• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report: Deacs at the Hokies - Sautrday 4 pm - ACCN

At some point I need to be able to watch a Deacon basketball game with my kids and have it be competitive and enjoyable. The window is eventually going to close and those opportunities for making fun memories will be gone.

This. I have a 14, 12, and 10 year old and they don’t care about basketball at all. I’ve taken them to a few games over the last decade, but I feel the play and atmosphere turned them off more - they were just bored. My oldest used to beg to stay up when he was 3 and he’d tie his wake blanket around his neck like a cape. He’d run and jump around the room flying and telling us, “I’m bring Jeff Teague!”

I miss that.

Teams with no talent lose. WF lacks talent. So, does Longwood.

Longwood played at VT and lost, but they competed. WF didn’t compete. Maybe it doesn’t matter as a loss is a loss. Don’t feel that way. Even if we suck, we shouldn’t quit.

FWIW, BC played Notre Dame today with 5 scholarship players. All of whom are worse than ND’s 11 scholarship players and BC won in OT.

I understand that WF is operating at a talent deficit, but we are now operating at an effort deficit. Not ok.

Agree

Also in very good position for Podziemski. Once the season is over we will immediately start to hear transfer names as well. Recruiting has exceed my expectations for year 1.

Based on what other than we made his final 5?

The biggest change over the past few games is Whitt has stopped penetrating. Until the F$U game, Williamson and Neath were driving and dishing that created open threes. Over the past four games, we have have just been swinging the ball around the outside which is easy to guard.

Add to this, we rarely hit anyone on a cut to the basket or have people making scoring cuts. This makes us easier to defend.

The coach should have seen these problems and made adjustments.

The biggest change over the past few games is Whitt has stopped penetrating. Until the F$U game, Williamson and Neath were driving and dishing that created open threes. Over the past four games, we have have just been swinging the ball around the outside which is easy to guard.

Add to this, we rarely hit anyone on a cut to the basket or have people making scoring cuts. This makes us easier to defend.

The coach should have seen these problems and made adjustments.

Of course, corch. It's so simple!

Yeah some of the Forbes WTF reactions are pretty understandable - does seem like we're a little snakebitten right now. Sure, a lot of it is because we've been playing with less defensive intensity, but Aluma missed his last 7 threes across two games, then he shoots 100% on 5 threes against us, his most ever? Dude didn't hit even one 3 in his first 2 years, none in 9 of their 13 ACC games this year. I don't care how badly we're covering their guys - their starters shot 75% from deep. It's like Hurt shooting almost 80% against us over 2 games - we don't seem to be catching teams on off nights recently. Even in the near-win at FSU they shot 50% from deep.

And then we're doing the reverse, with Massoud falling apart, DuBose hitting what looks like a post-COVID wall with 3 buckets in the past 2 games and no threes. Jalen hasn't scored in 2 games, Ody averaged 2 points in 2 games... You can tell during his presser that Forbes has a "our level of sucking makes no sense, our opponents have been putting up crazy numbers on us, your guess is as good as mine" kind of vibe going. So we're awful instead of just bad. I kinda hope Forbes doesn't go nuts dwelling on why that is. Focus on building the program, practices, conditioning, recruiting, and his metrics. Get pissed when we're trying to make the leap from good to really good in a couple years.

Yeah some of the Forbes WTF reactions are pretty understandable - does seem like we're a little snakebitten right now. Sure, a lot of it is because we've been playing with less defensive intensity, but Aluma missed his last 7 threes across two games, then he shoots 100% on 5 threes against us, his most ever? Dude didn't hit even one 3 in his first 2 years, none in 9 of their 13 ACC games this year. I don't care how badly we're covering their guys - their starters shot 75% from deep. It's like Hurt shooting almost 80% against us over 2 games - we don't seem to be catching teams on off nights recently. Even in the near-win at FSU they shot 50% from deep.

And then we're doing the reverse, with Massoud falling apart, DuBose hitting what looks like a post-COVID wall with 3 buckets in the past 2 games and no threes. Jalen hasn't scored in 2 games, Ody averaged 2 points in 2 games... You can tell during his presser that Forbes has a "our level of sucking makes no sense, our opponents have been putting up crazy numbers on us, your guess is as good as mine" kind of vibe going. So we're awful instead of just bad. I kinda hope Forbes doesn't go nuts dwelling on why that is. Focus on building the program, practices, conditioning, recruiting, and his metrics. Get pissed when we're trying to make the leap from good to really good in a couple years.

I love it when posts make sense. Rare around here. Especially lately.

Completely agree. Well said.

Based on what other than we made his final 5?

If Illinois lands Nimari Burnett, I would feel pretty comfortable in it being down to Wake/Kentucky. Kentucky still has their priority target undecided in Trevor Keels. Wake is in good shape with Podz.

Spot. Fucking. On.

Yall have gotta be smarter than the morons on the Facebook pages and realize how hard that December pause has caught up with this team.

oh shit wish I'd seen this before the presser I would've asked!

(oh God please don't take this seriously)

Va Tech just had a long COVID stop. Lots of other teams have had long COVID stops too. Virginia Tech didn’t need to use the “rusty” excuse after their pause. Two months after the pause, it’s “legs” not rustiness.

This is all lipstick on pig shit. These players blow and this team sucks. Forbes needs completely new players as quickly as possible. The Manning taint will not easily dissipate unfortunately.

I mean, they lost by almost 20 to Ga Tech after their return and their starters shot 25% from 3 versus the 75% they just shot against us.

Covid would have been a valid excuse in the first few games back, but this is a long way down the road.

Agree with all of this (especially the remedy), but with the caveat that other teams shooting well against us has a lot to do with our giving them wide open looks and doing nothing to make them uncomfortable. It’s not just bad luck.

IMHO, people need to stop criticizing Forbes He was dealt a losing hand(roster of non ACC level players and the two best from last year leaving). Kind of hard to criticize his rotation when he looks at the bench and sees guys even worse than those on the court. Basically this is a throw away year(thank goodness) with Covid etc. Any true evaluation can only start at the earliest to begin to see the results of recruiting. Whitt will have a rear in the weight room and hopefully can continue to develop. I didn't include Mucius because he's been here 3 years, is inconsistent on offense and terrible on defense: remember he was supposed to be our best returning player and a team leader. Those type of guys should be the ones exhorting the effort as much as the coach, hell Forbes can't go on the court and do it. I really hope he woks hard and can play his senior year delivering the promise we had in him. I agree with most everyone that we need a healthy influx of talent and trhe remaining guys could play their roles and supplement. As I said next year we can begin a true evaluation of Coach Forbes. Obviously I could be wrong but I think we have a winner.

Covid would have been a valid excuse in the first few games back, but this is a long way down the road.

And if it's not what you think everybody else is wrong. Now there's some snarky for ya.

Back