• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

I was critical of Mucius this year, but I can’t imagine him not starting. He should benefit tremendously from the increase in size around him, and would be a load playing the 3.

Yeah I don't understand why people keep sticking Mucius in the 4 spot. He's a prototypical 3, struggled in every minute he played at the 4 last year. We had no PF on the roster, tried jamming Massoud into the role since he was slow as molasses on defense, tried plenty of minutes with nobody at 4, tried Wilkins sometimes. We can play positionless on offense but someone has to defend the other team's 4 and 5.

If the chips do fall our way with the two top targets, I'd much prefer a 15/22/3 split at 5 for Walton/Ody/Tariq, split the 4 between LaRavia and McKoy, split the 3 between Mucius and Monsanto, then at the guard spots you run Whitt/Daivian/Cam/McCray/Taylor. My guess is lighter minutes for McCray and Taylor, but Cam can play some 3, McCray maybe some point. There are just enough minutes for everyone I'd think.

And honestly that seems like a pretty complete team, and with Forbes pulling the strings could absolutely be a tournament team. Just a huge influx of talent compared to what exited.

Walton's tapes are more impressive than his stats. He shows skills on offense and defense and appears to play with patience and composure. Combine that with his size and length and Wake has someone to counter the large centers that inhabit the ACC. He offers that obstacle to Ody and Tariq in practice as well. Given his minutes at Colorado, he should be willing and able to provide 15-20 quality minutes at the five with a positive attitude. He fills a much needed role for next year's team.

Is McKoy interested in Wake? Haven't heard anything about his lists of schools but y'all talk like its a real possibility.

Is McKoy interested in Wake? Haven't heard anything about his lists of schools but y'all talk like its a real possibility.
Yes. Wake is a very realistic option for him. There is a good percentage chance that he remains within the ACC (Clemson and UNC are both involved to varying extents, with a few others at least having explored his fit).

WFU Hoops: '21-22 Roster Construction - Adding LaRavia, Taylor, & Walton

Yeah I don't understand why people keep sticking Mucius in the 4 spot. He's a prototypical 3, struggled in every minute he played at the 4 last year. We had no PF on the roster, tried jamming Massoud into the role since he was slow as molasses on defense, tried plenty of minutes with nobody at 4, tried Wilkins sometimes. We can play positionless on offense but someone has to defend the other team's 4 and 5.

If the chips do fall our way with the two top targets, I'd much prefer a 15/22/3 split at 5 for Walton/Ody/Tariq, split the 4 between LaRavia and McKoy, split the 3 between Mucius and Monsanto, then at the guard spots you run Whitt/Daivian/Cam/McCray/Taylor. My guess is lighter minutes for McCray and Taylor, but Cam can play some 3, McCray maybe some point. There are just enough minutes for everyone I'd think.

And honestly that seems like a pretty complete team, and with Forbes pulling the strings could absolutely be a tournament team. Just a huge influx of talent compared to what exited.

We don't have McKoy. That's why. Sure if we get another PF, Mucius will play more at SF, but we don't have that other PF.

It’s quite possible Mucius will be a better player on a more talented team but I see him as an energy guy off the bench at the 4 with this roster especially if we get Monsanto.

We have a lot of guys who can play in 3 guard lineups. I just don’t see how Mucius commands 20+ minutes at SF unless McCray, Hildreth, and Taylor just aren’t ready.

Last edited:
We don't have McKoy. That's why. Sure if we get another PF, Mucius will play more at SF, but we don't have that other PF.

It’s quite possible Mucius will be a better player on a more talented team but I see him as an energy guy off the bench at the 4 with this roster especially if we get Monsanto.

We have a lot of guys who can play in 3 guard lineups. I just don’t see how Mucius commands 20+ minutes at SF unless McCray, Hildreth, and Taylor just aren’t ready.

Top down view: Mucius was #2 in minutes last year and will find his way onto the court for 20-25mpg, regardless of whether that's at the 3 or 4.
Bottoms up view: Tough to do without full roster, but if we land Monsanto & McCoy there would seem to be a lot less minutes at the 3 and 4 (which is a good thing, of course... you want talent).

We've seen with Whitt that Forbes will stick with youth through some shaky play... But I have to wonder if a lot of that was due to the fact that we didn't have a better option at PG. I'm not sure how much Hildreth, McCray, & Taylor will play if they have Williamson, Monsanto, and Mucius in front of them. I mean, they'll see the court... But unless one of them is special, I don't see 20mpg for any of them.

But I obviously have no ideas... My confidence lies in Forbes to allocate minutes to the players/lineups that will win us games.

Your confidence should lie in me to get you a detailed minutes projection.

i think the majority of the talk about the "sf" vs "pf" roles isn't worth much given how the game is played in 2021. i believe i heard / read forbes say that he doesn't even think in those terms, but rather just as point guards, wings and bigs (or something along those lines) and he spends way more thinking about individual players strengths and weaknesses and how they fit together.

i'm more curious if how much we use laravia as the biggest guy in the lineup if we land some of these other guys and end up super deep at wing (thinking similar to bam adebayo for the heat

i think the majority of the talk about the "sf" vs "pf" roles isn't worth much given how the game is played in 2021. i believe i heard / read forbes say that he doesn't even think in those terms, but rather just as point guards, wings and bigs (or something along those lines) and he spends way more thinking about individual players strengths and weaknesses and how they fit together.

i'm more curious if how much we use laravia as the biggest guy in the lineup if we land some of these other guys and end up super deep at wing (thinking similar to bam adebayo for the heat

Right. We have four bigs right now. Ody, Walton, Tariq, and Lavaria.

It’s more likely we will see a PG, 3 wings, and a Ody/Walton/Tariq, a PG, 3 wings, and Lavaria than Ody/Walton/Tariq, Lavaria, and Mucius on the court together.

Also seems like a lot to expect Ingraham and Walton to both make it through an entire season without injury.

Also seems like a lot to expect Ingraham and Walton to both make it through an entire season without injury.

Do we know what the Ingraham situation was? Whether it was an actual injury or Covid related?

Injuries to them make it even more likely Mucius is at the 4.

I like what I see from Walton - his highlights make him look like a modern big, which would be a welcome addition to the team.

I don't really care who we call a 4 or 5. But generally you're going to need to defend two guys over 200 pounds on the floor, and the collective amnesia around here about how incredibly frustrating it was to watch Mucius and Massoud having to try to stop those guys is almost comical. Posters are now recommending lineups with only one big after absolutely destroying the idea of those lineups for the past few years.

Mucius is a lean and lanky SF who can shoot it a little, has a great mid-range game, and doesn't have the size to post up or defend well in the post. Whatever you call that, those are his strengths. I'd argue his overall output was best on the team despite the universal take that it was a disappointing year for him. Natural progression would suggest he's a 12/6 guy next year, we're going to be pretty damn good if we bench him so I guess I hope we have that problem.

LaRavia is a big who grew up small playing as a guard, he can handle, pass, and shoot. With Ody and Walton on the roster my guess is we'll want him as the only big man on the floor exactly 0% of the time.

Back