• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

You think a 16 year old living at home with their parents deserves to make a $15 minimum wage doing some kind of mindless job?

If the job is paying $15/hr then it will more desirable to adults who need employment, and $7.25 wasn’t going to cut it. Also if the last year had taught us anything those “mindless” jobs are more essential to our daily lives than we give them credit for.

Working in the food industry is more of a social benefit than somebody who dicks around on their meaningless spreadsheet all day.

I think this is more nuanced than people are treating it.

Does the 16 year old bagging my groceries need a living wage or the teenager scanning my ticket at the movie theater?

But if we make those exceptions then McDonald’s will hire two teenagers instead of one single mother trying to raise a child.

What’s a living wage for a cohabitating couple with no kids vs the single mother?

Maybe that 16yo wants to go to college and his/her parents can't afford it.

I think what we should do is cap legal fees at $150/hour with the proviso that 1/3 is used for the staff. $100/hour=at least $4000/week. You can live well anywhere in America on $208,000/year. Why should a lawyer make more?

If you want to keep poor people poor, why shouldn't they be able to cap your earnings?

Why are conservatives so opposed to line workers making more money?

It all goes back to the investor class, who think it’s their god given right to profit from doing nothing but investing their inherited capital into companies that make profits by pay slum wages. They are the only people who get burned by raising the minimum wage.

It’s 21st century feudalism

If the job is paying $15/hr then it will more desirable to adults who need employment, and $7.25 wasn’t going to cut it. Also if the last year had taught us anything those “mindless” jobs are more essential to our daily lives than we give them credit for.

Working in the food industry is more of a social benefit than somebody who dicks around on their meaningless spreadsheet all day.

I think the reality is that most of those “mindless” jobs are going to be cut.

You need somebody to stock shelves and you need somebody to run the cash register. You don’t need somebody else to put the groceries in the bag.

It all goes back to the investor class, who think it’s their god given right to profit from doing nothing but investing their inherited capital into companies that make profits by pay slum wages. They are the only people who get burned by raising the minimum wage.

It’s 21st century feudalism

Ahh yes those silly 21st century lords with their local stores and restaurants.

Maybe that 16yo wants to go to college and his/her parents can't afford it.

I think what we should do is cap legal fees at $150/hour with the proviso that 1/3 is used for the staff. $100/hour=at least $4000/week. You can live well anywhere in America on $208,000/year. Why should a lawyer make more?

If you want to keep poor people poor, why shouldn't they be able to cap your earnings?

There is so much that is wrong in this post that I’m not sure where to start.

I don’t want to keep people poor I want people who work 40 hours a week to able to afford to live without government assistance.

All I said is that this is not as simple as you would like it to be.

Why are conservatives so opposed to line workers making more money?

As I showed earlier, even in restaurants, labor costs rarely top 30% (most try to cap it at 25-28%) and it will take 4-5 years to double the minimum wage. Let's say they increase the minimum wage by 20%/year. If the diner has 30% labor costs, that means they would have to raise prices by 6% to break even.

Would patrons notice if their breakfast or burger went up from $9 to $9.50? And that would be the worst case scenario.

On the other side, all those employees will have more money to spend at other businesses. Demand creates jobs. Raising the minimum wage would create jobs not kill them.

As I showed earlier, even in restaurants, labor costs rarely top 30% (most try to cap it at 25-28%) and it will take 4-5 years to double the minimum wage. Let's say they increase the minimum wage by 20%/year. If the diner has 30% labor costs, that means they would have to raise prices by 6% to break even.

Would patrons notice if their breakfast or burger went up from $9 to $9.50? And that would be the worst case scenario.

On the other side, all those employees will have more money to spend at other businesses. Demand creates jobs. Raising the minimum wage would create jobs not kill them.

Labor costs doubling over a five year period is bad for any business.

What about in states where the servers’ wage is $2.13 plus tips? How does that math work?

There is so much that is wrong in this post that I’m not sure where to start.

I don’t want to keep people poor I want people who work 40 hours a week to able to afford to live without government assistance.

All I said is that this is not as simple as you would like it to be.

The core premise of your post is that it should be about WHO is getting paid. Who decides that? How much will be spent to get some people out of being covered? How many job descriptions will be messed with to avoid the top level of your premise?

However, geographic input could make sense. It would be $12.50/hour in WV but $18/hour in NYC. SF, or DC. You can live better on $500/week in WV than on $720/week in SF.

I wish they could piggyback making a public insurance option available to everyone over 18 (some don't have parents' insurance to be covered by). This would dramatically lower insurance rates across the board and get us closer to universal care. But it won't pass until they kill the filibuster.

How many employees do you think the average restaurant has?

Depends on the size, but most are part time.

Also now that we’re paying a living wage, restaurants can relax tipping and build that into the increased price of food. Tipping is horrid system, designed mainly to normalize wage theft and tax evasion.

The core of my premise is that we are paying a livable wage. That means different things to different people in different parts of the country.

What about in states where the servers’ wage is $2.13 plus tips? How does that math work?

CA has a $12minimum wage for people getting tips right now. Are your states too stupid or inefficient to do what happens here?

BTW, rents and other costs are much higher here as well and most restaurant prices here are priced competitively with those in your area.

No they make $7.25/hr minimum. Owners not making up the difference if tips are low that day, are commuting wage theft. Which should be a felony and lead to lose of licensure.

Depends on the size, but most are part time.

Also now that we’re paying a living wage, restaurants can relax tipping and build that into the increased price of food. Tipping is horrid system, designed mainly to normalize wage theft and tax evasion.

Not sure how part time vs full time plays into the issue since the wage is across the board.

CA has a $12minimum wage for people getting tips right now. Are your states too stupid or inefficient to do what happens here?

BTW, rents and other costs are much higher here as well and most restaurant prices here are priced competitively with those in your area.

My state is 100 percent too stupid to ever do the right thing. Other than the 2020 election and runoff.

The core of my premise is that we are paying a livable wage. That means different things to different people in different parts of the country.

If we are already paying a living wage why do people have to work multiple jobs and use government assistance to get by?

Where is $7.25/hr (around $16K/year) a living wage? Hell, where is $10/hr ($21-22K/yr) a living wage?

And you can’t factor in any government welfare or assistance, because if that’s needed then how is the original wage a living wage?

Back