• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Here's a little skinny on Walton:

- Born and raised in Colorado
- Was a 5th year senior at CU this past year; redshirted twice: his true freshman year voluntarily and his RS sophomore year with a torn ACL
- Also, tore his ACL in HS
- Not a scorer, but an excellent shooter: shot 47% from 3 (only 19 attempts) and 85% from the line this past season
- Missed six games in the middle of this past season
- Scored in double figures 4 times this past year; high was 22 against Washington in December; also scored 12 in a win over Oregon State
- Despite his size (7 feet), not a great rebounder averaging 3 a game or shot blocker
- Started 24 of the 26 games he played for the Buffs this past season

Highlights are linked here: https://twitter.com/TransferTapes/status/1376926978301911043

Best person to go from Colorado to Wake since...forever?

Walton started almost every game, but never played more than 19 minutes. Yet he scored in double figures 4 times including scoring 22 pts vs. Washington in 19 minutes on 6-7 fg and 10-10 ft (!!!!!!). I don't know if he's a low minutes guy due to his ACL injury, but he looks like a productive and efficient scorer. He should pair well with Ody in the post and play 12-18 minutes a game whether he starts or not. Gives Forbes the option to play Tariq at PF against bigger lineups as well.

This looks like an ideal pickup.

Last edited:
Updated first page and thread title.

No reason to dwell on those leaving... Just including the additions.

Still have 3 scholarships left and hoping that one of them is used on Monsanto.

Walton looks like a solid addition... Allows us to have a nice rotation of bigs, along with Oguama and Ingraham. Fills a glaring hole from last year's roster (especially once Ingraham was done).

Best person to go from Colorado to Wake since...forever?

Would say the best Deac from Colorado since either:

- Dustin Lyman: stud LB who played for the Bears
- Kyle Sleeth: 3rd overall pick in the 2003 MLB draft; won 26 straight games for the Diamond Deacs, which tied an NCAA record; WF Sports HOF; professional career ended with an elbow injury

At the very least Walton fills some nice skill gaps. Ody can rebound and has tons of energy on defense, but can't shoot from outside 3 feet and doesn't dunk much. This dude is like the exact opposite, for better and worse.

Very curious to see if he starts over Ody. Could see a Whitt/Cam/Mucius/LaRavia/Walton starting 5 next year...

There was really no reason to think we were going to be in the running for Liam Robbins (Minnesota), so Walton had to be at the top of the list. Great pick up that will provide not only depth, but a presence where we needed it most.

Very curious to see if he starts over Ody. Could see a Whitt/Cam/Mucius/LaRavia/Walton starting 5 next year...

I'd be surprised if Daivien didn't start at the beginning of next year. He certainly looked to be the best PG we had last year. And for anyone who was/is worried that we have been looking at too many guards, you have to remember that we could barely get the ball up the court against the press last year. As soon as teams realized that, we wen't from being in every game to getting blown out.

So maybe sub out Cam for Daivien and I think that's your starting lineup as it stands. Monsanto would be tough to keep out of the starting line up as well, so we could have parity at every position that we haven't seen in quite some time.

Last edited:
Love this pickup...I like starting Walton/Ody/Ingraham at 10 minutes each at the C spot and then let them fight it out for the last 10 minutes of playing time- best player gets the most minutes, just as it should be.

This seems fitting to finally break the Bzzz curse

There was really no reason to think we were going to be in the running for Liam Robbins (Minnesota), so Walton had to be at the top of the list. Great pick up that will provide not only depth, but a presence where we needed it most.

I'd be surprised if Daivien didn't start at the beginning of next year. He certainly looked to be the best PG we had last year. And for anyone who was/is worried that we have been looking at too many guards, you have to remember that we could barely get the ball up the court against the press last year. As soon as teams realized that, we wen't from being in every game to getting blown out.

So maybe sub out Cam for Daivien and I think that's your starting lineup as it stands. Monsanto would be tough to keep out of the starting line up as well, so we could have parity at every position that we haven't seen in quite some time.

Davien didn't play that much PG this year. 2/3 of his minutes came with another primary PG on the court (usually Carter, sometimes Neath). Unless he's hurt, think Forbes plans to start and (more importantly) give the primary PG minutes to Carter Whitt. From the press conferences, pretty clear that Forbes plans on riding with Whitt over the next 4 years.

The curse on WF will not be over until someone successfully does a 360 or reverse dunk to counteract Trent Strickland's ill-fated attempt.

didn't we get a QB commit from a kid from Colorado in the last five or so years?

Penn State combo guard Myreon Jones (he was mentioned as a potential WF target) committed to FL.

Don’t forget about Don Mulnix. A heralded center from Co. with bad knees in the mid-70s. Hope Walton has better luck than Don.

Aside from Wake having a current staff member (Matt Woodley) who was an assistant at Drake for two seasons while Robbins was there, sure.

I think the starting lineup will be Whitt/Davien/____/Lavaria/Ody. Walton seems like a stretch big to bring off the bench. Cam is definitely an high energy scorer who would be good off the bench until he surpasses Davien as as a starter. Same is probably true for McCray. I think Mucius will be coming off the bench primarily at the 4 with some minutes at the 3. If we get Monsanto, he'd probably be the best fit to start at SF in that lineup.

Don’t forget about Don Mulnix. A heralded center from Co. with bad knees in the mid-70s. Hope Walton has better luck than Don.

I hadn't thought about that name in 40+ years....DAYUM!!

Yes, I am that old. Got hooked on watching Rod and Skip!

Back