• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Remember when Steve Nash was the only Canadian in the NBA? There are a ton of them now. Can’t believe Neath was the #1 player in his class.

Remember when Steve Nash was the only Canadian in the NBA? There are a ton of them now. Can’t believe Neath was the #1 player in his class.

I show him as #3 that year behind Patterson (#42 composite - Oregon to Nevada) and Guerrier (#121 - Syracuse).

But yeah.

Sophomore Guard Jahcobi Neath Enters the Transfer Portal reported by Blogger so dear

Sorry guys, didn't realize this had already been reported.

Last edited:
How do we get RJ Hot Karl back to one thread again? Why was that not a permanent thing? He is a cancer to this board.

And, for the record, Neath was trash all year.

Lols. Neath’s decline from last year was super puzzling. He seemed like a different player than the one who looked like he could hang with ACC talent.

Lols. Neath’s decline from last year was super puzzling. He seemed like a different player than the one who looked like he could hang with ACC talent.

Style of play was completely different. Last year was basically clear out and make your own move, so he knew if any offense was going to happen, he just had to drive. This year, there was actually a system involved. He may have been in his head too much thinking about it or the new system just doesn't match his game. Not sure. It looked like he just lost focus fairly consistently.

Neath's AST/TO was 0.9. In other words, more turnovers than assists. He averaged 1.8 turnovers per game while only playing 15 mpg. He also shot 22% from 3.

Yet, if you are RJ Hot Karl, he is as good as Jamie Skeen ;)

Someone be carpet's friend. His obsession with me is quite creepy.

Wake was the only P5 school that wanted Neath out of high school. Manning needed warm bodies to fill the roster and he found one. Beat out Tulane and WkU.

Generally agree. A few weeks ago, Forbes intimated that DuBose would be back. Also, assuming he is healthy, would think that Tariq Ingraham will return next year. Finally, as I understand the transfer rules, not sure Isiah Wilkins can transfer without sitting out next year (plus he's playing in his HT). Wilkins has used his one free transfer to move from VT to WF, but maybe the NCAA will allow players to transfer twice without a sitting a year, given the COVID situation.

BTW, fun facts, there are two current Deacs to have scored in an NCAA Tourney game:

Wilkins for VT in 2019
Jalen Johnson for TN in 2018

I really hope Wilkins stays, he is a really good kid. We used him a lot early, and he was a defensive asset, had a nose for the ball. Then he got COVID and seemed like the coaches never went back to him once he got healthy again. He really could be a key player if he can get back in the rotation.

Played really well at VT his freshman year, Buzz Williams thought a lot of him and had him developing. . . then played for Buzz's replacement, then was recruited by Manning, and now trying to earn PT for Forbes. Tough stretch for a young man. I am still high on this guy, just hope he earns his way back in.

Last edited:
Yeah, Wilkins is a guy I have a soft spot for. He's a prime example of a guy who needs to eat well, and get in the best condition of his life. Of he can do that, then he should be able to carve out a small role as a 3 and D rotational guy in the ACC.

Yeah, Wilkins is a guy I have a soft spot for. He's a prime example of a guy who needs to eat well, and get in the best condition of his life. Of he can do that, then he should be able to carve out a small role as a 3 and D rotational guy in the ACC.

I'm giving the players some leeway on energy and hustle late in the season. We know Covid hit the team hard. Two guys were out long term. The rest probably had varying degrees of illness. Without basketball conditioning training for 34 days, guys got out of shape. Speed and level of recovery post Covid most certainly varied.

Wilkins is one of several who might benefit from rest and recuperation followed by rebuild of strength and conditioning.

I like Wilkins, but I think it is a stretch to believe he's ever going to be a contributor.

These next 6-10 weeks are going to determine the next couple years of Wake basketball. If we can get guys like Jake Laravia and upgrade our talent, then the turnaround begins.

If we get nothing but leftovers and 3rd tier transfers, we will still be a few years away.

2 or 3 key transfers and we are back. Simple as that

I like Wilkins, but I think it is a stretch to believe he's ever going to be a contributor.

i'm with resilient -- after all, wilkins has already been a contributor to a really good team (he played 14 mpg as a freshman for VT team that was 13th overall in KP). i think the strange issue is he's probably a better fit on a good team than a bad team.

Wilkins seems like a great kid. He was enthusiastic all year, even when not getting PT. Also, like that he is local. That said, not sure what he does well. He's 6-3, but he is not a PG. Not even sure if he's a 2 (SG). Whatever his position, Wilkins is not a natural scorer (he has played in over 50 ACC games and has scored in double figures 3 times; his high game is 11), nor is he a big time three point threat. Perhaps, he is a great defensive guy, but I didn't notice that at VT or this past year (granted his minutes were limited); he's not one of those rare smaller guys who finds rebounds. If Wilkins wants to stay at WF, there is no way I would try nudge him as that already happened once, but I would be pleasantly surprised if Wilkins is ever a difference maker at WF.

On top of that, it appears there are going to be ton of guys on the roster that would play the 2 or 3 spots for WF that would be ahead of Wilkins:

- Williamson
- McCray
- Hildreth
- Adams
- Mucius

Maybe even Massoud.

Just trying to envision a scenario where Wilkins gets at least 10 to 15 minutes a game next year, and barring massive injuries or other unexpected losses of personnel, just hard to see.

Last edited:
Back