• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Tough decision for Biden. Is this the correct thread? Brittany Griner is a WNBA All-Star.

Would we be handling this the same if it were Karl-Anthony Towns? Klay Thompson? Jayson Tatum?

Just thought it merits some discussion somewhere as she is pleading guilty, presumably, this week - good grief.

Are we handling this the same as the other Americans that no one has heard of that are detained in Russia as opposed to asking whether would come home as soon as other more prominent athletes detained in Russia.

Want Griner to come home, but if I had a relative detained in Russia, would be concerned about Griner (or any other more famous person) being the focus of US diplomatic efforts as compared to others in the same situation.

Are we handling this the same as the other Americans that no one has heard of that are detained in Russia as opposed to asking whether would come home as soon as other more prominent athletes detained in Russia.

Want Griner to come home, but if I had a relative detained in Russia, would be concerned about Griner (or any other more famous person) being the focus of US diplomatic efforts as compared to others in the same situation.

yeah, not sure why she should get special treatment

She is definitely going to be punished (and probably already has been) more than she should for he offense. But, if you're an American going to Russia, you need to follow the law strictly because you won't be treated fairly.

I agree it's a very minor transgression. And jail at all far exceeds the "crime". But when you're a 6'9" black woman in Russia, you better follow the law. Especially when war was on the horizon.

It's almost as if the so-called "liberal mainstream media" increasingly doesn't exist, and instead we just have right-wing propaganda media and superficial entertainment media masquerading as news networks.

It's almost as if the so-called "liberal mainstream media" increasingly doesn't exist, and instead we just have right-wing propaganda media and superficial entertainment media masquerading as news networks.

Well said. If it bleeds, it leads. Once it’s healed, you never hear about it. So people who trust media think it bled out.

Yep.

It’s all about clicks. And nothing gets clicks like scandal and fear mongering.

Yeah I mean it’s rather ridiculous that Ranger’s tweet is the first I’m reading of it.

If we’re up against literal fascism, and the other side has been conditioned to think Liberal media is just fake news anyways, why don’t we just blanket 90% of the airwaves with the positive data like this so that the rest of us at least have some idea when something like this happens ?

Yeah I mean it’s rather ridiculous that Ranger’s tweet is the first I’m reading of it.

If we’re up against literal fascism, and the other side has been conditioned to think Liberal media is just fake news anyways, why don’t we just blanket 90% of the airwaves with the positive data like this so that the rest of us at least have some idea when something like this happens ?

Who is "we?"

there is a push by both ends to act like the media is in the bag for est dems.

You might have missed the NYT's new editor

there is a push by both ends to act like the media is in the bag for est dems.

This feels like pretty dated analysis. There is definitely criticism of the "MAINSTREAM MEDIA" by the fringe, but the idea of the "liberal media" is more of a Fox News 2008 talking point than it is relevant to the national conversation today (in my opinion). I don't watch Fox News or OANN; I'm sure to some degree it's still happening with their grievance narrative. It almost certainly happens around elections, though I think where the right has been successful is with their populism, like the media elites won't tell you "..."

Where I think the left offers useful critique of mass media is from academia, specifically Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein, and especially the concept of manufacturing consent.

The "if it bleeds it leads" concept gets viewers which sells ads. The externalities of this are that news overly focuses on violent crime, which means as a society we narrowly define crime. We think of theft as burglary or armed robbery rather than white collar versions (wage theft, embezzlement, tax fraud). There are lots of examples of this.

This feels like pretty dated analysis. There is definitely criticism of the "MAINSTREAM MEDIA" by the fringe, but the idea of the "liberal media" is more of a Fox News 2008 talking point than it is relevant to the national conversation today (in my opinion). I don't watch Fox News or OANN; I'm sure to some degree it's still happening with their grievance narrative. It almost certainly happens around elections, though I think where the right has been successful is with their populism, like the media elites won't tell you "..."

Where I think the left offers useful critique of mass media is from academia, specifically Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein, and especially the concept of manufacturing consent.

The "if it bleeds it leads" concept gets viewers which sells ads. The externalities of this are that news overly focuses on violent crime, which means as a society we narrowly define crime. We think of theft as burglary or armed robbery rather than white collar versions (wage theft, embezzlement, tax fraud). There are lots of examples of this.
I'm talking more about the perception that is built with the middling non politically astute voters than reality. There is this perception that if mainstream media atracks Democrats that they're doing that even though they're in the bag for Democrats and if they attack a republican then its discounted.

I'm talking more about the perception that is built with the middling non politically astute voters than reality. There is this perception that if mainstream media atracks Democrats that they're doing that even though they're in the bag for Democrats and if they attack a republican then its discounted.

I don't want to pick nits, but there's a difference between broadcast news and talk show style coverage, and I was talking mostly about the former. I don't watch much of either, but the rundown on broadcast news seems to go from small to big with human interest in between in hopes of keeping viewers for the longest possible time. It knows its audience skews older, suburban, and wants to be scared. The latter is probably more what you're talking about, direct criticisms of politicians.

It feels to me that the formula for Fox News is to have a generic rightwing guest ginning up some grievance du jour (pronouns, CRT, gas prices) and then the studio talking head just drawing an uneven comparison to "Why isn't Joe Biden doing anything about this, in your opinion?"

By comparison I'm sure CNN/MSNBC did something similar if not so blatant with Trump or conservative controlled Congresses or will go to bat for certain issues regardless of the party in power (gun control, abortion).

If people are so disingenuous or disconnected to say capital M "Media" is in the bag for establishment Dems only, they'd ignore reality about market share that rightwing media has or how little CNN and MSNBC care who is in office.

Last edited:
There are million blue check pundits on twitter, enough for each of us to find one that fits our biases. It’s no accomplishment to find an establishment supporting moderate journalist.

Back