• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

I’ve been really critical of Mucius because he’s been disappointing, however, if he doesn’t try to do too much and can be a more consistent offensive threat and give us something like 8/6 in about 15 minutes off the bench...I think we have four-five lineups that will make us pretty damn competitive. Forbes is going to turn this thing around soon. Go Deacs!

Much of the "disappointment" around Mucius is that he's been asked to do too much on a team with too little talent. I'll think he would thrive with a defined role as a high energy bench guy.

I don't know how we're going to be anywhere near a bubble team if 4 of our 5 starters are holdovers from last year.

I'm hoping for something more like this, at least by the end of the year:

PG: Whitt 25, DW 15
SG: DW 12, Cam/McCray/Lucas 28
SF: Monsanto 27, Mucius 13
PF: LaRavia 29, Mucius 11
C: Walton 20, Ody 18, Tariq 2

Hopefully one of the CML trio steps up to grab those minutes, and we have an 8-man rotation with occasional stints from others.

Pretty much the same minutes I came up with. Doesn’t matter who we plug into the starting slot. Point is overall minutes.

We're all thinking pretty much the same minutes distribution which is impressive for a remade roster.

Yeah I think we'll be a lot better but not because of miraculous improvements from legacy players. Maybe a bubble team.

First, I expect we start LaRavia at the 4 and Walton at the 5, which transforms our front court. I don't expect Walton to play more minutes than last year, but I can see him in the exact same role with Ody playing a ton of minutes and Tariq likely more of a limited backup role. Don't see any of those guys playing the 4.

But the overall upgrade of that crew is just a massive upgrade from last year where we stuck a variety of 3's into the 4 spot and hoped Ody never got in foul trouble. If you're a number person we're replacing 16 points of offense and atrocious defense at the 4 for more like 24 points and better defense.

My expectation for Taylor and McCray is that they'll need a year to develop (would love to be wrong), I think Cam will be more ready based on who he's playing against. Daivian was our leading scorer, Mucius our leading overall output guy but he'll be pushed by Monsanto. I'm not sure how those minutes get split up but the overall talent is a big improvement over the minutes from guys like Neath or Jonah or Jalen. Better for sure though.

I see roughly a 10 point improvement in the front court and maybe 4 in the back court. I don't see the "4 of the 5 starters on a horrible team returning why expect better results" storyline playing out. We didn't have a PF on the roster last year, and paired that with a single (borderline) starting 5 with no legitimate backup.

This is where I’m at.

Much of the "disappointment" around Mucius is that he's been asked to do too much on a team with too little talent. I'll think he would thrive with a defined role as a high energy bench guy.

Yea i agree with this, Mucius would be good coming off the bench as an energy guy backing up Monsanto or LaRavia.

I mean, people are projecting a freshman of the year in a non-P6 conference is going to start over a 3-year starter who was the best player on this team last year and who will be a Senior. So yeah, reality may have taken a back seat.

Well when you put it like that...

I agree Mucius will start, and he'll do much better as a wing player rather than being forced into the post. I think he'll be our leading scorer next year.

Also some projections have 10+ minutes for Tariq, some 2 minutes. Pretty big question mark there.

If Tariq can bounce back from injury I think he plays a decent role. 8-12 mpg IF he's completely healthy.

I don't see how anyone can forecast Oguama / Ingraham / Walton.

There are exactly zero examples of games where both Ingraham and Oguama played and Walton is a guy who has had injury issues in every single season of his collegiate playing career.

I'd be ecstatic if they could all stay healthy and compete for minutes at the 5... Best case scenario (for team success) is they are all healthy contibutors and we don't have enough minutes available for all of them at the 5. I doubt that's how it plays out, though.

Forbes putting in that work! Really exciting to see such a quick recruiting turnaround! You think these pickups help with possibly getting Aidoo, or has that ship sailed?

I don't see how anyone can forecast Oguama / Ingraham / Walton.

There are exactly zero examples of games where both Ingraham and Oguama played and Walton is a guy who has had injury issues in every single season of his collegiate playing career.

I'd be ecstatic if they could all stay healthy and compete for minutes at the 5... Best case scenario (for team success) is they are all healthy contibutors and we don't have enough minutes available for all of them at the 5. I doubt that's how it plays out, though.

Completely agree. Also, minutes projections can't take into account inevitable injuries or other circumstances that take a player out for all or part of a season. Mucius and Massoud got minutes at the 5 spot last year because Ody couldn't stay on the floor, Ingraham went out after two games and Okpomo went into the doghouse. Of WF's 13 scholarship players, only three (Mucius, Massoud and Davien) played in every WF game last year. While next season hopefully won't have the COVID-forced absences, things are going to happen which are going to cause shifts in minutes and in who plays what position.

Was thrilled that WF landed Dallas Walton, but he missed 6 games last year, has 3 torn ACLs, and has not played more than 20 minutes in any college game since February 2018. Walton averaged 12 minutes a game this past season. He's going to help, but to count on Walton averaging 20 minutes a game next season for WF's 30+ game schedule, given that record seems optimistic.

Forbes putting in that work! Really exciting to see such a quick recruiting turnaround! You think these pickups help with possibly getting Aidoo, or has that ship sailed?

82f0b3ec325b6a6185ceec2cf7cf8a03.gif

Completely agree. Also, minutes projections can't take into account inevitable injuries or other circumstances that take a player out for all or part of a season. Mucius and Massoud got minutes at the 5 spot last year because Ody couldn't stay on the floor, Ingraham went out after two games and Okpomo went into the doghouse. Of WF's 13 scholarship players, only three (Mucius, Massoud and Davien) played in every WF game last year. While next season hopefully won't have the COVID-forced absences, things are going to happen which are going to cause shifts in minutes and in who plays what position.

Was thrilled that WF landed Dallas Walton, but he missed 6 games last year, has 3 torn ACLs, and has not played more than 20 minutes in any college game since February 2018. Walton averaged 12 minutes a game this past season. He's going to help, but to count on Walton averaging 20 minutes a game next season for WF's 30+ game schedule, given that record seems optimistic.

Walton averaged 14.9 mpg last year, and the plurality of CU's minutes at center were soaked up by somebody with far better numbers than anyone on our team. Obviously, he's a substantial injury risk, but for us to be a bubble team he needs to stay healthy and he needs to play more minutes than he did for a team that had actual good players last year. Same with Monsanto; he's unlikely to start over or get more minutes than Mucius. However, if he's not better next year than Mucius was last year, barring some Josh Howard like explosion from Mucius, we aren't sniffing the bubble.

It seems to me that we can cobble together a respectable rotation at the 3-4-5, but that the #2 spot is a glaring weakness. I haven't seen any chatter about it, but landing Lederrius Brewer would seem to do wonders for our rotation both by putting a much better player (really efficient eFG and TS% despite an outrageous usage) at the 2 while letting Whitt and DW lock down all the minutes at point.

All IMO, of course. I certainly hope the more optimistic folks are right. There's a long way between 3-15 in the ACC and #175 in KP and being a bubble team. We can and will be substantially improved regardless, but in order to be a bubble team, I think we need these new guys to be grand slams, not doubles and singles.

Obviously, Forbes has the inside connection on Brewer, but according to twitter, the schools to first contact Brewer are Illinois, Texas A&M, S. Carolina and Loyola-Chicago.

15 min from Walton would be fine. Ody was solid in 21 mpg. It’s not going to be a great C rotation but solid.

Walton averaged 14.9 mpg last year, and the plurality of CU's minutes at center were soaked up by somebody with far better numbers than anyone on our team. Obviously, he's a substantial injury risk, but for us to be a bubble team he needs to stay healthy and he needs to play more minutes than he did for a team that had actual good players last year. Same with Monsanto; he's unlikely to start over or get more minutes than Mucius. However, if he's not better next year than Mucius was last year, barring some Josh Howard like explosion from Mucius, we aren't sniffing the bubble.

It seems to me that we can cobble together a respectable rotation at the 3-4-5, but that the #2 spot is a glaring weakness. I haven't seen any chatter about it, but landing Lederrius Brewer would seem to do wonders for our rotation both by putting a much better player (really efficient eFG and TS% despite an outrageous usage) at the 2 while letting Whitt and DW lock down all the minutes at point.

All IMO, of course. I certainly hope the more optimistic folks are right. There's a long way between 3-15 in the ACC and #175 in KP and being a bubble team. We can and will be substantially improved regardless, but in order to be a bubble team, I think we need these new guys to be grand slams, not doubles and singles.

OGB, to be clear, Dallas Walton averaged 12 minutes per game, counting total minutes played by Walton (388), divided by total number of Colorado games (32). Walton missed 6 games; so, in the games, he played Walton averaged 14.9 minutes. In the three seasons when Walton did play for CU, he missed some games every year; so, think its fair to assume that Walton will miss some games next year.

Back