• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

His plan b is ludicrous. Most big corporations are either at $15 per hour or are in the process of getting there. If you exempt small businesses, which would include most of related franchising vehicles around the country, it would be meaningless mostly.

We need to pass a move to a $15 minimum wage.

Last edited:
He wasted everybody's time pushing something that was clearly gonna get struck down by the senate parliamentarian.

It's an advisory role. The VP can overrule. It happened regularly before the last few decades. What you call time wasting I call good faith efforts to get $15 minimum wage.

It's an advisory role. The VP can overrule. It happened regularly before the last few decades. What you call time wasting I call good faith efforts to get $15 minimum wage.

In this case, it would be subject to appeal by simple majority vote, which would be a problem since two Dem senators have already indicated that they would vote against it.

Sometimes i think of ways to make the world a better place but then I stop and think “would the landlords deem this practical?”

Sometimes i think of ways to make the world a better place but then I stop and think “would the landlords deem this practical?”

So what would you do to sway Sinema and Manchin?

So what would you do to sway Sinema and Manchin?

Snarky comments about them being landlords perhaps. It's been very effective at pushing progressive policy so far.

I wonder how a sliding minimum wage that goes from $12.50-18/hour with $15 minimum for government contracts would do. The scale would slide due to cost-of-living. WV would be $12.50 but DC may be $17, etc.

I mean, a ton of this falls at the feet of Manchin and Sinema, because they refuse to do anything.

That said, you won't get much argument from me that the geriatric generation controlling dem politics is awful.

I hate pervasive media coverage that seems to focus on attempting to explain the “arcane” budget reconciliation rules and FAILS to say WHY the bill has to be put through this way.

I wonder how a sliding minimum wage that goes from $12.50-18/hour with $15 minimum for government contracts would do. The scale would slide due to cost-of-living. WV would be $12.50 but DC may be $17, etc.

It would be widely abused. Every large company would base themselves out of WV or KS or wherever the lowest minimum wage was, and then use every loophole possible to fuck over their employees.

The people that run our corporations and financials are generally immortal and disgusting, and must have a gun pointed at their heads at all times, or they will lie, cheat, steal and kill at every opportunity. We live in a culture that worships greed and strives for inhumane social and working conditions. Hobbes was right.

I mean, a ton of this falls at the feet of Manchin and Sinema, because they refuse to do anything.

That said, you won't get much argument from me that the geriatric generation controlling dem politics is awful.

Dems also ran an anthropomorphized saltine in NC that got got for sending wistful makeout texts to a political operative 3,000 miles away

Dems also ran an anthropomorphized saltine in NC that got got for sending wistful makeout texts to a political operative 3,000 miles away

Pretty sure that asshat was hand picked by Schumer, god he is a fucking loser. AOC needs to primary the shit out of him.

It would be widely abused. Every large company would base themselves out of WV or KS or wherever the lowest minimum wage was, and then use every loophole possible to fuck over their employees.

The people that run our corporations and financials are generally immortal and disgusting, and must have a gun pointed at their heads at all times, or they will lie, cheat, steal and kill at every opportunity. We live in a culture that worships greed and strives for inhumane social and working conditions. Hobbes was right.
That's essentially what we have right now with the state setting their own minimum wages and you don't see that happening.

That could be true. But I do think certain places should be higher.

The ironic part is Costco has just upped minimum wage to $16. Amazon is already at $15. I think WalMart and Target are on close to getting to $15. So are other national brands.

I'm kinda surprised that sit down restaurants aren't complaining about $15 given how deeply tips are involved and how badly they have been impacted by Covid.

The minimum wage is already different across states, and shockingly, large business still seem to be able to operate in California.

That's essentially what we have right now with the state setting their own minimum wages and you don't see that happening.

The minimum wage is already different across states, and shockingly, large business still seem to be able to operate in California.

State's might have different wages, but they selectively choose to enforce it. Billions are stolen from workers each year, due to companies paying below state minimum wage standards and not given in trouble for doing so.

Federal enforcement with soul crushing penalties to businesses that break this law, are long overdue and desperately needed. You must always point the gun at their heads. Always.

https://www.epi.org/publication/employers-steal-billions-from-workers-paychecks-each-year/

Last edited:
State's might have different wages, but they selectively choose to enforce it. Billions are stolen from workers each year, due to companies paying below state minimum wage standards and not given in trouble for doing so.

Federal enforcement with soul crushing penalties to businesses that break this law, are long overdue and desperately needed. You must always point the gun at their heads. Always.

https://www.epi.org/publication/employers-steal-billions-from-workers-paychecks-each-year/

Ok, but that's a different conversation than whether it makes sense to institute a federal sliding-scale minimum wage.

Ok, but that's a different conversation than whether it makes sense to institute a federal sliding-scale minimum wage.

Disagree. Just like with anything involving gender or race, that states have proven that they can't be trusted to protect the rights of their workers. $15/hr Federal minimum with robust workers protections has to happen, or Gilded Age 2.0 will continue.

Back