• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Glenn Greenwald

I am a Biden fan who absolutely hates trump and trumpism, and I have a problem with this. Hunter has caused enough headaches for his father and this administration. This is ridiculous, and Tiabbi is 100% right.

The hunter Biden stuff is dumb; he’s kind of a nightmare but still not using his influence to like…topple democracy

But the corruption of the administration is elsewhere. Susan Rice stands to profit huge off the tar sands pipeline

I don’t understand why Dems think they have any high ground ever; they’re just as beholden to the same pharma, big oil, missile/arms, and Wall St interests as Pubs.

Embridge is up a whopping 10% in the last 3 months during a time when all oil and oil supply stocks have been in a big bull segment.

I am in an mlp of oil and gas supply stocks that is up more than that over the same period.

your ideology is interfering with your ability to see the obvious, get rid of your ideology and start to see

Zizek_Slavoj.JPG

Mein Gott, what a shit reading of ideology!

The hunter Biden stuff is dumb; he’s kind of a nightmare but still not using his influence to like…topple democracy

But the corruption of the administration is elsewhere. Susan Rice stands to profit huge off the tar sands pipeline

I don’t understand why Dems think they have any high ground ever; they’re just as beholden to the same pharma, big oil, missile/arms, and Wall St interests as Pubs.

“Just as beholden.” Susan Rice makes it perfectly equal corruption. Actually the centrists must be even more corrupt than Republicans because Democrats include virginal progressives and centrists + progressives = Democrats.

Greenwald and Taibbi would be proud.

Last edited:
Greenwald and Taibbi would be proud.

Amazing that someone can live in the same America I do and use terms like "just as beholden" and "have any high ground ever" - but this is the same grift I guess Townie and Sailor have both fallen for.

Amazing that someone can live in the same America I do and use terms like "just as beholden" and "have any high ground ever" - but this is the same grift I guess Townie and Sailor have both fallen for.

Yeah. That “both sides” grift works because it emboldens the right to believe any corrupt is just evening the score with the Dems and it also discourages the left from picking a side and pulling it left.

You guys know you can just google this stuff, right?

Pelosi: https://www.opensecrets.org/members.../contributors?cid=N00007360&cycle=2020&type=C
Kaiser Permanente
Google
Amazon
Facebook
Wells Fargo
Blue Cross

Hoyer: https://www.opensecrets.org/members.../contributors?cid=N00001821&cycle=2020&type=C
Medstar
A bunch of hedge funds/investment firms
Comcast
Dominion Energy

Schumer: https://www.opensecrets.org/members.../contributors?cid=N00001093&cycle=2020&type=C
Lockheed Martin
Deloitte
Google
Blue Cross

That's just where people who work for those companies tend to give their money, if you look at how PhRMA for example spends their lobbying $, or Oil and Gas or Wall St or Silicon Valley, they spend it directly lobbying the people who have authored bills or intend to author bills on a subject area trying to convince them what language to use or what studies to cite or what policies to push, and for that, they are completely equal opportunity spenders. Kaiser Permanente wrote more lines in the ACA than any Congressional staffer did.

Yeah. That “both sides” grift works because it emboldens the right to believe any corrupt is just evening the score with the Dems and it also discourages the left from picking a side and pulling it left.

The difference between Republicans and Democrats on influence peddling that corporations do is that corporations sell Republicans on getting rich. Corporations sell Democrats on doing the right thing. Both parties are still bought and paid for.

How is it going “pulling the party left” and “holding them accountable.”?

curious to read the trad-dem response to corporatism because I'm genuinely not sure how defensible it is beyond a status quo arg.

How is it going “pulling the party left” and “holding them accountable.”?

Better than it’s been and not as good as it has been. You know, a process. Dems are far more progressive than they’ve ever been. Hell, Schumer came out for marijuana legalization today.

So weird to see people advocate for organizing in a vacuum instead of to impact decision makers.

Last edited:
curious to read the trad-dem response to corporatism because I'm genuinely not sure how defensible it is beyond a status quo arg.

So the only reason I have any secondhand knowledge of this is friends who work for big companies that come to DC to do "govt affairs" work, which is essentially when your company doesn't have to farm out the lobby work to a third party. Take Unilever for example, a company that gets to write "sustainability" bills for Democrats because they're seen as a "green" company with the right corporate ethos. The person I know with Unilever will readily admit that the bills aren't about finding the best fit for the country for sustainability, they're about protecting the long term interests of Unilever's ability to access a reliable supply chain.

So the only reason I have any secondhand knowledge of this is friends who work for big companies that come to DC to do "govt affairs" work, which is essentially when your company doesn't have to farm out the lobby work to a third party. Take Unilever for example, a company that gets to write "sustainability" bills for Democrats because they're seen as a "green" company with the right corporate ethos. The person I know with Unilever will readily admit that the bills aren't about finding the best fit for the country for sustainability, they're about protecting the long term interests of Unilever's ability to access a reliable supply chain.

Obamacare is the classic example

Yea i mentioned above Kaiser Permanente's role in authoring ACA, but it's how the entire legislature works in America in 2021. Policymakers aren't expected to be experts, they're expected to be fundraisers and ballplayers. For expertise, they go to industry and interest groups. I don't know why Chris and Shoo and Ph and others find this remotely controversial.

Its not that they like it. Its a rehash of the argument that the dems are currently far better options (status quo + more progressive tendencies) that the trumpublicans (regressive policies to keep themselves in power despite a clear minority of support for their viewpoints and an increasingly brazen culture of grift). They are obviously saying bosiding the situation only hurts the country long term. Or thats how I read their arguments in this case.

Yeah. Pretty much. Equating corporatism with fascism is fucking ridiculous.

I mean while it can be aggravating that corporations have a lot of influence on writing laws, In reality it's important that major stakeholders have a lot of influence in legislation because they're gonna be the most impacted by it and actually have to operate in that space.

That's also true where legislation impacts public concerns as well like education.

hmm. I think it's fair for stakeholders to provide input on legislation but I think (for example) writing whole bills for congressional actors to rubberstamp & submit seems sketchy and arguably undemocratic.

Back