• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: Roster Construction - +LaRavia/Taylor/Walton/Monsanto/Williams/Sy/Marsh

Yes - but it has mostly been against chaps 60 years and older at the Covent Garden YMCA.

0_TRSA20180719A-005_CJPG.jpg

also playing against older dudes in his backyard as the youngest bro in the English Plumlees

I'm pretty sure Matthew has been playing with and against better competition than Cam.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Good question. Cam played against grown ass men in the top British league. Matt played for the U21 squad of a top French team. I don't know how to best compare them. All I know is a few of Cam's teammates and opponents were bench players on D1 NCAA teams. I don't know if Matt's teammates and opponents could play in the states or chose not to do so.

Marsh and Hildreath= Banger and Mash

I'm still deciding if that's funny or not.

Taking a step back, it honestly is bonkers how much Forbes has improved the roster in less than 4 months. Absolutely obliterated my wildest expectations. I'm so pumped for next season.

Cam had a pretty sweet poster dunk today in practice. Clip posted on the Wake MBB Instagram.

That was a nice dunk. Something tells me McCray is going to get him back at some point though.

Cam and Marsh had most of the Top 10 Team GB plays in the FIBA 2018 U16 tournament. Even some of the ones not credited to them are Cam assists.

If Forbes thinks Marsh can contribute he probably can. The Deacs now have five players at least 6'9" in height and all weigh at least 230 pounds. All have skills and the majority have experience. A definite upgrade at the four and five. Mucius is able to concentrate on playing SF. Good makeover in three months.

Don’t want to think too far ahead, but we know Walton and Sy aren’t coming back so it makes sense to bring in a freshman C.

I'm pretty sure Matthew has been playing with and against better competition than Cam.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.

Also, FC Barcelona and ASVEL aren't wasting time and capacity developing high school-aged British kids if they aren't good.

Don’t want to think too far ahead, but we know Walton and Sy aren’t coming back so it makes sense to bring in a freshman C.

This. It's weird that anyone would be surprised at the staff jumping at a potentially viable big, particularly one that isn't a one-year hire. Walton has an injury history and low minute totals as a starter, Ingraham is a complete unknown who put up one big game against a bunch of 6'5" scrubs, LaRavia/Sy are really 4's.

Marsh is a fantastic add considering we're really adding depth and potential at this point. Last year we'd have a player pick up an early foul and suddenly Massoud was playing center. Forbes is vaulting this team forward.

You are not wrong.

Also, FC Barcelona and ASVEL aren't wasting time and capacity developing high school-aged British kids if they aren't good.

How do U21 teams in the French league compare to NCAA teams?

You are not wrong.

I'm excited about him. Hopefully we pump him through admissions and he can join us by August.

We went from one of the smaller teams in the ACC to probably top-5 in length on one off-season.

Sy, Ingraham, Walton and Marsh - 6'10 +

LaRavia - 6'9
Mucius - 6'7? 8?

Length at every position. Daivien is our smallest guys but can get to the rack. He is going to have a monster year for us I think. More efficient than last year. Man, I'm ready for some basketball.

OK, this guy is going to play more than 5 minutes a game for us during this upcoming season...

Wow.

How do U21 teams in the French league compare to NCAA teams?

Probably on par with top AAU competition or low-major NCAA competition. The players are between 16-19 usually, despite the U21 designation, because if you are European, 20 years old, and good, you're probably playing on a continental domestic squad team somewhere and not toiling in a developmental league. LNB Espoirs is the developmental league for the Pro A/"Jeep Elite" teams, and the best guys move up and down between the two rosters. Marsh plays for the 2nd best Espoirs squad and ASVEL is the 2nd best team in Pro A, so it's a good program that does its homework when it comes to scouting and development.

Thanks. So we have two guys who come in with a season at the equivalent of low-major ball who we don't need to start or play significant minutes. That's a good place to be.

Thanks. So we have two guys who come in with a season at the equivalent of low-major ball who we don't need to start or play significant minutes. That's a good place to be.

Yeah and Marsh's resume is definitely the more impressive one at this point in each's career. It would be pretty great if we could pull this off, @WakeAdmissions.

Bringing these over from the Recruiting Thread:

Per game breakdown for Matthew Marsh this past season:

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Matthew-Marsh/GameLogs/139295

The big takeaway is that he was a starter on a 19-2 team. That's a huge plus right there.

He doesn't take a lot of shots, but seems pretty efficient. Doesn't take 3s. Probably a better FT shooter than the .600 looks. He started off 15-17 on the season. Not a lot of blocks. Fouls seem reasonable. Too many turnovers. Very few assists. Based on this and a few highlights, he looks like a banger and finisher. If he can be a quality 4th C in whatever minutes he can get and play physical and get some boards, that's a huge plus.

Here's a quick blurb about Marsh:
https://eurospects.com/18751/
Note: Asvel added former Barcelona prospect and British big man sensation Matthew Marsh. With a better chance at integrating into the first team roster, Marsh will have his work cut out this season. He will start the 20-21 campaign featured with the U21 and no guarantees of meaningful minutes with the pros. But his athletic qualities and finishing ability around and above the rim, and if he holds his own in the Espoir (U21) division, do not be surprise if he gets first team nods.

Here's his page from our old friends at NBADraft.net. Nothing on it but he's got a page.
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/matthew-marsh/

This site lists his skills as interior defender, size, positional size, versatile finisher.
https://id-prospects.com/players/matthew-marsh/

That site ranks him as the #72 prospect outside the US in the 2002 birth year. NBA draft prospects Usman Garuba, Roko Prkačin, Joshua Giddey, Ibou Dianko Badji, and Alperen Şengün are the Top 5. Our man Cam Hildreth is #16.
https://id-prospects.com/rankings/2002/

Here's a profile of him from 2018 when he signed with FC Barcalona.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/basketball/45006541

Back