• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Wake Forest Basketball - '21-22 Roster Construction

Double post due to boards wonkiness.

I am a little surprised about Opkomo. I thought it was generally assumed he would be a multi-year process. He had some upside and we need a presence down low on D.

A little surprised by this. Forbes better be confident he can sign two bigs for next year or next year could be worse than this year.

we need bigger bigs, but i think the idea that losing opkomo might make a difference seems far fetched.

Why are people surprised that a 6'10" guy who averaged 1 and 2 might be leaving?

we need bigger bigs, but i think the idea that losing opkomo might make a difference seems far fetched.

I don't think many saw him as a "difference maker" in 21-22. What I and others saw was a raw bug guy who had some good moments. He seemed a good candidate for big man development. Spot minutes and development for two years, then contributor in his junior and senior years. Next year, emergency, five fouls big guy.

A 6'6 guy playing down low in Bucknell's conference is a world of difference than being a 6'6 guy playing down low in the ACC.

If he comes, I hope he's a stud, but let's not be LOWF pinning hopes on guys who haven't proven anything against good comp.

We need to start reaching higher. Nothing less than being ranked consistently should be accepted.

I would take not being "rank consistently" as progress but you accept what you can.

I prefer LaRavia to Meeks. The Deacs need size and 6'9"/230 is larger than 6'6'/220. Ai'Diese Toney is more like it in the 6'6" range. It's still early. Good options will emerge over the next month.

Plus skill set dictates they will rarely see the floor together except maybe against UNC.

I am with the assumption we target 2 4/5s for the 3 now expected slots so it won't be 2 guys

I don’t think we can assume we will get two bigs.

It's a shame Oak Hill's Steve Smith is in his mid-60s or I'd like to have him as a recruiter. He has all the connections.

I wonder why no P6 ever brought him in as an assistant. Unless he gets to keep the money Nike gives Oak Hill. his salary is nowhere near what top assistants make and he could have become a HC.

I seem to recall he had a parent pass away a some point in the past 9 months. Perhaps he simply wants to play closer to his family.

A little disappointed about losing Okpomo . . . good size and thought he was decent for a freshman.

Back