• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Some sites have him listed as a forward. If he could get a moderately decent 3pt shot, maybe 28%, then he could play some stretch 4 to give Laravia a rest. I'm excited to see what LaRavia and Walton can do on the court at the same time. Both legitimate stretch big men. I bet Mucius has a good shooting year too. We don't have any dead eye shooters like Jonah Antonio, but we have 6 or or so guys that can shoot it 30%+ per clip.

Forbes likes his 4s to have some playmaking ability. I think we only see Marsh at the 5 during his time in Winston unless Forbes starts running some more lineups with 2 stereotypical bigs now that we have the depth to do so.

That’s the thing, we know Forbes is willing to do the work to break out a whole new system if it will bring the most success with the team he has.

To think that the AD convinced a decent segment of our fan base that this wasn't possible for a decade because idk

Fuck you, Ron! Steve's got this.

To think that the AD convinced a decent segment of our fan base that this wasn't possible for a decade because idk

Fuck you, Ron! Steve's got this.

Weird how some leaders convince people that better isn’t possible and direct anger toward people who dare to want more.

Did the team release any of those “combine” numbers? Are team combines a common thing in college hoops? It’s a good idea.

The combine thing is awesome - love all the posters and hype around it, really seems like a polished effort. I'm sure the players love it. I knew McCray could jump, but damn. Also pretty nice to see Walton looking healthy and agile, and always love seeing Mucius enjoying his (I assume) last year at Wake. Really hoping this team overachieves and he gets to be a part of something fun, he deserves it.

I did like that they split out the McCray jump into a separate clip and Lucas Taylor commented that it made up for getting dunked on in the previous Cam clip... Lol. What Forbes has done in such a short time is amazing.

Had a vision last night of a lineup of Whitt, Mucius, Laravia, Walton, and Ingraham all on the floor at the same time. That sounds fun.

The ACC Network ran great WF basketball games all last night. Childress/Duncan vs Duke and UNC, Chris Paul vs Duke, Wake-GT ACC Final. While it was great to relive those memories, it is a shame that all of our significant games are 15-25 years ago. :mad:

The ACC Network ran great WF basketball games all last night. Childress/Duncan vs Duke and UNC, Chris Paul vs Duke, Wake-GT ACC Final. While it was great to relive those memories, it is a shame that all of our significant games are 15-25 years ago. :mad:

Yep, it’s been going on for a few days now. It’s at least been fun to show my kids those games with the hope that they’re not just the glory days that will never return.

Ha my son and I sat down and watched the end plus OT of the Wake/UNC ACC championship. Been a while since I watched it, obviously all is forgiven when you win the game, but man was that a HORRIBLE coaching effort. Rasheed Wallace goes out with an injury, UNC doubles Childress at every turn, and we simply refused to ever look down low for Tim. I mean, ever. So the entire offense became Childress, which caused multiple ugly turnovers from Rusty and others to try to throw away the game. Got lucky when UNC missed multiple open shots for the win and then again for the tie. Even luckier that Childress bailed everyone out with clutch shots. Poor Tim touched the ball once because he happened to venture to the perimeter for a screen (then hit the long jumper) except when he got an offensive board (which he pretty much did each trip down). Crazy.

Ha my son and I sat down and watched the end plus OT of the Wake/UNC ACC championship. Been a while since I watched it, obviously all is forgiven when you win the game, but man was that a HORRIBLE coaching effort. Rasheed Wallace goes out with an injury, UNC doubles Childress at every turn, and we simply refused to ever look down low for Tim. I mean, ever. So the entire offense became Childress, which caused multiple ugly turnovers from Rusty and others to try to throw away the game. Got lucky when UNC missed multiple open shots for the win and then again for the tie. Even luckier that Childress bailed everyone out with clutch shots. Poor Tim touched the ball once because he happened to venture to the perimeter for a screen (then hit the long jumper) except when he got an offensive board (which he pretty much did each trip down). Crazy.

The color announcer (Clark Kellogg?) stated several times he couldn't believe Wake wasn't going inside. We were in the bonus as well, IIRC. But it worked out ok.

And those missed free throws. Yikes

Had never seen this. After all that I had heard over the years about Odom, Duncan, this team, I was shocked at how very lucky Wake was to beat UNC. And agree that Odom looked lost in the last 4-5 minutes. Heck, I don't think Duncan touched the ball more than once in that time frame. If not for the composure and leadership of Childress UNC wins that game.

In the early iterations of the WF boards there was a ton of criticism of GDO (about recruiting and his implication that WF basketball had a low-ceiling and of course in game adjustments) and Skip (particularly about lack of defense and late season fades). Just shows how far fanbase basketball expectations have eroded as WF declined. Now just making the NCAA tournament seems like an epic achievement for Deacon hoop. For 20 years, receiving an NCAA invite was an not even a minimum expectation for WF. Got to get back there.

Last edited:

I noticed that too. But Chill told the guys to give him the damn ball every time after those ugly turnovers. He even said that in the post game interview. In retrospect, maybe chill should have said to give the ball to him or Duncan. But give GDO some credit —Chill was a tough guy to coach.

I noticed that too. But Chill told the guys to give him the damn ball every time after those ugly turnovers. He even said that in the post game interview. In retrospect, maybe chill should have said to give the ball to him or Duncan. But give GDO some credit —Chill was a tough guy to coach.

Yeah. Childress was as hot as a hot hand could be. And this wasn’t all-time great Tim Duncan yet.

I was in Greensboro for that game. It seems like a lifetime ago. I probably slept about 6 hrs. all weekend, but it was fucking magic.
Randolph had 107 pts. in the three games. That was good by me.

In the post game they asked Timmy if he was coming back and Randolph answered for him, "He's coming back."

Typical Randolph.

Last edited:
That's what I was going to say, chill just took that game over. (Give me the damn ball) coach just sat back like the rest of us and watched the show.

That's what I was going to say, chill just took that game over. (Give me the damn ball) coach just sat back like the rest of us and watched the show.

Chill wasn't exactly receptive to much of what anybody had to say during the last few minutes of the game. Win or lose, it was going to be on him.

This might be deserving of its own thread, but is anyone else listening to the BLeav in Wake Forest podcast by LD and Hoekstra? Lots of just casual convo but pretty fascinating look into various player personalities and the program.

Back