• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

Even when we disagree, I treat you with respect. Yet you often feel the need to insult me.

Why is that?

nothing about your two prior posts could be considered respectful

I've noticed the total silence from the far left posters here about Biden's historic, full-throated support of unions and creating unions. I've never heard a POTUS be so open, definitive and strong in his bsupport of the union movement in America.

I can't wait to see the excuses of why this wasn't a huge victory for workers and leveling the playing field.

Look how respectful he is!

the real reason Pittsburgh graduate students can't form their union is the University gives Ballard Spahr $1 million dollars a year to stop it

The PLRB ruled that Pitt cheated in our last election, but the result was in their opinion inevitable so the cheating doesn't matter

Joe Biden has nothing to do with our union so far. To rj's original snark ass point, maybe the reason the radical antifa far left bad guys are so quiet about Biden re: unions is that some of those people are fighting for them now and Ballard Spahr isn't going to stop fighting us because Biden recorded a message of support.

I'll champion more changes to the NLRB and PLRB, but I'm going to mock anyone who thinks a Biden (or Bernie!) tweet gets us closer to a union.

the real reason Pittsburgh graduate students can't form their union is the University gives Ballard Spahr $1 million dollars a year to stop it

The PLRB ruled that Pitt cheated in our last election, but the result was in their opinion inevitable so the cheating doesn't matter

Joe Biden has nothing to do with our union so far. To rj's original snark ass point, maybe the reason the radical antifa far left bad guys are so quiet about Biden re: unions is that some of those people are fighting for them now and Ballard Spahr isn't going to stop fighting us because Biden recorded a message of support.

I'll champion more changes to the NLRB and PLRB, but I'm going to mock anyone who thinks a Biden (or Bernie!) tweet gets us closer to a union.

You're so right. POTUS should fix everything in his first 45 days. I hear there's a pot hole in alley in Pittsburgh that hasn't been filled in. It must be Biden's fault. He obviously doesn't care about anyone in PA.

I mean he must know about every issue, in every town. After all, standing up to one of the three largest corporations in the world on the issue of unions in one of the reddest states country doesn't show he supports unions. If he doesn't drop everything and support your specific union, he doesn't support the union movement.

Even knowing he can't get $15/hour passed right now, he made an executive order that companies with government contracts must pay $15/hour. Again, since that's not specifically for your plight, it doesn't show he supports fairer pay for workers in America.

Now that's a combination of truth, reality and snark.

Last edited:
again (third time?), I don't blame Biden so have fun with whatever fantasy you're in rj

I'm genuinely curious: what are Biden's pro-union accomplishments as a congressman or VPOTUS?

again (third time?), I don't blame Biden so have fun with whatever fantasy you're in rj

Your so right...your saying this "Joe Biden has nothing to do with our union so far." doesn't at all mean you expect his involvement in your specific need.

Expecting Biden to assist our unionization efforts and blaming him for not doing so are two very different things that you continue to conflate.

I simply don't count the Alabama video recording as particularly meaningful in the face of a pretty serious corporate-legal anti-union bulwark. Perhaps if you were involved in organizing a union campaign in 2021 you would feel similarly.

I'm energized by Ohr's start to recall Trump memos at the NLRB - more of that is necessary and we'll see where it goes.

Last edited:
Expecting Biden to assist our unionization efforts and blaming him for not doing so are two very different things that you continue to conflate.

The first is casual of the second. Plus, it's beyond incredulous to think a POTUS who takes office in the situation Biden has would ever even hear about your plight. The fact that he did stand up in support of Amazon employees' rights to unionize will have a ripple effect.

In fact, given that the Senate seat in PA is so critical, wouldn't it make sense to use your situation as an impetus in PA? In fact, someone from your group could bring a lot attention to your desires if they called a presser thanking Biden for his support of workers' rights and explaining it to the general public. Use the system to make more people know what is going on. If you are loud enough, you could even get Biden or Jen Tsaki asked about it.

The first is casual of the second. Plus, it's beyond incredulous to think a POTUS who takes office in the situation Biden has would ever even hear about your plight. The fact that he did stand up in support of Amazon employees' rights to unionize will have a ripple effect.

In fact, given that the Senate seat in PA is so critical, wouldn't it make sense to use your situation as an impetus in PA? In fact, someone from your group could bring a lot attention to your desires if they called a presser thanking Biden for his support of workers' rights and explaining it to the general public. Use the system to make more people know what is going on. If you are loud enough, you could even get Biden or Jen Tsaki asked about it.

Or, as an alternative, have you thought about toilets? Lots and lots of toilets?

As I understand it the pro-union statement was a Ron Klain signature effort. Nice to have someone like Klain and not Rahm in there for the first 100 days.

I'd say it was the most pro-union rhetoric from a President since Truman, for sure. Biden hammered some of these talking points home on the campaign trail, and if he sticks to some of the promises here: https://joebiden.com/empowerworkers/, he'd be better than any Pres since New Deal for Labor (which certainly isn't saying much as the Dems haven't exactly been friendly to labor for 50 years).

In the macro, I think a $15 minimum wage and expanding access to health care support the central aims he lays out:

As president, Biden will:

Check the abuse of corporate power over labor and hold corporate executives personally accountable for violations of labor laws;
Encourage and incentivize unionization and collective bargaining; and
Ensure that workers are treated with dignity and receive the pay, benefits, and workplace protections they deserve.

Marty Walsh as Labor Secretary would be a good first step too. I doubt Sanders would have gotten confirmed, though that also would have been a good move.

I know that the left doesn't care too deeply about these things, but putting a union member in charge of Labor Dept and a teacher in charge of Education are both good moves.

Sanders as Sec. of Labor could easily have switched control of the Senate as Vermont's Governor is a Republican.

As I understand it we're not to expect anything from the Senate.

The first is casual of the second.

Only if you have evidence of the causal relationship. Here you have one Pitt union organizer saying he doesn't blame Biden. I'm not sure where you're getting the rest of your evidence.

In fact, someone from your group could bring a lot attention to your desires if they called a presser thanking Biden for his support of workers' rights and explaining it to the general public. Use the system to make more people know what is going on. If you are loud enough, you could even get Biden or Jen Tsaki asked about it.

Calling a presser doesn't have the same purchase in 2021 under local news controlled by media conglomerates. Most of these stations have a healthy/close relationship with university admin, and are pretty clearly loath to carry us.

I brought up the Biden video at our meeting yesterday, and we'll likely use it to strengthen our position at some point, but it'll have to be social/alt press.

I simply don't count the Alabama video recording as particularly meaningful in the face of a pretty serious corporate-legal anti-union bulwark. Perhaps if you were involved in organizing a union campaign in 2021 you would feel similarly.

I'm energized by Ohr's start to recall Trump memos at the NLRB - more of that is necessary and we'll see where it goes.

The whole point of this thread is to talk about accountability of Democratic Party leaders, that's basically looking at whether their actions and subsequent outcomes match the rhetoric of their speeches. At this point, with Biden on unions, all we have is a speech and no actions or outcomes. It's great that he is talking about this stuff, but ultimately we have to see what the Dems can actually get done.

Alabama is a conservative shithole state. Tens of thousands of residents of Alabama would benefit from pro-union laws given how many car companies and chicken processing plants relocated there to avoid unions in the north and mid west. But, the people there are so convinced that unions are 1) communist, 2) benefits the elites, somehow, and 3) drive up prices of Walmart imported "goods" that they band together to fight for politicians that fight their ability to band together to fight for better wages, healthcare and working conditions.

Back