• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Glenn Greenwald

So Townie, let me know if I have this correct. You believe experts should influence policy. The problem is the most organized and influential experts are corporate interests.

I believe corporate interests play an outsized role in writing policy

Ok. The people who organize around their interests will have the most influence. So how do you stop that?

Yeah and republicans mostly control the state legislatures around the country. And all of the worst examples that were shown in there were really pushing right wing initiatives.

There was a time when regulatory capture was something that Democrats worried or even complained about. And generally it’s true that ALEC and other actual legislation drafting private enterprises have waned in influence. Now though, companies are growing so large it would be nearly impossible for the judiciary to even meaningfully enforce regulatory violations they commit. Examples include Amazon pitching language for legislatures to use on facial recognition tech (https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/9/2...tion-draft-legislation-regulation-rekognition).

The top two Dems in America today are both exceptionally highly graded by NAPO, I’ll just leave it there. Many of the same organizations who helped write the crime bill in 1994 who build prisons or sell police departments training and equipment still support Biden today.

If all you’re after is an admission that when Democrats listen to corporations the results are less bad than when Republicans listen to corporations, fine? Just such a low bar for the people you vote for.

Ok. The people who organize around their interests will have the most influence. So how do you stop that?

It begins and ends for me with campaign finance reform. The authors and sponsors of M4A and GND can take the time to become conversant in policy without relying on industry because they don’t spend 10 hrs a day making donor calls, they’re largely small donor funded.

It begins and ends for me with campaign finance reform. The authors and sponsors of M4A and GND can take the time to become conversant in policy without relying on industry because they don’t spend 10 hrs a day making donor calls, they’re largely small donor funded.

Getting money out of campaigns is the key to everything.

Not going to get money out, almost certainly.

But no good reason I’m aware of to not make all political contributions transparent.

No reason to lock out corporate interest or voices (I know, that’s not what anyone is advocating). But all the financing needs to be transparent IMO.

This

Tulsi Gabbard is the latest progressive grifter who is now pushing rightwing talking points on Fox. Quite a cottage industry.

Difference between “progressive” grifters and moderate shitlib grifters is that progressive grifters are politically
irrelevant and shitlib moderate grifters run the Democratic Party and occasionally become President.

It's just remarkable to go from pushing public option healthcare to yucking it up with Sean hannity about cradle to grave mentality of big government programs within a 2 year period. Quite the political transformation.

Tulsi Gabbard is the latest progressive grifter who is now pushing rightwing talking points on Fox. Quite a cottage industry.

Hasn’t she always been like a weirdo QAnon type? Also Democratic grifters, especially moderate Libs, going on Fox News is nothing new:

3a4d044c8acd550f4744ac95ee0bd067.jpg

Manchin is a conservative democrat, and apparently quite a bit to the left of "progressive star" Tulsi Gabbard.

Manchin is a conservative democrat, and apparently quite a bit to the left of "progressive star" Tulsi Gabbard.

Manchin likely goes on Fox as much as possible because that's probably the only "news" network that the great majority of his WV voting base watches. As far as Tulsi becoming another right-wing grifter, albeit one dressed in "progressive" clothing, plenty of people are realizing that there are big bucks to be made in grifting the rubes. Just package whatever you're selling as a conservative, Real American, anti-LibDem product and you can earn a good living, at least for awhile. There's even "conservative coffees" out there selling caffeine to Trumpites.

Link: https://thrashercoffee.com/

I hereby CONDEMN, in the strongest possible terms, everyone who has ever appeared, or ever will appear, on FOX News.

Back