• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

I don’t see why you don’t think we have ACC level talent. I think a good measure of that is either the schools we beat out for players or their college accomplishments.

Whitt- offered by most of the ACC plus a ton of other P6 programs

Hildreth- picked us over 4 other P6 finalists.

Taylor- 15 P6 offers

McCray- Florida was other finalist. Committed very early or many others would have come.

Laravia- all MVC. Wanted by tons of P6 schools.

Walton- starter in PAC 12

Monsanto- SoCon rookie of year. All 6 transfer finalists were P6.

Mucius- 11 P6 offers out of HS

That’s 8 guys that were pursued heavily by many other high major schools. Only Williamson, Ody, and Tariq were lightly recruited. Williamson has definitely proven he is an ACC talent. I think Ody has as well. Not enough game action to evaluate Tariq.

Bottom line is I don’t think there is any objective measurement by which this roster would be deemed “not ACC level”. This is a very solid roster.

Just the fact that we’re are debating if we are a bubble team of not is light year improvement from the last two clowns.

The ACC was trash this year, most of these guys are better than the average ACC player. So really it's a complement.

Cam highlights from today's 85-75 win over Worchester.

13 pts (3-8 fg, 7-8 ft), 3 reb, 3 ast, 2 to in 22 min off the bench
https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/BBL/1798229/bs.html

Minutes projection. I'm going to cheat a little bit and group Hildreth, McCray, and Taylor (HMT) together. They all have good size and all seem like they play the 2/3. I'm pretty sure all of them will be mercurial. It's quite likely one doesn't play much or each of their minutes vary greatly from game to game. I group Ody, Tariq, and Dallas as well but I think their minutes will be pretty consistent with Ody and Dallas playing 15-18 min a game and Tariq playing the rest.

Obviously this doesn't account for additional transfers.

PG - Whitt (28), Williamson (12)
SG - Williamson (20), HMT (20)
SF - Monsanto (28), Mucius (12)
PF - LaRavia (28), Mucius (12)
C - OTD (35), Lavaria (5)

Some notes:

I think the close out lineup will be Whitt, Williamson, Monsanto, Mucius, and LaRavia. The small ball lineup would include HMT at the 1-3. These lineup could see anywhere between 0-10 minutes depending on the opponent and the development of HMT.

Williamson started all but one game last season. Mucius started every game last season. I have Williamson starting this year because he's a capable ballhandler. I hope Hildreth, McCray, or Taylor could take over as a secondary ballhandler or backup PG as well. I think Mucius will be the first forward off the bench. I don't see anybody else filling in at the 4. I could see Forbes eventually going big and starting Whitt, Monsanto, Mucius, LaRavia, and Ody if Monsanto can be a secondary ballhandler.

Last edited:
Cam highlights from today's 85-75 win over Worchester.

13 pts (3-8 fg, 7-8 ft), 3 reb, 3 ast, 2 to in 22 min off the bench
https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/BBL/1798229/bs.html

Yes, in both regards. Looking forward to seeing him, but don’t impose POY expectations on him. Yet...

I think Cam has a high ceiling with his size, handles, and creativity, but he'll have a lot of work to do.

I'm excited about the size on the team overall. Only one player shorter than 6-4.

Minutes projection. I'm going to cheat a little bit and group Hildreth, McCray, and Taylor (HMT) together. They all have good size and all seem like they play the 2/3. I'm pretty sure all of them will be mercurial. It's quite likely one doesn't play much or each of their minutes vary greatly from game to game. I group Ody, Tariq, and Dallas as well but I think their minutes will be pretty consistent with Ody and Dallas playing 15-18 min a game and Tariq playing the rest.

Some notes:

I think the close out lineup will be Whitt, Williamson, Monsanto, Mucius, and LaRavia. The small ball lineup would include HMT at the 1-3. These lineup could see anywhere between 0-10 minutes depending on the opponent and the development of HMT.

Williamson started all but one game last season. Mucius started every game last season. I have Williamson starting this year because he's a capable ballhandler. I hope Hildreth, McCray, or Taylor could take over as a secondary ballhandler or backup PG as well. I think Mucius will be the first forward off the bench. I don't see anybody else filling in at the 4. I could see Forbes eventually going big and starting Whitt, Monsanto, Mucius, LaRavia, and Ody if Monsanto can be a secondary ballhandler.

Not expecting McRay to contribute much this year?

Some notes:

Solid minutes projection. Going to be interesting to see whether Monsanto or Mucius starts at the 3. I'll take Mucius.

Also going to be interesting to see how much the freshman contribute. Hope we can retain all of them in the off-season because it is likely one won't play much.

Last edited:
I think Cam has a high ceiling with his size, handles, and creativity, but he'll have a lot of work to do.

I'm excited about the size on the team overall. Only one player shorter than 6-4.

Agreed on Cam. Would you consider the BBL equal to, better or worse than AAU ball?

Robby Mac is also a wildcard, as is Taylor. Either of those guys could step in and be contributors, or could take a but to get adjusted. I've had McCray pinned as a stud since he committed. Taylor also had 16 P6 offers for a reason.

A lot of unknowns and a lot to get excited about.

Agreed on Cam. Would you consider the BBL equal to, better or worse than AAU ball?

Robby Mac is also a wildcard, as is Taylor. Either of those guys could step in and be contributors, or could take a but to get adjusted. I've had McCray pinned as a stud since he committed. Taylor also had 16 P6 offers for a reason.

A lot of unknowns and a lot to get excited about.

That's a very good way to put it.

I think BBL players have a lot more experience (obviously), basketball IQ, and physical maturity whereas as AAU has more elite athleticism. Cam will have to get used to 7-footers and guys who can jump out of the gym. But he'll probably have a better sense of the overall game.

Part of my point is there's nothing to elaborate on. We know that much is unknown. I don't know enough about him and Taylor except I know they won't be ready immediately. And Forbes is building a team that won't require HMT to be major contributors.

Last edited:
That's a very good way to put it.

I think BBL players have a lot more experience (obviously), basketball IQ, and physical maturity whereas as AAU has more elite athleticism. Cam will have to get used to 7-footers and guys who can jump out of the gym. But he'll probably have a better sense of the overall game.

Good points.

Yeah. Like I said a few days ago, I'd love to see BSD, Conor, or Les interview the Scorchers coaches about Cam's experience and development. I think it would be enlightening. BBL coaches are familiar with NCAA basketball from scouting.

Could he just end up at Texas with Beard?

Interesting that his 3 point shooting declined so much when he jumped up in competition. I mean, it’s natural that he had some adjusting to the better comp, but he was at 42%. Not positive what it’s at now, but certain it’s <30%

Back