• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

I hadn’t paid much attention to basketball this year for a number of reasons. We had 6 guys transfer out after the season? That seems wild.

None of those guys are good. This is not an issue unique to Wake. There are ~1000 players in the transfer portal and more to come. But Wake’s overall talent level will be higher at the end of the day.

None of those guys are good. This is not an issue unique to Wake. There are ~1000 players in the transfer portal and more to come. But Wake’s overall talent level will be higher at the end of the day.

That's not saying much. How much higher is the question. There is enough talent in the portal, that we should be able to end up with a significantly better roster. When you are where we have been for a decade or so incremental improvement is not going to move the needle. I'm optimistic, but I am also a lifelong WFU fan. So we'll see...

1212 players have entered the portal as the clock turns to midnight after the national championship.

There are about 4000-4500 D1 scholarships available. When you consider how many will graduate, 1212 is likely close to 1/3 of those returning. There have been back-to-back strange seasons due to Covid. Next year, it will be interesting to see how many more will be on the move.

There are about 4000-4500 D1 scholarships available. When you consider how many will graduate, 1212 is likely close to 1/3 of those returning. There have been back-to-back strange seasons due to Covid. Next year, it will be interesting to see how many more will be on the move.

I don't even know- is this new free agent transfer thing permanent? Or is it a one-time thing?

This year is stranger than usual. Nobody is forced to leave because their eligibility is all used up.

Lykes to Arkansas. Didn't expect that outcome, but I haven't been following too closely. I thought he was going to Maryland.

Musselman has this transfer thing figured out. Also landed Toney recently. That is a couple of nice additions to an already strong team.

Yeah Lykes said Maryland was his top school until Fatts Russell committed there. He didn't want to play with another ball dominant guard.

Lykes to Arkansas. Didn't expect that outcome, but I haven't been following too closely. I thought he was going to Maryland.

Musselman has this transfer thing figured out. Also landed Toney recently. That is a couple of nice additions to an already strong team.

Zero academic pressure. Probably getting money. Trash program

Yeah Lykes said Maryland was his top school until Fatts Russell committed there. He didn't want to play with another ball dominant guard.

It was mutual. After Russell committed to Maryland, the Terps weren't going to bring in another senior PG.

Not sure how many people voluntarily leave Miami to go to Fayetteville, Arkansas. Hope it works out for Lykes.

Last edited:
We fired Dino 11 years ago today. What a disaster this has been.

Not because of the decision to fire Dino. Because of the subsequent hiring decisions.

Will grant that Dino was a far better option than his two successors (anyone would've been), but his record as a HC prior to WF was dismal, and he was just fired as a an assistant from L'ville; he's simply unable to run a high level program as Dino's success was due to talent that Skip had recruited (Dino inherited a program with 4 future NBA players).

If there was any thought that Dino Gaudio was well-suited to run a program, he would've had a sniff at other head jobs over the last 11 years. He has not. A pet peeve is the idea that the decision to move on from Dino was a mistake. It was not. The program was headed in the wrong direction. Wellman ruined the program with his two pathetic hires after Dino, but had Dino continued at WF, the program would've been over-matched at the ACC level (again, not saying WF would've been as bad, but WF basketball was not going anywhere with Dino running the program).

Man, what the fuck was Ron Wellman thinking hiring Bz? Fuck that smarmy nutsack! Always and forever.

Not because of the decision to fire Dino. Because of the subsequent hiring decisions.

Will grant that Dino was a far better option than his two successors (anyone would've been), but his record as a HC prior to WF was dismal, and he was just fired as a an assistant from L'ville; he's simply unable to run a high level program as Dino's success was due to talent that Skip had recruited (Dino inherited a program with 4 future NBA players).

If there was any thought that Dino Gaudio was well-suited to run a program, he would've had a sniff at other head jobs over the last 11 years. He has not. A pet peeve is the idea that the decision to move on from Dino was a mistake. It was not. The program was headed in the wrong direction. Wellman ruined the program with his two pathetic hires after Dino, but had Dino continued at WF, the program would've been over-matched at the ACC level (again, not saying WF would've been as bad, but WF basketball was not going anywhere with Dino running the program).

If I'm not mistaken, Wellman stated the reason behind firing Dino was a lack of post-season success. Yeeeeeeeesh

Man, what the fuck was Ron Wellman thinking hiring Bz? Fuck that smarmy nutsack! Always and forever.

Can’t believe that it’s been 11 years since we hired that bag of crap. I remember seeing the hire and thinking we just tapped some guy to be our HC that is never heard of before. And literally looking him up and commenting to my wife that we’d just hired some bum with a losing record at everyone of his previous stops.

Going back to the topic, apparently the Oral Roberts studs Kevin Obanor and Max Abmas are entering the portal.

FWIW, I thought that Obanor was an NBA prospect, but if he enters the portal, everyone will be after a 6-8 225 multi-positional player with his scoring skills. Abmas is a stud as well.

Also, VT just landed 7 foot center Michael Durr who is transferring from S. Florida.

Kansas just picked up Joseph Yesufu from Drake. Yesufu was huge in Drake's late season run.

Back