• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

I like my Uncle too, but selecting basketball programs on whatever school is desperate enough to hire my Uncle seems like a flawed selection process.

What is his uncle going to do next year?

Convince his nephew to play hoop in Singapore?

I like my Uncle too, but selecting basketball programs on whatever school is desperate enough to hire my Uncle seems like a flawed selection process.

What is his uncle going to do next year?

Convince his nephew to play hoop in Singapore?

Seems flawed for the schools, too. Hiring people that probably can't really help you outside of gaining a player doesn't seem like a sustainable model. Especially for a 1-year guy.

RJ is my dude, of course, but his lack of love for Phlandrous was odd. The dude is definitely a high major player

RJ is my dude, of course, but his lack of love for Phlandrous was odd. The dude is definitely a high major player

He probably heard the RJ news and took us off his list. No more need to come here to prove him wrong. Because somewhere I’ve heard it said, players read the boards

Love all the projections. Everyone has Whitt playing 25+ minutes; I assume they all think he will get stronger. That's going to have to be true because the fact of the matter is he could not adequately guard his man or keep him from the basket. I hope that is the case. His minutes will probably be earned on the defensive end rather than the offense portion of his game.

Love all the projections. Everyone has Whitt playing 25+ minutes; I assume they all think he will get stronger. That's going to have to be true because the fact of the matter is he could not adequately guard his man or keep him from the basket. I hope that is the case. His minutes will probably be earned on the defensive end rather than the offense portion of his game.

Whitt getting stronger is the thing I doubt the least about next season. In fact, I sure that he's already significantly stronger than when the season ended. He was a scrawny high school kid who didn't know he would actually be playing college basketball last year until the week of Christmas in the middle of Covid. He had zero time to prepare like the typical college freshman does.

Over WF's last 10 games, Whitt averaged 25 minutes a game, including 32 in the season finale against ND. So, Whitt playing 25 minutes a game is a direction WF was heading in when Carter was playing in essentially his "redshirt" year.

Whitt does need to get stronger, and Forbes acknowledged that. Clearly, going to be an area of emphasis in the off-season. FWIW, strength and conditioning gains for an 18 year-old male who works at it is one of the few things that is a given in sports. Whitt will be stronger and a better defender next year.

Yep. Add to all that that we don’t have anyone else to play those PG minutes.

McCray is listed as a combo guard. He might have the skills to back up Whitt at the PG. Williamson can play point behind Whitt. Hildreth can pass and penetrate, he might be an option. The 5 out offense places a premium on team passing skills. The critical aspect was advancing the ball up the court under defensive pressure. That wasn't resolved until Ian returned to provide a third ballhandler. If Taylor has a handle, Forbes has five players to handle pressure. The fact that he has not targeted a transfer to play guard might indicate he believes in the players he has already. If not, there are scholarships available to secure the position.

McCray is listed as a combo guard. He might have the skills to back up Whitt at the PG. Williamson can play point behind Whitt. Hildreth can pass and penetrate, he might be an option. The 5 out offense places a premium on team passing skills. The critical aspect was advancing the ball up the court under defensive pressure. That wasn't resolved until Ian returned to provide a third ballhandler. If Taylor has a handle, Forbes has five players to handle pressure. The fact that he has not targeted a transfer to play guard might indicate he believes in the players he has already. If not, there are scholarships available to secure the position.

I don't like to count on true freshmen to handle pressure. Three guys who can handle are what you would want to have. Whitt and Davien should be two. Need to find that third guy.

Looks like we are collecting a bunch of guys that can dribble drive and create. We’re going to be hard to guard once everyone gets used to playing together. I saw some improvement from Whitt the last few games. I think he can play some D, just has to learn to do it for longer stretches. I’m getting p7mped for some upsets!

I think people have different things in mind when they think bubble team too.

Yeah agreed. Bubble team is 16-18 wins IMO, while being competitive in 90%+ games and not laying eggs against inferior competition.

So a season of 16-15 with no bad losses but no real signature wins would be a bubble team I think

Last edited:
Whitt getting stronger is the thing I doubt the least about next season. In fact, I sure that he's already significantly stronger than when the season ended. He was a scrawny high school kid who didn't know he would actually be playing college basketball last year until the week of Christmas in the middle of Covid. He had zero time to prepare like the typical college freshman does.

Yeah. All of this goes overlooked by some. Very few players could've performed at a high level under those circumstances.

Whitt will be able to hold his own next season.

Back