• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Anus won't be able to read/understand these articles because he has a small brain and is a small man, but they put the issues these few historians have with the 1619 in proper context (and their primary issue is what Gordon Wood references above):

One thing is clear, any inaccuracy/inaccuracies in the 1619 Project (which is meant to supplement not replace teaching in regular history books) pale in comparison to the anti-CRT, book burning, founding father revering at all costs fascist white washed history Anus and conservatives want to teach.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/06/1619-project-new-york-times-mistake-122248

"But it has also become a lightning rod for critics, and that one sentence about the role of slavery in the founding of the United States has ended up at the center of a debate over the whole project. A letter signed by five academic historians claimed that the 1619 Project got some significant elements of the history wrong, including the claim that the Revolutionary War was fought to preserve slavery. They have demanded that the New York Times issue corrections on these points, which the paper has so far refused to do. For her part, Hannah-Jones has acknowledged that she overstated her argument about slavery and the Revolution in her essay, and that she plans to amend this argument for the book version of the project, under contract with Random House."

"The 1619 Project, in its claim that the Revolution was fought primarily to preserve slavery, doesn’t do justice to this history. Nor, however, does the five historians’ critical letter. In fact, the historians are just as misleading in simply asserting that Lincoln and Douglass agreed that the Constitution was a “glorious liberty document” without addressing how few other Americans agreed that the Constitution’s protections should be shared with African Americans. Gradual emancipation laws, as well as a range of state and local laws across the antebellum nation limiting black suffrage, property ownership, access to education and even residency in places like Ohio, Washington and California, together demonstrate that legally, the struggle for black equality almost always took a back seat to the oppressive imperatives of white supremacy. And racial violence against black people and against those few white people who supported ending slavery and supported black citizenship undergirded these inequalities—a pattern that continued well into the 20th century."

"The five historians’ letter says it “applauds all efforts to address the enduring centrality of slavery and racism to our history.” The best-known of those letter-writers, however, built their careers on an older style of American history—one that largely ignored the new currents that had begun to bubble up among their contemporaries. By the time Gordon Wood and Sean Wilentz were publishing their first, highly acclaimed books on pre-Civil War America, in the early 1970s and mid-1980s, respectively, academic historians had begun, finally, to acknowledge African American history and slavery as a critical theme in American history. But Wood and Wilentz paid little attention to such matters in their first works on early America."

"The five historians’ letter says it “applauds all efforts to address the enduring centrality of slavery and racism to our history.” The best-known of those letter-writers, however, built their careers on an older style of American history—one that largely ignored the new currents that had begun to bubble up among their contemporaries. By the time Gordon Wood and Sean Wilentz were publishing their first, highly acclaimed books on pre-Civil War America, in the early 1970s and mid-1980s, respectively, academic historians had begun, finally, to acknowledge African American history and slavery as a critical theme in American history. But Wood and Wilentz paid little attention to such matters in their first works on early America."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/12/historians-clash-1619-project/604093/

"Several weeks ago, the Princeton historian Sean Wilentz, who had criticized the 1619 Project’s “cynicism” in a lecture in November, began quietly circulating a letter objecting to the project, and some of Hannah-Jones’s work in particular. The letter acquired four signatories—James McPherson, Gordon Wood, Victoria Bynum, and James Oakes, all leading scholars in their field."

"Nevertheless, some historians who declined to sign the letter wondered whether the letter was intended less to resolve factual disputes than to discredit laymen who had challenged an interpretation of American national identity that is cherished by liberals and conservatives alike."

"The letter’s signatories recognize the problem the Times aimed to remedy, Wilentz told me. “Each of us, all of us, think that the idea of the 1619 Project is fantastic. I mean, it's just urgently needed. The idea of bringing to light not only scholarship but all sorts of things that have to do with the centrality of slavery and of racism to American history is a wonderful idea,” he said. In a subsequent interview, he said, “Far from an attempt to discredit the 1619 Project, our letter is intended to help it.”"

POINT STANDS (since it can't have a chair while on strike)!

I'll allow the col to introduce professional and subject matter expert opinions into the record since his evidence is normally... thinner...

I like when Angus copies/pastes debates between historians he barely understands, while meanwhile his compadres are trying to forcibly get teachers and students to affirm that the founding fathers were heroes.

Q. In fact, those who claim that the American Revolution was a counterrevolution to protect slavery focus on the timing of the Somerset ruling of 1772, which held that slavery wasn’t supported by English common law, and Dunmore’s promise to free slaves who escape their masters.

A. To go from these few facts to create such an enormous argument is a problem. The Somerset decision was limited to England, where there were very few slaves, and it didn’t apply to the Caribbean. The British don’t get around to freeing the slaves in the West Indies until 1833, and if the Revolution hadn’t occurred, might never have done so then, because all of the southern colonies would have been opposed. So supposing the Americans hadn’t broken away, there would have been a larger number of slaveholders in the greater British world who might have been able to prolong slavery longer than 1833. The West Indies planters were too weak in the end to resist abolition. They did try to, but if they had had all those planters in the South still being part of the British Empire with them, that would have made it more difficult for the British Parliament to move toward abolition.

It's crazy to think the founding fathers couldn't magically predict the future and would worry about the short-term ramifications of the Somerset act. Fighting a war over stamps on playing cards is much more reasonable.

I like when Angus copies/pastes debates between historians he barely understands, while meanwhile his compadres are trying to forcibly get teachers and students to affirm that the founding fathers were heroes.

And their beloved Dear Leader thinks that Thomas Jefferson wrote the Constitution. Just another of those alternative facts, I guess.

Anus won't be able to read/understand these articles because he has a small brain and is a small man, but they put the issues these few historians have with the 1619 in proper context (and their primary issue is what Gordon Wood references above):

One thing is clear, any inaccuracy/inaccuracies in the 1619 Project (which is meant to supplement not replace teaching in regular history books) pale in comparison to the anti-CRT, book burning, founding father revering at all costs fascist white washed history Anus and conservatives want to teach.

Lulz - deaconson requested the ignored facts and inaccuracies in the 1619 project along with the SOURCES. All of the above was provided.

And extra points for your pathetic and flailing attempt to put the "issues these few historians have with the 1619 in proper context". Quality entertainment as always.

Why do you gullible clowns have such a problem admitting you were suckered in on another hoax because it aligned with what you WANT to be true?

Just take the L. It should be second nature to you by now.

Lulz - deaconson requested the ignored facts and inaccuracies in the 1619 project along with the SOURCES. All of the above was provided.

And extra points for your pathetic and flailing attempt to put the "issues these few historians have with the 1619 in proper context". Quality entertainment as always.

Why do you gullible clowns have such a problem admitting you were suckered in on another hoax because it aligned with what you WANT to be true?

I’ve heard more about the 1619 project from you than from any other media or academic outlet.

Lulz. I acknowledged your source as the professional opinion that it is. You don't understand the difference between opinion and fact. Attestation and substantiation. You also, quite poorly, dodged producing evidence.

And, I was correct - you're too stupid to be able to read and understand what I posted or those articles. Pretty sure there was one arguable inaccuracy and the person who wrote it acknowledged the error (or that it could be read in a way she did not intend) and said she would correct it in the subsequent version (sorry, you don't know what subsequent means-- a later version), and that the authors of the letter, including Gordon Wood, fully support the 1619 project and some of them have their own issues with how they've handled slavery/racism in books they've written.

I realize I'm talking to a dumb wall, but maybe you'll get a tenth of this?

Last edited:
And, I was correct - you're too stupid to be able to read and understand what I posted or those articles. Pretty sure there was one arguable inaccuracy and the person who wrote it acknowledged the error (or that it could be read in a way she did not intend) and said she would correct it in the subsequent version (sorry, you don't know what subsequent means-- a later version), and that the authors of the letter, including Gordon Wood, fully support the 1619 project and some of them have their own issues with how they've handled slavery/racism in books they've written.

I realize I'm talking to a dumb wall, but maybe you'll get a tenth of this?

Just for a moment, imagine you were right in your positions. If so, would you have to write in this tone to another person? I don't get why you're so hateful and angry all of the time. It can't come from a healthy place.

Just for a moment, imagine you were right in your positions. If so, would you have to write in this tone to another person? I don't get why you're so hateful and angry all of the time. It can't come from a healthy place.
Yes because Brad approaches his board interactions from such a place of respect.

Conservatives: "You librul MENSA Tunnels Left idiots are so gullible and stupid - you live in a bubble and don't know a damn thing about how the real world works. Here, let me post this source that I've clearly barely read to show just what morons all of you are. Just take the L like you always do!"

Liberals: "Your source doesn't show what you claim it says, so fuck off."

Conservatives: "Why do you have to be so mean? It must be because you're miserable in real life, because god knows all of the conservatives who post here are so polite and respectful in their comments."

Fake news. This is a gop victory against progressives! Nice job lil' donnie jenius!!

Nobody would ever have cared about infrastructure if Trump hadn’t introduced the concept.

Back