• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Disagree. Just like with anything involving gender or race, that states have proven that they can't be trusted to protect the rights of their workers. $15/hr Federal minimum with robust workers protections has to happen, or Gilded Age 2.0 will continue.

Are those protections included in the current federal minimum wage law?

I mean, a ton of this falls at the feet of Manchin and Sinema, because they refuse to do anything.

That said, you won't get much argument from me that the geriatric generation controlling dem politics is awful.

Mitch is an absolute ghoul of a human but you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus. I thought that was part of the point of this thread.

Mitch is an absolute ghoul of a human but you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus. I thought that was part of the point of this thread.

I mean, one of the stated priorities of the 'pubs during Trump's 1st 2 years was to do away with the ACA. McConnell couldn't get that done. Couldn't get a border wall built either. He passed a tax cut and put judges on the bench and did nothing else. Its not hard to whip votes to vote no, especially when you can unilaterally decide not to bring a bill to the floor at all.

wait, you don't see what happening? companies moving to low wage states?
Companies might be moving for low regulation property taxes other general cost incentives Where they can get similarly qualified and skilled workforces. But the number of companies that would have the wherewithal to relocate for a minimum wage rate differential is just not very significant when people can go get a job at Walmart or Target moving quickly to $15 an hour. If you really looking to save money at those kind of wage levels, you are going to pretty much have to outsource or automate.

Last edited:
It's a ludicrous comparison. Obama had 60 votes in the Senate. Biden doesn't really have 50 consistent votes. That alone makes any comparison ridiculous.

Along with that, Obama had good cooperation from his predecessor in getting his cabinet and subcabinet selections confirmed. Biden had obstruction after obstruction thrown at his picks. And that is still ongoing. At least some of the obstruction appears to have racist undertones. Biden also had delayed start to the transition, as the prior OMB head refused to sign the documents to allow Biden and his transition team access to federal facilities and officials until she was "certain" Biden was President-elect.

He famously wasn’t able to whip the vote on ACA, which was the Pubs highest stated priority.

Companies might be moving for low regulation property taxes other general cost incentives Where they can get similarly qualified and skilled workforces. But the number of companies that would have the wherewithal to relocate for a minimum wage rate differential is just not very significant when people can go get a job at Walmart or Target moving quickly to $15 an hour. If you really looking to save money at those kind of wage levels, you are going to pretty much have to outsource or automate.

companies may not have moved to low wage states much in 2020 (or 2019 before the pandemic) but much of that is because many of the manual labor force-intensive jobs already shifted to low-wage right-to-work states over the last quarter or so of the 20th century if they didn't go overseas

yes, LBJ in 68. I guess technically any president pre-FDR that didn't run for another term also.

TR, Truman, and Coolidge served less than 2 full terms and each declined to run again. Those 3 were like LBJ in that they had been president for more than 4 years. You would have to go back to the 1800s to find a true one termer who declined to run again. I know Polk for sure. He ran saying he would not seek re-election. He set a number of goals for his presidency and accomplished all of them in one term.

Now that I think about it, TR did run again, but not immediately after his first full term ended.

I mean, one of the stated priorities of the 'pubs during Trump's 1st 2 years was to do away with the ACA. McConnell couldn't get that done. Couldn't get a border wall built either. He passed a tax cut and put judges on the bench and did nothing else. Its not hard to whip votes to vote no, especially when you can unilaterally decide not to bring a bill to the floor at all.

He famously wasn’t able to whip the vote on ACA, which was the Pubs highest stated priority.

thank you for proving my point

my guess is there were republicans pretty mad at his leadership to not be able to do what he was elected to do

back to the topic of this threadd

It was obvious a month ago that the minimum wage hike would be a deal breaker for getting a Covid bill thru quickly. At that point you fucking remove it and move forward. Instead you held the people in need hostage over an issue that should be a stand alone bill, and ended up being cucked by multiple members of your own party as well as the parliamentarian.

Absolute failure of leadership.

thank you for proving my point

my guess is there were republicans pretty mad at his leadership to not be able to do what he was elected to do

Your point that "you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus" is proven by a very visible (or audible if you wish) failure to whip votes? OK.

Your point that "you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus" is proven by a very visible (or audible if you wish) failure to whip votes? OK.

if you were a republican making a "McConnell accountability thread" you might expect inability to whip votes for a key bill to be on the thread, that was my point rather than whether or not you hear about it

It was obvious a month ago that the minimum wage hike would be a deal breaker for getting a Covid bill thru quickly. At that point you fucking remove it and move forward. Instead you held the people in need hostage over an issue that should be a stand alone bill, and ended up being cucked by multiple members of your own party as well as the parliamentarian.

Absolute failure of leadership.

The question is, was it an intentional failure of leadership? I wouldn’t put it past Schumer and Pelosi. They only care about appearances and identity politics. Helping people is not a priority.

Back