• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

If he's pushing Massoud out, he better have Antonio returning and some mystery three point shooter. If not we will be small and not have three enough three point threats. If neither Antonio nor Massoud come back and we don't ACC ready true big, next season will be a disaster.

Massoud has his limitations, but I have a hard time believing Forbes would be pushing him out. As RJ mentioned, we need three point shooters.

Had we had two more dynamic guards that could effectively drive and dish, guys like Massoud and Antonio would have seen a lot more open looks.

As a thought experiment, imagine if CP3 or Teague were on this year's team. Yes, they are NBA players so that alone would have made the team better, but their style of play would also have allowed so many others to play within their skillsets and made the team so much better.

Massoud had one hot game this year. For the rest of the season he shot 29% from deep while battling Whitt for being the worst defender on the team. Antonio made 1 or zero field goals in more than half of our ACC games. Massoud is atrocious on defense, Jonah merely passable. Neither rebound much. Neither handle the ball well. Neither can finish inside.

These are not starters, or even close to starters, on good ACC teams. Short of Massoud living in the weight room to become a true 4 (he will never, ever be able to stay in front of legitimate wings in the ACC), or Jonah adding some lift to that quick release so he can actually get his shot over a defender, they're not even role players on a good ACC team. Same goes for Neath. And Wilkins. And Jalen. And Quadry. At least Quadry can play defense.

Anyone fixated on whether we keep or lose these guys is just wasting brain cycles.

If they aren't replaced with better players and there are no Covid games next year, we will be lucky to have as good a record as we had this season.

Massoud has his limitations, but I have a hard time believing Forbes would be pushing him out. As RJ mentioned, we need three point shooters.

Had we had two more dynamic guards that could effectively drive and dish, guys like Massoud and Antonio would have seen a lot more open looks.

As a thought experiment, imagine if CP3 or Teague were on this year's team. Yes, they are NBA players so that alone would have made the team better, but their style of play would also have allowed so many others to play within their skillsets and made the team so much better.

The red part is 100% accurate. For the first part of the season, our guards did a lot of driving an dishing. We got open shots. Why did we stop doing that and just pass the ball around the perimeter?

Bring back DW, Whitt, Zeke, Dubose, Ody, Massoud(for spot minutes), Quadry(I love his energy), and Tariq(if healthy).

I'm not sure about E-Man, but if Forbes feels he can develop him, bring him back because we need frontcourt depth.

Add Cam/Rob and let's hope Forbes lands a couple gems in the portal.

Hopefully Wilkins lands at HPU, WSSU, UNCG, UNCC or somewhere that he can excel. He seems like a good guy and team player. I like him but he doesn't seem to fit what Forbes is trying to do.

Antonio shot .400 from deep where he took almost all his shots. Massoud shot .336 from deep and .349 from 2. That’s unbelievably bad. He did shoot .398 from deep last year so I guess that’s something to hang on to.

To me, Massoud just seems like a reckless chucker. It seems the majority of his shot attempts either clang off the back iron and/or backboard. I've rarely seen him leave a shot short. Maybe he can work on that? Who knows?

What is the deal with Neath? I thought he showed some talent last year, and Forbes essentially re-recruited him to come back, but then Neath has been on the bench the last 2-3 games?

What is the deal with Neath? I thought he showed some talent last year, and Forbes essentially re-recruited him to come back, but then Neath has been on the bench the last 2-3 games?

It's even more puzzling when we're trying to recruit Boakye. It would be really unusual if they didn't know each other well. Pissing off a logical helper to getting a player we need so badly doesn't seem sensible.

It's even more puzzling when we're trying to recruit Boakye. It would be really unusual if they didn't know each other well. Pissing off a logical helper to getting a player we need so badly doesn't seem sensible.

I think you are probably assigning way too much weight to the impact of Neath's opinion on Boakye's decision.

Neath was Class of 2019. Boakye is Class of 2022.

The only thing I can find about the two of them is from the 2019 BioSteel All Canadian Game where Neath was his team's MVP (21 points, 8 rebounds, noted that he even played some defence in an all-start game). Boakye wasn't in that game, but he was at an event earlier that weekend... The Nike Boys Futures Game.

I get that they are both from the Toronto area and I'm sure they know each other, at least in passing... But why do you think they have some deeper relationship?

FWIW, the other MVP from that game was Addison Patterson, who was a Top 50 player that recently transferred from Oregon to Nevada. The only other player I recognized from that game was Tyrese Samuel (we recruited him), who had been pretty meh for Seton Hall.

To me, Massoud just seems like a reckless chucker. It seems the majority of his shot attempts either clang off the back iron and/or backboard. I've rarely seen him leave a shot short. Maybe he can work on that? Who knows?

he airballed one by 5 feet last night

Massoud had one hot game this year. For the rest of the season he shot 29% from deep while battling Whitt for being the worst defender on the team. Antonio made 1 or zero field goals in more than half of our ACC games. Massoud is atrocious on defense, Jonah merely passable. Neither rebound much. Neither handle the ball well. Neither can finish inside.

These are not starters, or even close to starters, on good ACC teams. Short of Massoud living in the weight room to become a true 4 (he will never, ever be able to stay in front of legitimate wings in the ACC), or Jonah adding some lift to that quick release so he can actually get his shot over a defender, they're not even role players on a good ACC team. Same goes for Neath. And Wilkins. And Jalen. And Quadry. At least Quadry can play defense.

Anyone fixated on whether we keep or lose these guys is just wasting brain cycles.

[Cold-blooded, but alas i don't see anything inaccurate in here]

I'm not saying it's big time, but why take away something that could help. Clearly, Boakye has no real ties to any of the schools he's looking at currently.

I never said they had any "deeper relationship". But Canada is a small country, that doesn't have a deep bench of players. They probably have lots of friends in common.

Again, I've never said this was a defining concept, but why blow something up that might help? We don't have the luxury of saying we don't give a fuck.

I'm not saying it's big time, but why take away something that could help. Clearly, Boakye has no real ties to any of the schools he's looking at currently.

I never said they had any "deeper relationship". But Canada is a small country, that doesn't have a deep bench of players. They probably have lots of friends in common.

Again, I've never said this was a defining concept, but why blow something up that might help? We don't have the luxury of saying we don't give a fuck.

Gotcha.

I think Boakye is such a longshot that it doesn't much matter. But I have no idea. Would love to land him.

I agree we aren't favorites or have much of a shot, but he did take us on early. Getting him would be a masterstroke and make the future much brighter. With as few arrows as we have in our quiver, I don't like wasting one that was to easy to avoid.

Massoud is terrible. He’s a high volume shooter that shoots 33% from 3 and can’t defend any position. He made 36 3s in 22 games and 10 of those came in a single game. If McCray and Hildreth can’t at least equal that production we are never going to be relevant again.

Outside of that Pitt game, Massoud was 26/93 for a whopping 28% rate from 3. And that’s supposed to be his key skill.

Back