Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 911

Thread: Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

  1. #81
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    That's essentially what we have right now with the state setting their own minimum wages and you don't see that happening.
    wait, you don't see what happening? companies moving to low wage states?

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    Disagree. Just like with anything involving gender or race, that states have proven that they can't be trusted to protect the rights of their workers. $15/hr Federal minimum with robust workers protections has to happen, or Gilded Age 2.0 will continue.
    Are those protections included in the current federal minimum wage law?

  4. #84
    politico article from earlier this week called Biden's Slow Start: https://www.politico.com/newsletters...w-start-491861

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconSig View Post
    I mean, a ton of this falls at the feet of Manchin and Sinema, because they refuse to do anything.

    That said, you won't get much argument from me that the geriatric generation controlling dem politics is awful.
    Mitch is an absolute ghoul of a human but you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus. I thought that was part of the point of this thread.

  6. #86
    Banhammer'd
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    HB, CA
    Posts
    78,116
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    politico article from earlier this week called Biden's Slow Start: https://www.politico.com/newsletters...w-start-491861
    It's a ludicrous comparison. Obama had 60 votes in the Senate. Biden doesn't really have 50 consistent votes. That alone makes any comparison ridiculous.

  7. #87
    Rusty Larue
    DeaconSig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    11,371
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Mitch is an absolute ghoul of a human but you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus. I thought that was part of the point of this thread.
    I mean, one of the stated priorities of the 'pubs during Trump's 1st 2 years was to do away with the ACA. McConnell couldn't get that done. Couldn't get a border wall built either. He passed a tax cut and put judges on the bench and did nothing else. Its not hard to whip votes to vote no, especially when you can unilaterally decide not to bring a bill to the floor at all.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    wait, you don't see what happening? companies moving to low wage states?
    Companies might be moving for low regulation property taxes other general cost incentives Where they can get similarly qualified and skilled workforces. But the number of companies that would have the wherewithal to relocate for a minimum wage rate differential is just not very significant when people can go get a job at Walmart or Target moving quickly to $15 an hour. If you really looking to save money at those kind of wage levels, you are going to pretty much have to outsource or automate.
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 02-26-2021 at 02:51 PM.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    It's a ludicrous comparison. Obama had 60 votes in the Senate. Biden doesn't really have 50 consistent votes. That alone makes any comparison ridiculous.

    Along with that, Obama had good cooperation from his predecessor in getting his cabinet and subcabinet selections confirmed. Biden had obstruction after obstruction thrown at his picks. And that is still ongoing. At least some of the obstruction appears to have racist undertones. Biden also had delayed start to the transition, as the prior OMB head refused to sign the documents to allow Biden and his transition team access to federal facilities and officials until she was "certain" Biden was President-elect.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Mitch is an absolute ghoul of a human but you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus. I thought that was part of the point of this thread.
    He famously wasnít able to whip the vote on ACA, which was the Pubs highest stated priority.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Companies might be moving for low regulation property taxes other general cost incentives Where they can get similarly qualified and skilled workforces. But the number of companies that would have the wherewithal to relocate for a minimum wage rate differential is just not very significant when people can go get a job at Walmart or Target moving quickly to $15 an hour. If you really looking to save money at those kind of wage levels, you are going to pretty much have to outsource or automate.
    companies may not have moved to low wage states much in 2020 (or 2019 before the pandemic) but much of that is because many of the manual labor force-intensive jobs already shifted to low-wage right-to-work states over the last quarter or so of the 20th century if they didn't go overseas

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    yes, LBJ in 68. I guess technically any president pre-FDR that didn't run for another term also.
    TR, Truman, and Coolidge served less than 2 full terms and each declined to run again. Those 3 were like LBJ in that they had been president for more than 4 years. You would have to go back to the 1800s to find a true one termer who declined to run again. I know Polk for sure. He ran saying he would not seek re-election. He set a number of goals for his presidency and accomplished all of them in one term.

    Now that I think about it, TR did run again, but not immediately after his first full term ended.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    It would be widely abused. Every large company would base themselves out of WV or KS or wherever the lowest minimum wage was, and then use every loophole possible to fuck over their employees.

    The people that run our corporations and financials are generally immortal and disgusting, and must have a gun pointed at their heads at all times, or they will lie, cheat, steal and kill at every opportunity. We live in a culture that worships greed and strives for inhumane social and working conditions. Hobbes was right.
    If they are immortal they are not going to care about the gun.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by DeaconSig View Post
    I mean, one of the stated priorities of the 'pubs during Trump's 1st 2 years was to do away with the ACA. McConnell couldn't get that done. Couldn't get a border wall built either. He passed a tax cut and put judges on the bench and did nothing else. Its not hard to whip votes to vote no, especially when you can unilaterally decide not to bring a bill to the floor at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    He famously wasnít able to whip the vote on ACA, which was the Pubs highest stated priority.
    thank you for proving my point

    my guess is there were republicans pretty mad at his leadership to not be able to do what he was elected to do

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    We live in a culture that worships greed and strives for inhumane social and working conditions. Hobbes was right.
    ehhhh

  16. #96
    back to the topic of this threadd


  17. #97
    It was obvious a month ago that the minimum wage hike would be a deal breaker for getting a Covid bill thru quickly. At that point you fucking remove it and move forward. Instead you held the people in need hostage over an issue that should be a stand alone bill, and ended up being cucked by multiple members of your own party as well as the parliamentarian.

    Absolute failure of leadership.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    thank you for proving my point

    my guess is there were republicans pretty mad at his leadership to not be able to do what he was elected to do
    Your point that "you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus" is proven by a very visible (or audible if you wish) failure to whip votes? OK.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by DistrictDeacon View Post
    Your point that "you don't hear about his inability to whip votes in his caucus" is proven by a very visible (or audible if you wish) failure to whip votes? OK.
    if you were a republican making a "McConnell accountability thread" you might expect inability to whip votes for a key bill to be on the thread, that was my point rather than whether or not you hear about it

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyRogersRoast View Post
    If they are immortal they are not going to care about the gun.
    This is a metaphorical gun that when fired bankrupts their company and tosses their leadership in prison

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •