• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dr. Seuss

I believe his works are representative of the time in which he lived. I doubt anyone back then really thought he was a racist, probably quite the opposite. That said, I think it's probably best that we remove the more questionable works from the canon of children's books.

He was actually very progressive in his views about ham color.

I believe his works are representative of the time in which he lived. I doubt anyone back then really thought he was a racist, probably quite the opposite. That said, I think it's probably best that we remove the more questionable works from the canon of children's books.

nothing more needs to be said

Dr. Seuss was a staple for my kids when they were young. They had his entire library and read them most every night.

Does anyone really believe that Dr. Seuss was a racist?

At one point of his life his work definitely exhibited racism. It also appears that at some point he made a concerted effort to be better and devote himself to kids books with messages of inclusivity.

Dr Suess hasn’t been cancelled. 6 books out of his catalog of over 60 publications won’t be produced anymore. Similar to Disney not producing Song the South.

Ibram Kendi’s book helped me start to think outside the binary of a person being racist or not racist. Historically, there have been segregationists, assimilationists, and anti-racists. We are all capable of holding racist beliefs or perpetuating racist ideas. Many proponents of the abolition of slavery held racist beliefs.

Ibram Kendi’s book helped me start to think outside the binary of a person being racist or not racist. Historically, there have been segregationists, assimilationists, and anti-racists. We are all capable of holding racist beliefs or perpetuating racist ideas. Many proponents of the abolition of slavery held racist beliefs.

+1 moving from a person bring a racist or not to thinking about racist ideas, actions, products, and policies helps move the conversation forward.

So kids can turn on TV in the middle of the afternoon and see every bizarre shit imaginable and it's preferable to cancel Dr. Seuss?

Wow.

Seems like you moved the goalposts there a little bit.

Pretty sure Dr. Seuss was cancelled 4 years ago when his Asian character was deemed racist.

What’s next, Walt Disney?

That’s last week’s cancellation. Keep up.

Dr Suess hasn’t been cancelled. 6 books out of his catalog of over 60 publications won’t be produced anymore. Similar to Disney not producing Song the South.

Yep. And putting warnings on Peter Pan and other films with racist caricatures to contextualize them.

Sure. Doesn’t mean we need to publish and celebrate those beliefs.

I am fine with filtering out the racist content of Suess’ catalog. But at the same time I’ll add the The Sneetches story was a really great way to introduce my young children to the concept of racism when they were very young and gave me the opportunity begin anti-racist teaching at a young age. I don’t know much about Seuss personally but either his thinking evolved from the 1930s when he wrote the books now discontinued to the early 60s when he published the Sneetches, or he compartmentalized his distain for Japanese and Jewish people from racism in general.

If you’re on the same side as Trump Jr, Jim Jordan and Madison Cawthorn you’re on the wrong side

Back