• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

It's pretty exciting that a situation like mucious v monsanto starting means that if one doesn't hustle, share the ball, whatever the other can step in with limited let down. The whole roster is starting to feel like that.

Love Forbes' confidence and mentality at Wake. Him on Josh Graham's show: "I love it here and we are going win here. There is no reason that we can't and there is no reason that we won't."

He gets it and is going to bring the program back. Let's get this shit done

Love Forbes' confidence and mentality at Wake. Him on Josh Graham's show: "I love it here and we are going win here. There is no reason that we can't and there is no reason that we won't."

I’m pumped for next season already! I think Walton can get 10pts a game from just bunnies and oops from Whitt. Whitt could average 8 assists if our new bigs can catch and finish.

Yea that was awesome, i love me some Forbes.

It was interesting that Forbes said we had only contacted 10-15 players in the transfer portal. I would have guessed the number was about twice that. He also said he insisted that he make the first call to the player.

As the roster stands

Whitt - (28) DW (12)
DW - (17) Monsanto (10) Rob(8) Lucas (5)
Mucius- (18) Cam (10) Lucas (6) Monsanto (6)
LaRavia- (25) Mucius (10) Monsanto (5)
Ody - (14) Walton (13) Tariq( 13)

Again, this is as the roster stands today, IMO.

I don't know how we're going to be anywhere near a bubble team if 4 of our 5 starters are holdovers from last year.

I'm hoping for something more like this, at least by the end of the year:

PG: Whitt 25, DW 15
SG: DW 12, Cam/McCray/Lucas 28
SF: Monsanto 27, Mucius 13
PF: LaRavia 29, Mucius 11
C: Walton 20, Ody 18, Tariq 2

Hopefully one of the CML trio steps up to grab those minutes, and we have an 8-man rotation with occasional stints from others.

It was interesting that Forbes said we had only contacted 10-15 players in the transfer portal. I would have guessed the number was about twice that. He also said he insisted that he make the first call to the player.

I think that he meant they actively recruited 10-15 players.

I don't know how we're going to be anywhere near a bubble team if 4 of our 5 starters are holdovers from last year.

Hopefully one of the CML trio steps up to grab those minutes, and we have an 8-man rotation with occasional stints from others.

Simple. Big improvement over the offseason my guy. Mucius, DWill and Whitt could be a force in the ACC with more strength. Would be surprised if Ody's game doesn't take another step next year as well.

I agree with this, i like that starting line up of Whitt, DW, Monsanto, Laravia and Walton.

Simple. Big improvement over the offseason my guy. Mucius, DWill and Whitt could be a force in the ACC with more strength. Would be surprised if Ody's game doesn't take another step next year as well.

When's the last time we got that kind of jump from three players in the same offseason?

Forbes has done a great job of building out the roster so that we will, by all appearances, have a team full of guys who actually belong on an ACC roster. The problem is that we don't have anyone who jumps out as an All-ACC talent. I've seen enough of the returners to know they ain't getting there, at least not next year. If some of the new guys aren't at or near that caliber, it seems to me we're more likely to be fighting to escape Tuesday of the ACCT than we are to be reaching the NCAAT. Hopefully we'll grab another guy or two who can compete at that level with the remaining scholarships.

Last edited:
If I'm putting together a closeout lineup, I include a seven footer who hits 80%+ from the FT line. Big target when presssed.

When's the last time we got that kind of jump from three players in the same offseason?

Forbes has done a great job of building out the roster so that we will, by all appearances, have a team full of guys who actually belong on an ACC roster. The problem is that we don't have anyone who jumps out as an All-ACC talent. I've seen enough of the returners to know they ain't getting there, at least not next year. If some of the new guys aren't at or near that caliber, it seems to me we're more likely to be fighting to escape Tuesday of the ACCT than we are to be reaching the NCAAT. Hopefully we'll grab another guy or two who can compete at that level with the remaining scholarships.

I am just assuming that these guys will take bigger leaps than they did the previous year because they missed almost a full offseason of strength training last summer. We don't have any stud 1st or 2nd team All-ACC guys next season but we have a few that are good enough to make 3rd team/HM if we fair well enough in the ACC.

No one really knows how good Wake or the rest of the ACC will be next season but I think we have enough talent and depth on paper at this point where we can be in the discussion of having a chance at being a NCAAT team. Especially in a weaker ACC and especially with Forbes coaching and getting a real offseason to work with these guys.

Yeah I think we'll be a lot better but not because of miraculous improvements from legacy players. Maybe a bubble team.

First, I expect we start LaRavia at the 4 and Walton at the 5, which transforms our front court. I don't expect Walton to play more minutes than last year, but I can see him in the exact same role with Ody playing a ton of minutes and Tariq likely more of a limited backup role. Don't see any of those guys playing the 4.

But the overall upgrade of that crew is just a massive upgrade from last year where we stuck a variety of 3's into the 4 spot and hoped Ody never got in foul trouble. If you're a number person we're replacing 16 points of offense and atrocious defense at the 4 for more like 24 points and better defense.

My expectation for Taylor and McCray is that they'll need a year to develop (would love to be wrong), I think Cam will be more ready based on who he's playing against. Daivian was our leading scorer, Mucius our leading overall output guy but he'll be pushed by Monsanto. I'm not sure how those minutes get split up but the overall talent is a big improvement over the minutes from guys like Neath or Jonah or Jalen. Better for sure though.

I see roughly a 10 point improvement in the front court and maybe 4 in the back court. I don't see the "4 of the 5 starters on a horrible team returning why expect better results" storyline playing out. We didn't have a PF on the roster last year, and paired that with a single (borderline) starting 5 with no legitimate backup.

Also, for most of last season PG play was atrocious. Neath never was comfortable or effective. Also, don’t think there was true appreciation for what Carter Whitt went through. He was in HS (not playing basketball) unti Christmas. Then, with a week of practice on a Covid riddled team, he was playing against ACC teams in mid season form. Whitt then missed a week in January with an injury. Impossible to succeed in those circumstances. The lead up to next season will be completely different. Plus, he will have the benefit of half a season under Forbes. PG play is so key to success, WF will be massively improved next year at that spot.

Back