• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Hell, Ody would average 12 a game if he more any touch around the rim. Whitt and the boys will be getting our big guys layups, dunks and bunnies. We need a guy like Carlton who knows how to finish and run the floor.

Carlton would sleep walk to 7/7 and 1 block per game with high efficiency. He'd be a really solid get and not a deep bench player. Once could argue he would plug in and start at the 5 for us. Don't let us ppg and rpg from last season deter you.

Having said that, he's most likely going to Houston.

If we could pull Monsanto and McKoy this week, then woo boy, look out! Both would excellent additions. Those two would add some serious length and skill at the wing position.

Ody or Tariq can give 7/7.

What makes you think that?

I think him setting up announcement right after they lost in the final 4 seems like it would line up with Houston. Plus, things have been very quiet regarding his recruitment. Hope I'm wrong...I think he'd be a nice addition. I'd love to end this thing with McKoy, Monsanto, Carlton and BPA. That would be a hell of an offseason.

Ody or Tariq can give 7/7.

So then in your mind we're set at the Center position - two guys, both giving us 7/7 for a total of 14/14 out of your center. Pretty damn good. Or are you expecting a 20 ppg / 18 rpg guy who can play 40 minutes, which would translate to a 10/9 guy in 20 minutes. Who is that guy that is currently in the portal and wants to come play for a bottom feeder team vs. going somewhere where he knows he has a legit shot at Sweet 16 or better?

And btw, we have zero idea what Tariq can do - he's played two games in two years for a total of 25 minutes and 18 of those minutes were against one of the absolute worst teams in CBB

So then in your mind we're set at the Center position - two guys, both giving us 7/7 for a total of 14/14 out of your center. Pretty damn good. Or are you expecting a 20 ppg / 18 rpg guy who can play 40 minutes, which would translate to a 10/9 guy in 20 minutes. Who is that guy that is currently in the portal and wants to come play for a bottom feeder team vs. going somewhere where he knows he has a legit shot at Sweet 16 or better?

And btw, we have zero idea what Tariq can do - he's played two games in two years for a total of 25 minutes and 18 of those minutes were against one of the absolute worst teams in CBB

LOWF. We have to get out of that thought process.

I never said we were set. In fact if you paid any attention at all, I've been saying we won't even become mediocre without getting ACC level centers for at least two years now. As long as we have a shot at Aidoo, we shouldn't be taking someone else's scrub.

LOWF. We have to get out of that thought process.

I never said we were set. In fact if you paid any attention at all, I've been saying we won't even become mediocre without getting ACC level centers for at least two years now. As long as we have a shot at Aidoo, we shouldn't be taking someone else's scrub.

Aidoo is almost certainly not coming here. You need to adjust your recruiting gameplan. Carlton would be great for a year.

Yeah, unless Aidoo completely changes course, he just isn't interested in Wake. Could be small school, could be we've sucked for a decade, could be he wants a basketball factory where he doesn't have to go to class, could be he doesn't see himself fitting in our system...But for whatever the reason, Aidoo is not interested in Wake Forest.

He could also be a great student and academics could be zero issues, but I'm speculating.

I'd say the vast majority of top players these days aren't wanting pressure of having to go to class or try in class, given most have their eyes set on the NBA after 1 or 2 years. Most SEC schools offer this for Aidoo.

Aidoo is almost certainly not coming here. You need to adjust your recruiting gameplan. Carlton would be great for a year.

Why would he be "great"? He barely got off the bench for a team that didn't have another good big. A guard led UConn in rebounding with 7.5rpg. If Ody or Tariq improve at all, they will be better than him.

We would still need a big who can play if he chooses Wake.

Why would he be "great"? He barely got off the bench for a team that didn't have another good big. A guard led UConn in rebounding with 7.5rpg. If Ody or Tariq improve at all, they will be better than him.

We would still need a big who can play if he chooses Wake.

We have 4 scholarships left for this year, and Carlton is a one year rental. Worst thing that could happen is he comes in and Ody is better so he just provides depth. If it was as easy as you're making it sound to land star big men we would already have one, but until we can establish the program over the next year or two it will be tough to win in the competitive market for big men.

If you want to engage in a bit of Twitter recruiting speculation, Josh Carlton has an active Twitter account but is not following nor he is followed by any of our coaches. He is following Kellan Sampson from Houston.

Might not mean anything this time, but that seems worth mentioning.

We have 4 scholarships left for this year, and Carlton is a one year rental. Worst thing that could happen is he comes in and Ody is better so he just provides depth. If it was as easy as you're making it sound to land star big men we would already have one, but until we can establish the program over the next year or two it will be tough to win in the competitive market for big men.

We have the most valuable thing for a kid transferring at 4/5- immediate and expansive playing time.

If you recruit from the position, we suck and have to accept whatever we get, we'll always suck.

If you want to engage in a bit of Twitter recruiting speculation, Josh Carlton has an active Twitter account but is not following nor he is followed by any of our coaches. He is following Kellan Sampson from Houston.

Might not mean anything this time, but that seems worth mentioning.

Good find.

We have the most valuable thing for a kid transferring at 4/5- immediate and expansive playing time.

If you recruit from the position, we suck and have to accept whatever we get, we'll always suck.

RJ - you're just waving your arms in the air. Name names rather than being vague i.e. who in the Portal at the given moment do you think we could bring in to play Center that would put up better than 7/7 in 20 minutes? And don't say Aidoo because that looks like it's not happening - if it does terrific, but assume for a second it doesn't - who then are you going after.

BTW, there are over 1000 kids in the portal - EVERYONE has time to offer, including UNC.

BTW #2 - Carlton was not some scrub - for the two years before this one he played over 20 MPG for UConn - not exactly a scrub program

Steve Fucking Forbes is not recruiting from the position of expecting to suck.

@Josh25Carlton just posted his decision to his private instagram account. anyone have access?

RJ - you're just waving your arms in the air. Name names rather than being vague i.e. who in the Portal at the given moment do you think we could bring in to play Center that would put up better than 7/7 in 20 minutes? And don't say Aidoo because that looks like it's not happening - if it does terrific, but assume for a second it doesn't - who then are you going after.

BTW, there are over 1000 kids in the portal - EVERYONE has time to offer, including UNC.

BTW #2 - Carlton was not some scrub - for the two years before this one he played over 20 MPG for UConn - not exactly a scrub program

Let's look at Carlton - From soph year on, his numbers (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4278229/josh-carlton_) have decreased each year. Two years ago he averaged 7.8/6.1. Last was half that. Last year Ody average 7.6/5.1 and was improving. In the BE tourney,Carlton played 11, 4 and 2 minutes on a team that didn't have a good big guy.

If numbers matter why would you think, he would be as good as Ody? Why wouldn't you think he wouldn't continue his regression?

Just because we have a scholarship doesn't mean we have to use it.

Everyone doesn't have major time to offer for every position. It's absurd to say that.

Last edited:
Back