• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

The writing is on the wall for Neath, Wilkins and Okpomo, i bet they transfer out. That would leave 4 open spots and i bet Forbes fill those 4 spots with transfers.
Neath and Wilkins I can almost guarantee are gone, Okpomo is not one of the guys I'm hearing is expected to be ushered out. Every program has a project big, and many of them pan out. Bigs are scarce and keeping a guy with the size and relative mobility of Okpomo and developing his skills could be huge. Massoud I am like 75% sure is gone. Although I love the way he plays I think Quadry may be out as well, McCray has a pretty similar game and is expected to be much better. If we can upgrade at the wing and bring in a solid transfer big we should be in the 8th through 10th range in the conference next year you would think. Having slashers like McCray and Hildreth to open up the perimeter will be fun, and as we saw tonight Carter is going to be silly good by the time he's done here.

Neath and Wilkins I can almost guarantee are gone, Okpomo is not one of the guys I'm hearing is expected to be ushered out. Every program has a project big, and many of them pan out. Bigs are scarce and keeping a guy with the size and relative mobility of Okpomo and developing his skills could be huge. Massoud I am like 75% sure is gone. Although I love the way he plays I think Quadry may be out as well, McCray has a pretty similar game and is expected to be much better. If we can upgrade at the wing and bring in a solid transfer big we should be in the 8th through 10th range in the conference next year you would think. Having slashers like McCray and Hildreth to open up the perimeter will be fun, and as we saw tonight Carter is going to be silly good by the time he's done here.

What makes you say that on Massoud? Just your speculation, or things you've heard?

I still think he can be a valuable piece, given his height and stroke. Give him a real offseason and I think he'll come back much improved. We talk all of the time about developing players over 4 years... Massoud seems like a good example of a player you'd like to keep in the fold for his JR & SR years.

I'm all for upgrading the roster, but I absolutely think you need role players and depth to be a good team... Developing 4-year players like Mucius & Massoud is a big part of that.

If this were a month ago, I'd agree on Adams. However, Forbes seemed to be showing him some love over the past few weeks and his play seemed to be rewarding that decision. Assuming Forbes wants him to stay, that seems like a scenario where you would expect the player to stay.

The sooner that we remove the Manning stank from the roster, the better.

Losers lose. :(

Adams was a Manning recruit who was released. Forbes re-recruited him and he recommitted to Wake/Forbes. He did some good things in the minutes he's gotten at the end of the season. At least he can dunk. He has played D with energy amd looked like he wanted to be doing it. IMHO, Forbes should want him around.

What makes you say that on Massoud? Just your speculation, or things you've heard?

I still think he can be a valuable piece, given his height and stroke. Give him a real offseason and I think he'll come back much improved. We talk all of the time about developing players over 4 years... Massoud seems like a good example of a player you'd like to keep in the fold for his JR & SR years.

I'm all for upgrading the roster, but I absolutely think you need role players and depth to be a good team... Developing 4-year players like Mucius & Massoud is a big part of that.

Massoud got 31 minutes last night. His minutes have depended on match-ups, but it’s pretty clear Forbes has some confidence in him. He may enter the portal, but my gut would say that if he does, it’s his decision, not Forbes forcing him out.

Wonder how soon we'll hear that Neath is entering the portal... Have to believe he'll be the first and I don't expect him to waste much time doing so.

Massoud shot .336 from deep and .341 from the field. That’s horrible for a guy whose best as a spot up shooter.

Massoud needs to be the type of guy who played the role that Jonah Antonio played this season.

On a good team Massoud gets 10 to 15 minutes per game as an offensive spark off the bench. He needs to be an 8th or 9th man on a good team.

And the only way he can play that role effectively is to better his shot selection and learn which games he can be effective versus which games aren't his.

Antonio started much of the season.

Antonio started much of the season.

Right but what I'm saying is Antonio was more of an offensive spark than a player who should be starting in the ACC on a halfway decent team. Maybe Antonio was a bad example. the point stands that Masood should be in 8th or 9th man to give a solid minutes towards the end of our bench. he could also make a huge leap in the off season and every one of us would happily eat crow

I'm doing voice dictation so there's probably a lot of spelling and grammatical errors

This is such a lame take. Is Chaundee Brown (who is a key piece to #1 seed this year) a loser? Is Jon Collins a loser? If Ayo had picked WF over Illinois, would he be loser? Is Ayo a loser for even considering WF under Manning over other schools?

These are just kids that chose WF under a bad coach. That doesn't make them losers or individuals with a "stank". Yes, Manning was bad coach. Unfair to try to taint players because of a recruiting decision made when a kid was 18. Crush Manning and Wellman, but the guilt by association on the players is so weak.

Jonah started 10 of 22 games and played ~50% of game minutes.

Massoud is a skilled shooter with decent height. If he improved his shot selection, he would be a valuable piece. Would I pencil him in as a starter next year? Probably not... But definitely could be a rotation guy on a decent team.

He has a lot of things to work on, of course... But so does most of the roster.

I think that Massoud will be a beneficiary of improved guard play... With guys like Whitt, McCray, and Hildreth driving to the basket, he should get a lot more of those spot up 3s that he can make with consistency (most nights).

He seems like a lightning rod for criticism based on poor/inconsisent play and being a Manning holdover. And I get it... He's been tough to watch at times. He's not strong enough to guard bigs or quick enough to guard wings. But he's not a guy I'd push out. As others have said, it's easy to talk about getting rid of players but you need to be able to bring in better talent to replace it. Even with 1000+ transfers this year, it is no guarantee to bring in the talent you desire. There will be competition for every decent transfer.

Basically the last ten year swoon has been leading up to this moment. Forbes comes in, has to hold serve and play the hand he’s dealt with Covid and a roster in flux. The goal was to survive it and move on, and that’s what he did.

But now the program is completely his. He can control who comes in and how well they develop. Failure is not an option. We absolutely have to get some momentum going in a new direction.

There’s a lot hanging in the balance but I’m definitely excited.

Based on what I’ve heard Massoud is one of the guys Forbes sat down to talk about minutes going forward. Doesn’t mean that’s exactly what was said or that he will definitely be in the portal, but a conversation was had. I think Forbes trusts himself to replace players that aren’t good enough with players that are rather than holding on to what he has even if it’s not good enough.

Based on what I’ve heard Massoud is one of the guys Forbes sat down to talk about minutes going forward. Doesn’t mean that’s exactly what was said or that he will definitely be in the portal, but a conversation was had. I think Forbes trusts himself to replace players that aren’t good enough with players that are rather than holding on to what he has even if it’s not good enough.

"talk about minutes going forward". That's a really broad topic.

Makes sense. I'd assume it was more about what he needs to improve upon in order to continue seeing the minutes he has seen this season.

Because his minutes have been plentiful, especially the last few games. Only 1 game the entire season where he didn't play more than 13 minutes (9 vs. FSU).

Agree that Forbes is confident he can bring in guys that fit with his style... But Massoud's minutes make it hard to believe he is in any kind of doghouse.

Back