• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Term limits are the worst idea ever. Besides taking away my right to vote whom I want, it will make DC exponentially less efficient and more corrupt than it is today. If there is constant turnover, even less will get done as people will no relationships with anyone but donors. If you aren't independently wealthy and willing to spend your own money, you will have to kowtow to donors, PACs and interest groups. They will need the money and bodies to get elected and fill out their term limits.

It will also mean Members will be looking for their next job from the day they take office. Many (probably most) will be open to the highest bidder. '

Term limits is like so many RW ideas. They are bumper stickers that sound good until you try to make them happen.

I'm not saying 2 year terms...I'm saying somewhere in between 4 years and eternity.

Goddamn, the idea of an exponentially less efficient DC seems almost incomprehensible.

I think Biden has done about what I expected so far - I don't agree with them, but he's at least proposed a COVID bill, immigration reform, police reform and done a much better job with vaccine rollout. Not surprised he continues the American bomb wherever you want train of thought as that seems to be Plan A for both Dems and Pubs.

The House and Senate haven't done much of anything from what I can tell - they should have had bills ready to vote on from Day 1. The Equality Act is the first I've noticed - anything else they've actually voted on? Put the pressure on Republicans or morons like Manchin to vote against bills that 2/3rds of the country are in favor of. Instead the pressure/fault remains on the Dem shoulders. Republicans aren't going to negotiate when they know you have no chance of passing anything.

who gives a shit about bipartisanship

remember in 2017 when ted cruz said "we don't have to listen to the advice of the parliamentarian"? and so they didn't.

GOP are evil ghouls but they get stuff done because they don't care about this absolute nonsense.

someone more cynical than me would say they're gonna listen to the parliamentarian not because of norms or whatever, but because they never wanted to pass minimum wage hike in the first place, cause they're bought and paid for cucks.

go tell someone who has made the same minimum wage for a decade plus we can't raise their wages because of an unelected rando.

The reality is the minimum wage has a better chance to pass on its own. Putting it into a bill when the parliamentarian says it's illegal gives cover to those who want to stop both the minimum wage and Covid relief. Also, as a standalone, those who oppose it won't have any cover on either bill.

The reality is Biden has been for upping the minimum wage for decades. He's the most pro-labor and pro-union guy in the WH in many decades.

I would love both to pass as one, but it ain't happening. The question is do you want neither to pass?

I'm not saying 2 year terms...I'm saying somewhere in between 4 years and eternity.

You have to make it a multiple of 6 years. Obviously six years would be moronic. Whether it's 12 or 18, what I outlined would happen. Congress would be massively less efficient and more corrupt than Tammany Hall evetr dreamed of being.

It sounds good but can't work in practice.

The reality is Biden has been for upping the minimum wage for decades.

18728.jpeg

doing a heck of a job, joe

I think Biden has done about what I expected so far - I don't agree with them, but he's at least proposed a COVID bill, immigration reform, police reform and done a much better job with vaccine rollout. Not surprised he continues the American bomb wherever you want train of thought as that seems to be Plan A for both Dems and Pubs.

The House and Senate haven't done much of anything from what I can tell - they should have had bills ready to vote on from Day 1. The Equality Act is the first I've noticed - anything else they've actually voted on? Put the pressure on Republicans or morons like Manchin to vote against bills that 2/3rds of the country are in favor of. Instead the pressure/fault remains on the Dem shoulders. Republicans aren't going to negotiate when they know you have no chance of passing anything.

The standalone Covid bill has a huge supporter in the GOP Gov of WV. Manchin will have pressure from both sides to vote for it in the next two weeks.

18728.jpeg

doing a heck of a job, joe

You are acting like one person can do that alone. You are acting like for the past decade McConnell hasn't killed any hope of this happening.

My bad, it's Biden's fault that he isn't a dictator who listens exclusively to the far left. The far left almost gave the GOP the House in 2020. The Crew was the poster children for attacks against Dems who won in 18 and lost in 20.

The question is very simple- Do you want to be dogmatic and lose or win and get some of what you want?

lol i should have just stayed away from the politics board

it appears that the curve has been set for the class, and the dems can never fail

looks kind of like we're being moderate and losing right now

For someone to have been "for upping the minimum wage for decades" he sure never sponsored or cosponsored any bills about it:

https://www.congress.gov/member/jos...ed","subject":"Economics+and+Public+Finance"}

https://www.congress.gov/member/jos...+Public+Finance","sponsorship":"cosponsored"}

He did cosponsor wage and budget freezes and balanced budgeting bills a handful of times. A lot of "opportunity zones" and welfare reform stuff.

No I don't blame Biden alone for not getting a wage hike passed. But it's also utterly for lack of trying. I'm glad he's pushing it now, but don't believe this Congress will pass it.

lol i should have just stayed away from the politics board

it appears that the curve has been set for the class, and the dems can never fail

No one ever said that. But every time someone disagrees with you, that's you what you allege.

What has been constant is that if you don't get everything you want; the way you want it and get it yesterday, it's a failure.

A decade ago the Dems lost Congress due to ACA being too radical. Now, it's incredibly popular. You want to throw out the entire system today and expect 1/6 of the US economy to be up and running overnight and the changes to be implemented immediately.

How many more COVID deaths would have OK with you to "prove" youre position?

I know MILLENIALS want 100% of what they want yesterday, but that's not how world works. You can sit up in your moms basement and bitch about how awful doing so was, but thousands of BOOMERS would have suffered even more while you sipped your shitty booze and eaten your fast foods while you complained.

For someone to have been "for upping the minimum wage for decades" he sure never sponsored or cosponsored any bills about it:

https://www.congress.gov/member/jos...ed","subject":"Economics+and+Public+Finance"}

https://www.congress.gov/member/jos...+Public+Finance","sponsorship":"cosponsored"}

He did cosponsor wage and budget freezes and balanced budgeting bills a handful of times. A lot of "opportunity zones" and welfare reform stuff.

No I don't blame Biden alone for not getting a wage hike passed. But it's also utterly for lack of trying. I'm glad he's pushing it now, but don't believe this Congress will pass it.

But your first post blamed him. Now, you are saying the opposite. Which is it?

he's not in congress now, rj, i blame his VP and his chief of staff for agreeing to this normative nonsense more than i blame him; i blame congressional dems of all kinds for not doing their utmost to help people

But your first post blamed him. Now, you are saying the opposite. Which is it?

can you provide any evidence of his decades long strident support of minimum wage hikes or is it just a gut feeling you have

having a good chuckle at rj's gotcha attempt this morning thanks fellas

The "Greatest Generation" threw many of our asses in jail for trying to change world. MILLENISAILS are getting off easy. It's SAD and HILARIOUS that you think your actions are NEW or DIFFERENT.

Townie and Brasky don't pay much attention. We've had our time. If you read what RJ said, rather that than he said it, you would understand his biggest problems is that your generation doesn't take enough chances. This is so in everything from actually voting to music to amateur athletics to starting businesses to all sorts of other things. MILLENIALS worry too much about not succeeding IMMEDIATELY. In life, as in basketball, the only shot you are guaranteed to miss is the one you don't take. You guys don't take enough mid range shots. Its just misses dunks and three points.

We just wish MILLENIALS would put together actual plans not bumper stickers for term limits.

Many (maybe most) of us want to morph into university healthcare, but we understands you can't change 1/5 or 1/6 of entire US economy overnight. Not youngins, you want it now and if you can't have it you cry. Before you MILLENIALS bitch about this, you should look around and see RJ has been longest and loudest poster about moving towards eliminating private insurance companies delivering anything other than purely choice healthy services.

A decade ago the Dems lost Congress due to ACA being too radical. Now, it's incredibly popular. You want to throw out the entire system today and expect 1/6 of the US economy to be up and running overnight and the changes to be implemented immediately.

not sure if a single sentence in this paragraph is true

Dems lost congress in 2010 because of tea party obama racism, not because the dems tried to be too good

ACA isn't "incredibly popular" and especially not with people who actually use the care it provides

9267-03-Figure-1.png

the fundamental issue with it is that it doesn't correct the problem it intends to solve at the fringe

poor people are trapped in poverty because if they make too much money to disqualify for medicaid, and they want insurance, their next choice is an incredibly expensive ACA plan with $7000 deductibles

i'm glad we've insured tens of millions more people, it was better than absolutely nothing, i just want something even better, and i'm very cynical of improvements happening in this or the next or the next administration. that's not the same thing as "expecting it to be up and running overnight and changes to be implemented immediately"

Back