an opening to get a "loophole" vote from Manchin to get the VRA/HR1 to the floor.

Why wouldn't every other non-super Senate majority just use that strategy for every bill moving forward?

“Precedent”

Once it’s used once or twice, it’s a quick path to getting rid of the filibuster entirely (see judicial appointments). It depends on who you ask if they think that’s a good thing or not.

Well for one thing you have an entire professional designation of women's sports that accounts for the fact that women and men are physiologically different.

This. There really shouldn’t be any argument. This is a.l that needs to be said on the matter.

Let’s just drop gender from sports all together and go with measuring pre-competition testosterone levels. It will be like wresting weigh ins for weight class. Athletes will eat tons of tofu in the days before the blood test to try and get there testosterone level down.

I know you’re kidding around but this is closer to being fair than men competing against women in athletics, especially when it’s someones profession and means to provide for their family.

Back