• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Deacs at the Hokies - Sautrday 4 pm - ACCN

I think I’m ready to move on from every player that has even been in the same room as Manning.

Yeah, this margin of defeat is pretty tough to defend even for those like me who think the Forbes era doesn't officially start until November 2021. Seems like a combination of the team being mentally checked out and regression to the mean after overachieving earlier in the year.

I pray this virus is under control soon so Forbes and the guys can make a fresh start in the fall without that extra burden on their shoulders. Not that next season will any better - I still feel it will take Forbes several years to get us back in contention.

And one more thing: Thanks, Ron. I hope every campus sign with your name on it is vandalized daily for eternity.

Manning is not responsible for this shit. It ain't like the guys who didn't play for him play particularly well either.

I don't see much talent on the court, but I also don't see much coaching on the bench. As I said after we shit the bed against Clemson, the only reason to be optimistic about Forbes is what he did as a coach at other places. He hasn't done a ton since he got here- an extremely shitty team in an extremely shitty ACC. Recruiting that looks like an average Manning class. Maybe he will bring a ton of good transfers in the off-season and the team will look better next year. But this season has somehow been worse than the expectations from the board.

Where are all the dumb fucking posts I’ve been reading all year about how “Manning would have lost by 20+” after every loss?

he would've lost all those early games by 20+. He would've lost all these games by the same amount or more.

Manning was horrible. Forbes has a legit pedigree, but you can't win unless you recruit winners. We've got guys on our team that are C league intramural kids.

We made 10 3s and scored 46 points. 5 fgs inside the arc (2 dubose/1 williamson/1 whitt/1 adams).

Yes, our forwards and centers combined to make 0 FGs inside of the arc for an entire game.

Manning is not responsible for this shit. It ain't like the guys who didn't play for him play particularly well either.

I don't see much talent on the court, but I also don't see much coaching on the bench. As I said after we shit the bed against Clemson, the only reason to be optimistic about Forbes is what he did as a coach at other places. He hasn't done a ton since he got here- an extremely shitty team in an extremely shitty ACC. Recruiting that looks like an average Manning class. Maybe he will bring a ton of good transfers in the off-season and the team will look better next year. But this season has somehow been worse than the expectations from the board.

Completely agree. WF isn’t good because of the lack of talent left behind. That’s on Manning. This is a broken team. That’s on Forbes. Losing by 20+ in four consecutive games shows that Forbes has lost the team or the team has lost Forbes. Both are on the coach.

I agree that we are playing like ass, but to me, this team has talent (not top of ACC talent, but we are not light-years behind the Tech's State, ND, etc)

Where is all of this talent??? Note - this does not absolve Forbes for clearly losing this team.

Our only reliable scorer in the post has questionable hands and can't make a layup.

Out best post defender is a 6'3 shooting guard grad transfer from Houston Baptist.

One of our team leaders (Mucius) can't guard his shadow and our starting PG should still be in high school.

The bigs at BC (Mitchell and Felder) would get all the minutes they wanted here. Hell, their guards (Heath, Tabbs, and Kelly) would get major minutes on this team as well.

So where is the talent???

Didn't "get" to watch today. Turns out I'm glad. I had time to ask Siri:

"Hey Siri, what's the final score of Wake Forest vs Virginia Tech today?"

Siri voice - "Wake Forest was subjugated to Virginia Tech by a score of 84-46"
sub·ju·gate
/ˈsəbjəˌɡāt/

verb
past tense: subjugated; past participle: subjugated
bring under domination or control, especially by conquest.

sounds about right.

We have the worst talent in the ACC if every team had its full lineup and it isn't particularly close. Again we were bad last year and the best 3 offensive options from that team transferred or graduated and were replaced by a hodge podge of role players.

A month ago we lost to VT by 4. Today we lost by 38 and it wasn’t even that close. That isn’t just different defensive philosophies by the opposition.

not sure what you're looking for here, but we tried hard a month ago, and we hardly tried today

The drop off since the FSU game continues to get worse. The Deacons started this game looking beat and their effort proved it.

This team has no inside game and it gets worse when Massoud or Mucius play center for 17 minutes.

I'll give the team the benefit of the doubt and accept that covid emptied the tank earlier than normal. The lack of disciplined execution offensively and defensively has made matters worse.

he would've lost all those early games by 20+. He would've lost all these games by the same amount or more.

Manning was horrible. Forbes has a legit pedigree, but you can't win unless you recruit winners. We've got guys on our team that are C league intramural kids.

Maybe. But WGAF? A loss is a loss. No moral victories.

Forbes is WAY better than Manning, but we blow this year.

We are a complexly different team, in a terrible way, than we were a month ago. Very disappointed how the guys have mailed it in. I’m all in on Forbes but the talent on this team has stayed the same, but the outcome is WAYYY different.

Teams with no talent lose. WF lacks talent. So, does Longwood.

Longwood played at VT and lost, but they competed. WF didn’t compete. Maybe it doesn’t matter as a loss is a loss. Don’t feel that way. Even if we suck, we shouldn’t quit.

FWIW, BC played Notre Dame today with 5 scholarship players. All of whom are worse than ND’s 11 scholarship players and BC won in OT.

I understand that WF is operating at a talent deficit, but we are now operating at an effort deficit. Not ok.

Yes. Whitt is already starting. Hildreth is playing well in the BBL against grown men. Don’t know much about what McCray is doing but he’s clearly better than much of our current team. Three top 125 players.

Yes. Whitt is already starting. Hildreth is playing well in the BBL against grown men. Don’t know much about what McCray is doing but he’s clearly better than much of our current team. Three top 125 players.

What what I can gather from highlights, McCray is a lefty, finishes well with both hands, and is very athletic.

What what I can gather from highlights, McCray is a lefty, finishes well with both hands, and is very athletic.

The weird thing about McCray is he seems to dribble righty then shoot Js lefty.

Besides the regression, the other aspect is Forbes has made virtually no changes or adaptations. If nothing else, he can see who can learn and improve. There's no excuse not to try things out.

not sure what you're looking for here, but we tried hard a month ago, and we hardly tried today

I guess I’m just trying to figure out how we imploded so quickly and severely. I think Forbes is a good coach, but it’s hard to understand how a good coach could completely lose a team like this.

I agree with others that it’s an effort issue. Maybe covid and everything that goes with it just compounds things when a team starts to fall struggle. Maybe Forbes doesn’t want to lay into them too much regarding effort because he’s playing the long game and thinking about keeping a nucleus together going forward

Also in very good position for Podziemski. Once the season is over we will immediately start to hear transfer names as well. Recruiting has exceed my expectations for year 1.

Back