• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

First of all, one and done is about to be over. Taking an occasional one and done doesn't make you a factory.

Give me a Hoard every year. If we had a coach then, we'd be begging for more Hoards.

Knowing absolutely nothing, I'd be very surprised if any of the following players were not on next year's roster:

Carter Whitt (FR)
Emmanuel Okpomo (FR)
Ody Oguama (SO)
Daivien Williamson (JR)
Isaiah Mucius (JR)

Most everyone else is varying degrees of uncertainty.

Knowing absolutely nothing, I'd be very surprised if any of the following players were not on next year's roster:

Carter Whitt (FR)
Emmanuel Okpomo (FR)
Ody Oguama (SO)
Daivien Williamson (JR)
Isaiah Mucius (JR)

Generally agree. A few weeks ago, Forbes intimated that DuBose would be back. Also, assuming he is healthy, would think that Tariq Ingraham will return next year. Finally, as I understand the transfer rules, not sure Isiah Wilkins can transfer without sitting out next year (plus he's playing in his HT). Wilkins has used his one free transfer to move from VT to WF, but maybe the NCAA will allow players to transfer twice without a sitting a year, given the COVID situation.

BTW, fun facts, there are two current Deacs to have scored in an NCAA Tourney game:

Wilkins for VT in 2019
Jalen Johnson for TN in 2018

Generally agree. A few weeks ago, Forbes intimated that DuBose would be back. Also, assuming he is healthy, would think that Tariq Ingraham will return next year. Finally, as I understand the transfer rules, not sure Isiah Wilkins can transfer without sitting out next year (plus he's playing in his HT). Wilkins has used his one free transfer to move from VT to WF, but maybe the NCAA will allow players to transfer twice without a sitting a year, given the COVID situation.

BTW, fun facts, there are two current Deacs to have scored in an NCAA Tourney game:

Wilkins for VT in 2019
Jalen Johnson for TN in 2018

I wanted to include Dubose and Tariq on that list, but I feel 95% with those I listed and like 80% with these two.

Dubose could just decide that he wants to get on with his life and Tariq has had a rough go of it at Wake (injuries/illness).

Wilkins is a tough one. By all accounts a good dude, but he's never going to get run. Add in the fact that he was brought in by Manning and it just doesn't seem like it makes sense for him to stick it out. But I have no idea what his options are.

Carter Whitt (FR)
Emmanuel Okpomo (FR)
Ody Oguama (SO)
Daivien Williamson (JR)
Isaiah Mucius (JR)

I used to think like this, but not anymore. Nothing would shock me until we build back up to a stable program.

Remember when Forbes took his first round of questions after some significant practice time, and when asked who was our best player he said Ian DuBose? And everyone was like, uhhhhhhh wtf it's not Mucius or Massoud or our guaranteed starting point guard Jacobi Neath? And the second best player was another transfer, Daivien Williamson? Is a team that starts Whitt/DuBose/Williamson/Mucius/Ody actually good? Probably not. Any of those guys legit ACC starters on a good team right now? Probably not. The list by ATS makes sense right now, but a lot can change once we hit portal madness on a team where every starting position is in question.

Once Whitt finishes "high school" he should be a pretty good freshman recruit for the 21-22 Deacs.

One thing I think NCAA should put in place are in-season dead periods for the transfer portals. NCAA would not accept player transfer requests. Coaches could not contact players wanting to transfer in.

E.g. for football, no transfers, or maybe no coach initiated contact with transferring players between Aug 15 and January date of championship game.
For basketball, Nov 1 to national championship game in April. Same thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
That makes sense.

One thing I think NCAA should put in place are in-season dead periods for the transfer portals. NCAA would not accept player transfer requests. Coaches could not contact players wanting to transfer in.

E.g. for football, no transfers, or maybe no coach initiated contact with transferring players between Aug 15 and January date of championship game.
For basketball, Nov 1 to national championship game in April. Same thing.

Thoughts?

What about mid-season transfers in basketball? I have no problem with guys transferring early in the season so that they can be eligible for spring semester the next season.

Though I guess that goes away if there is no longer a year of sitting out.

I Thought this discussion is general transfer rules , so put my reply there.

Last edited:
Continuing my wildly fluctuating speculation on transfers based on single games...

*Forbes had positive things to say about Adams and the way he defends. I still think he's a player that fits in better outside of a P6 program, but he'll still be a FR next year. Maybe he's worth keeping around?
*Can't see Jalen Johnson coming back given he began the season as a starter and has seen his minutes decline significantly lately. There are times when I love his game (smooth stroke, athleticism, and hustle) and times when he looks clueless out there... Which isn't something you'd expect from a grad transfer.
*I'll be shocked if Neath comes back. Change of scenery perhaps best for everyone in this situation.

I would like to see more of Adams. At the very least, he looks to have the quickness to be a decent defender. Time will tell if he is talented enough to play at this level.

On that note, Danny Manning may have set a record for worst recruiting class ever last year.

Dji Bailey - 1.6 ppg in 7 games for Richmond - stats skewed by a 9 point performance against St. Mary's (MD) - a team that lost to Delaware St. by 17 points.
Jaylon Gibson - .8 ppg in 14 games for NC State - has scored 2 points total in 8 ACC games.
Marcus Watson - 3 ppg for Western Illinois - shooting 19.7% from the field, 5.3% from 3, and 36.7% from the free throw line. Went from playing 30 mpg to barely cracking the rotation.
Quadry Adams - 2.3 ppg for Wake in 7 games - Scored 11 in our first game against Delaware State and 5 points since.

This year is painful and we may have been slightly better under Manning if we had retained Brown and Sarr but I'm glad we went ahead and ripped the band-aid off. We would have been horrific next year. Forbes has a monumental task ahead of him. I don't think this roster is fixable. We don't have the athleticism to drive and we don't have any players capable of scoring in the post. We can be competitive if we launch 3s and happen to get hot but that's not a winning formula.

With admittedly no basketball coaching experience and no in-person observation of any team members or games this year, my take is as follows:

Post-grads: Would be OK with me if they all moved on, as they only delay younger players getting experience and improving, Dubose is the only one I would not mind staying, although he really needs to improve his FT shooting. Antonio is a one trick pony and would be well served to go play for pay down under. I would interpret Johnson's DNP during yesterday's Pitt loss (while Adams got his first significant PT) as writing on the wall that it's time to move on. Regardless, I wish them all well and appreciate their willingness to sign on to Forbes' program resuscitation efforts.

Keepers: Mucius, Williamson, Ody, Whitt, Okpomo. The latter three need significant further development (Okpomo potentially could become an excellent rim defender) and Mucius really needs to primarily play at the 3 spot

Unclear futures: Neath, Massoud, Ingraham, Wilkins, Adams. The former two look like A-10 level players, and Neath can't be happy with Adams basically taking his minutes against Pitt. Have to wonder if Ingraham will have significant lingering COVID-related health effects that could impact his playing future. Wilkins is a local kid who seems to play hard, but is kind of a tweener. Adams has to see that Forbes basically recruited over him with both incoming freshman.

I'm stoked for 2021-2022 minutes projections based on who I think is returning with no knowledge of the reality of the situation

PG - Whitt - 25 min, Williamson 10 min McCray 5 min
SG - Dubose 15 min, Williamson 5 min, McCray 10 min Hildreth 10 min
F - Mucius 15 min McCray 5 min, Hildreth 10 min, Dubose 10 min
F - Super Stud grad transfer 25 minutes, Mucius 15 min
C - Ody/Emma/Tariq/grad transfer

This is the scenario where Adams, Neath, Massoud, Wilkins, Johnson and Antonio all move on. I'm not wishing for anyone to move on...This is baseless speculation and Creamy/Resilient shall not be held accountable for this post.

I think McCray and Hildreth are going to come in immediately and compete for starting jobs.

Gotta get that 6'9 - 6'10 super stud grad transfer who can bang AND stretch the floor.

FWIW, think Hildreth will average more than 20 minutes a game. That's less than what Massoud averages this year. Also, Williamson currently averages 34 minutes a game. Hopefully, we have more guard options next year, but don't see Davien's minutes drop from 34 to 15 minutes a game. The key is getting at least one "Super Stud" big.

I'm stoked for 2021-2022 minutes projections based on who I think is returning with no knowledge of the reality of the situation

This is the scenario where Adams, Neath, Massoud, Wilkins, Johnson and Antonio all move on. I'm not wishing for anyone to move on...This is baseless speculation and Creamy/Resilient shall not be held accountable for this post.

I think McCray and Hildreth are going to come in immediately and compete for starting jobs.

Gotta get that 6'9 - 6'10 super stud grad transfer who can bang AND stretch the floor.

I love the audacity of a minutes projection for '21-22 in early March. It's spectacular.

Agree w/ Pilchard, too.

Sounds about right. not sure DW is only 15 min/game but let's see how much Whitt improves. Getting Whitt, DW, McCray and Hildreth meaningful minutes will be a challenge but maybe they will separate themselves as we move along.

FWIW, think Hildreth will average more than 20 minutes a game. That's less than what Massoud averages this year. Also, Williamson currently averages 34 minutes a game. Hopefully, we have more guard options next year, but don't see Davien's minutes drop from 34 to 15 minutes a game. The key is getting at least one "Super Stud" big.

Love DW but i do wonder if his lack of size limits his upside. he's sort of a low ceiling, high floor guy?

Good feedback...I'll update on my 4/1/21 projections.

Back