• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Ah thank you RJ. This is the best highlight film out for Walton. Don't think I have seen it posted here yet.

Still won't work for me. Oh well

Last edited:
Lengthy lineup

Whitt
Monsanto
Mucius
LaRavia
Walton

Sub a fresh 5 of

DW
McCray
Hildreth/Taylor
McKoy
Ody/Tariq

We could roll out some fun lineups next season. Gotta close the deal on Monsanto and McKoy and then take BPA

Headline: Seven-footer Walton Leaves "Conference of Champions" for the ACC

Nice highlight package.

I was critical of Mucius this year, but I can’t imagine him not starting. He should benefit tremendously from the increase in size around him, and would be a load playing the 3.

Who is playing the 4 behind Lavaria? We've got plenty of guards. The only other 3/4 or true 4 right now is Lavaria. Maybe Tariq is a backup 4 but I don't think that makes us a better team. Here's the rotation as I see it right now:

PG: Whitt
SG: Williamson, McCray
SF: Taylor, Hildreth
PF: Lavaria, Mucius
C: Ody, Walton, Tariq

If we get Monsanto and McKoy then we are a bubble team.

These are the vibes I'm talking about.

Any hold-up with getting Monsanto approved for the academic side of a transfer does not exist (anymore).

Whitt spending his "high school senior season" of basketball at Wake will pay huge dividends in the fall. He has seen good college basketball up close and in his face. He knows what to work on over the summer. He made some major improvement from January to March. Look for another big leap by next fall.

Similarly, Hildreth will be that much better having spent his "high school senior season" in the BBL. From the clips, it appears that the BBL is at least as good as average P6 college teams. And, he has some flair for the dramatic that should make Wake BB much more fun to watch than it has been for a long, long time.

Forbes got a decent big. Now for a few more shooters...

Agreed.

Perfect way to end the class is McKoy, Monsanto and knock down shooter.

walton looks like a really good get. obviously anyone starting (albeit not a ton of PT) on a top 10 team, but his efficiency / advanced metrics are super good (colorado played at a slow tempo)

Nice highlights of Walton. May he have a career at Wake like his namesake out west.

Like that he is a three level scorer. Opponents will have to bring a big to guard him at the three point line, otherwise he can just shoot over smaller defenders. It may be a small sample size, but it looks like he has a nice stroke from 3. And that is backed up by his excellent free throw shooting. He could be a little like Christian Laettner was for Duke. From the high post he could hit the three, pass to a cutter or open corner, or drive to the basket for a dunk, or drive and dish. He should be a great fit for the five out offense Fobes wants to run. Good skills for a guy 7 feet tall.

He apparently has long arms. Announcers said he can touch rim standing on tip toe.

I really like that Walton is used to playing hard for 12-18 minutes. He's used to a time share. He gets it. He puts up big numbers and has no trouble fouling (6.1 pf per 40 min).

Any hold-up with getting Monsanto approved for the academic side of a transfer does not exist (anymore).

I got an image of Randolph Childress in horned rimmed glasses looking over transcripts.

3.5 and 3.5 in 11 mpg it’s different. He will help us inside

WFU Hoops: '21-22 Roster Construction - Adding LaRavia, Taylor, & Walton

Are we talking about Justin McCoy from UVA who averaged 3.5 points? That's who is going to make us a bubble team?

Yes, the guy who was an assumed starter for a top 25 UVA team next year. The guy who is being pursued by UNC and other ACC schools. He is an extremely highly graded defender and showed some real offensive potential. I wouldn’t only look at stats for this one, he has an extremely good build and has 3 years wherever he lands.

Last edited:
Are we talking about Justin McCoy from UVA who averaged 3.5 points? That's who is going to make us a bubble team?

Yes. Because he's a really good player. He didn't play much as an underclassman because he was playing behind all acc and nba players. It was assumed he would.be a starter for UVA next season. He's being heavily recruited. He is also on the ACC all academic team.

We would be very fortunate to get McKoy.

LaRavia and Monsanto would probably step into the role as go-to end of game guys.

Also, in my post, I said we'd be bubble if we got McKoy AND Monsanto. Monsanto is key to next year's success

Headline: Seven-footer Walton Leaves "Conference of Champions" for the ACC

Nice highlight package.

Who is playing the 4 behind Lavaria? We've got plenty of guards. The only other 3/4 or true 4 right now is Lavaria. Maybe Tariq is a backup 4 but I don't think that makes us a better team. Here's the rotation as I see it right now:

PG: Whitt
SG: Williamson, McCray
SF: Taylor, Hildreth
PF: Lavaria, Mucius
C: Ody, Walton, Tariq

These are the vibes I'm talking about.

Plug Mucius at the 3. We haven't had that type of length at the 3 and 4 since JJ and Alfarouq.

I could see Mucius/Laravia/Monsato rotating at the 3 and 4 with Taylor/Hildreth/McCray rotating at the 2/3 in smaller lineups. Lots of options if we get Monsanto...

I don't think Mucius coming off the bench is the possibility unless we get Monsanto

Last edited:
Mucius may end up starting at the 3 because he's a senior. But he's going to have to play serious minutes at the 4.

I do think we will get Monsanto and he'll start at SF.

Back