• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biden/Schumer/Pelosi Accountability Thread

none of this speaks to why the Democrats elected to national office do not push for these popular items in Congress

Dems are the party of caring for people. They give a shit about people other than themselves. See living wages, Healthcare as a right, education, anti-racism. Now compare with the pubs. They are the party of selfishness. Get what you can when you can. Greed 8s good. Anti-abortion (they aren't pro life), pro gun with hundreds of terrorist attacks on American soil every year, anti-science and expertise.

The modern gop are cut throat killers. Dems keeps assuming people (aka trumpublicans) will care enough about others to do the right thing. They'll just keep getting crushed.

But they did that through tax cuts which is acceptable to Republican orthodoxy not through a huge government spending program.

He signed into law over $2.1 TN of discretionary spending via BBA 2018 and 2019, mostly increasing military funding. The other >$2TN of debt he added was a mix of tax cuts and relief packages (and as you rightly suggest, is mostly tax cuts).

He signed into law over $2.1 TN of discretionary spending via BBA 2018 and 2019, mostly increasing military funding. The other >$2TN of debt he added was a mix of tax cuts and relief packages (and as you rightly suggest, is mostly tax cuts).
If there's one area that republicans seem to be fine with spending including their constituents its the military. They have an entire rationalisation revolving around constitutionally enumerated spending.

Some do particularly in reliably blue states. However the popularity is either soft or doesn't translate into a winning electoral strategy in a lot of battleground states.

Right. Dems have good ideas that they are bad at communicating to the electorate.

There is a hardwired ethos among a lot of gen x and older white people that the government is just a giant bureaucracy and is not efficient or effective in doing most anything. Throw in a little resentment and racism and that is a hard nut to crack from a communication standpoint when it's so ingrained.

There is a hardwired ethos among a lot of gen x and older white people that the government is just a giant bureaucracy and is not efficient or effective in doing most anything. Throw in a little resentment and racism and that is a hard nut to crack from a communication standpoint when it's so ingrained.

How much of this do you put down to Reagan?

I attribute most of it to Reagan because it doesn’t seem common among young Gen X and millennials who were children under Reagan. The sentiment seems to switch from government isn’t effective to politicians aren’t effective.

It’s subtle but one blames the institution and requires people to stop the government from harming people. The other blames the people for not doing more within the institution.

One of the biggest problems with government is that the old politicians infected with this mindset won’t get out of the way and they’ve made it harder for young generations to get the political and social power to make change.

If there's one area that republicans seem to be fine with spending including their constituents its the military. They have an entire rationalisation revolving around constitutionally enumerated spending.

As a country we did not heed Eisenhower's warning about the military industrial complex much to the dismay of most of the world.

Plus Limbaugh (and the ruse/rise of conservative media generally) plus the captured religious right.
I attribute most of it to Reagan because it doesn’t seem common among young Gen X and millennials who were children under Reagan. The sentiment seems to switch from government isn’t effective to politicians aren’t effective.

It’s subtle but one blames the institution and requires people to stop the government from harming people. The other blames the people for not doing more within the institution.

One of the biggest problems with government is that the old politicians infected with this mindset won’t get out of the way and they’ve made it harder for young generations to get the political and social power to make change.
Yep

Reagan's 1981 inaugural: "government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Reagan 1986 press conference: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

Reagan's 1981 inaugural: "government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."

Reagan 1986 press conference: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

Thanks for the quotes - I miss that man more and more each day

Thanks for the quotes - I miss that man more and more each day

Why? Your party has taken his beliefs and pushed them to the absolute extreme. Why go back to a Reagan for some decentralization and states rights when you can take Trumpism and just try to completely wreck the government and other societal institutions altogether? Victory!

Back